• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

eryu

eryu

Sep 25, 2021
https://www.madinamerica.com/2022/01/roll-988-threatens-anonymity-crisis-hotlines/

The new mental health hotline number "988" will roll out across America in July of 2022, pushed by hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding alongside another $2 billion for related mental health services.

Last year, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) awarded control of 988 to Vibrant Emotional Health, the New York-based nonprofit that operates the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL). That decision has been protested by some, though, because Vibrant demands that its 180 participating call centers implement a controversial policy of covertly tracing many calls. Furthermore, Vibrant has made clear its desire to prevent all other, non-NSPL crisis lines from receiving any 988 calls or related state funding—endangering the survival of any community-based crisis hotlines that are truly confidential.

It took nearly two years of denied interview requests and stalled freedom of information access efforts to wrest data from SAMHSA showing that Lifeline's covert call-tracing practices affect tens of thousands of callers every year. In November of 2020, Mad in America reported on people who'd had life-upending and often traumatizing experiences when Lifeline conversations they'd been assured were "anonymous and confidential" in fact resulted in them getting visited by police at their homes, schools, or workplaces, and detained against their will in psychiatric hospitals. At the time of their calls, none were intending to or in the process of killing themselves; all were baffled by why they'd been targeted for forced interventions. And indeed, the Lifeline's "Imminent Risk" and "Active Rescue" policies and training show that calls may be traced for a wide variety of vaguely defined rationales intended to "help" people.

But after another year of freedom of information appeals processes, internal NSPL meeting minutes newly obtained by Mad in America, along with recent federal reports, are still more controversially revealing: As the 2020 Mad in America article was in development, the NSPL began holding internal discussions about call tracing. During these meetings, members of the NSPL's own Lived Experience Committee passionately criticized the call-tracing policies and practices—leveling many of the same criticisms that would get raised in the article. In response, Vibrant Emotional Health and NSPL leaders promised changes to reduce call tracing.

However, shortly after those meetings, Vibrant/NSPL leaders began lobbying government for direct control over vastly expanded electronic surveillance and geolocation tracking powers—broader powers than even police routinely wield. If implemented, the result will be an unprecedented invasion of Americans' privacy—the automatic exposure of the personal information and precise physical location of literally everyone who calls, texts, or chats through 988.

WadeingThru

WadeingThru

Experienced
Feb 25, 2022
WOW! Make that phone call and you could end up on a list or worse be hospitalized against your will. They sell it with the best intentions but I don't trust them.

Reactions: height jumper 69
J

justtiredofit

Feb 14, 2022
Anytime I hear someone in a position of power/influence say it's for my benefit, I know it's bs. Yes, you could say someone calling must want help so there's nothing wrong with finding them, but sometimes people just want to speak/vent and nothing more.

Tackingintothewind

Tackingintothewind

Mage
Mar 2, 2021
Americans just use the chat service with a vpn... if you want to speak to lifeline that is

Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
Never use those numbers. I have never trusted them, though didn't know about this…

Reactions: demuic
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
I have always been suspicious of these hotlines, after hearing that some people got the cops called on them after calling.

I'm pretty sure the person you're talking to isn't a mental health professional either, but some volunteer with minimal training. I've heard some horror stories where people called and they were pretty unhelpful, rude even.

_Seeking

_Seeking

I'm only here for this moment
Dec 16, 2021
I find this disgusting, people should have somewhere they can talk honestly about their suicidal feelings with impunity. Instead they are going to get cops sent to their house. I feel like we are in crazy times, this is the only place people can be honest and they are trying to shut it down. So many people need real help, and instead the government is spending billions to get the most vulnerable people punished for their thoughts.

W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I'm just going to be blunt for a second so excuse me. F**K hotlines. I get more support reading randomly generated inspiring qoutes.

Don't even get me started on the consent for treatments s**t. Either you do as they say or be forced to by the court. That is NOT CONSENTTT AJHHHHGGGGG. That is coercion. Vent end.

Just my experiences.

eryu

eryu

Sep 25, 2021
I've never trusted suicide hotlines and I'm certainly not about to start, especially not after this news
There was also this where they are working to compile a list of hotlines that will not trace calls:
https://www.madinamerica.com/2022/02/suicide-hotline-transparency-project/
I should have posted it at the start maybe.
Although the number of lines that responded was small, the results were nevertheless revealing. Of the 95 lines contacted we received 16 answers. Eleven of the 16 said they do trace/intervene without consent.
Not very many but better than nothing if you feel the need to call somewhere. Might be hard to get through...

Reactions: lachrymost
A

Arcitect

Oct 22, 2023
Oh no! Just saw this but my ex made me call them. I only called them for a second them immediately hung up just to get the number on my call log so I could send the screenshot to my ex as proof. I hope I'm not on a tracing list. I'm attempting to pickup a firearm I ordered online tomorrow. Lets see if I pass the background check or if I end up being flagged down :/. Never bought one before and have never been visited by cops.

B

brokeandbroken

Warlock
Apr 18, 2023
Yeah just a way to shove pills down your throat and not provide any actual help. What good is the service if at its core you cannot trust it.