M

MediaRiley

Oct 3, 2023
Was planning to ctb this Saturday but today a friend told me she was suicidal. I feel like such a hypocrite because I told her suicide wasn't the solution. I really can't stand being here anymore but I don't think me dying would be the best thing for her right now. She already relapsed on self harm and I'm scared she'll do something worse if something happens to me.

On that note, I needed something for my method and couldn't get it anywhere else so I asked my sister and she's giving it to me tomorrow. I think if I ctb she'll blame herself so badly but I've wanted to ctb for YEARS. I've been thinking about suicide before I even knew her (she's adopted) but I feel that's still not an excuse? Blood related or not she's still my sister and I don't want her to feel more guilty then I think she'll already feel. I don't know what to do.

• Hugs
Reactions: not_telling
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
What differences do you think there are between your friend's case and yours as to the appropriateness of suicide?

Your death will probably trigger your friend to carry out CTB herself. And your sister will probably feel guilty about having unknowingly provided you the means.

Those are just the sad facts that you'll have to accept.

Do they know about your desires at all?

M

MediaRiley

Oct 3, 2023
What differences do you think there are between your friend's case and yours as to the appropriateness of suicide?

Your death will probably trigger your friend to carry out CTB herself. And your sister will probably feel guilty about having unknowingly provided you the means.

Those are just the sad facts that you'll have to accept.

Do they know about your desires at all?
Not the full story. My friend knows I've dealt with self harm and my sister knows about my eating/body issues but I don't think either of them suspect I would end my life.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Not the full story. My friend knows I've dealt with self harm and my sister knows about my eating/body issues but I don't think either of them suspect I would end my life.
It's a very tough situation you're in. Can I ask what your sister gave you that you needed?

Are suicidal thoughts more of a cyclical thing for your friend than chronic?

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I feel like such a hypocrite because I told her suicide wasn't the solution.
All my god damn friends love their lives, which makes me hate the fuckers even more (sometimes), so I can't really relate. I imagine if I were in that situation though I would also be a hypocrite and tell them that there's still hope, despite wanting to end everything for myself.

I have no idea what is happening in your life but based off of the information you gave I would personally attempt to obtain a different method independently to save anyone from the blame and then simultaneously while you work on that attempt to dissuade your friend from committing suicide at all costs. Then in 3 months to 1 year you can re-evaluate and determine whether to die or to postpone the decision for another few months.

I know, I know I'm a terrible person (and I don't mean that sarcastically), but if we look at this from an excruciatingly cynical point of view, if your friend really needs to commit suicide they will take your advice and the advice of many other people and then decide for themselves. What you say can have an impact but ultimately they will be making the decision on whether or not to do it themselves, and despite what people will say, no one can really stop them once they determine what they want. I imagine, if they did end up deciding to die, their final days would be even more terrible if they reached out and no one really seemed interested in responding to their plea for emotional support. Of course I wouldn't know, you won't catch me asking my friends for emotional support fuck that.

Considering that you will soon die I would also ditch literally all obligations and save just barely enough to go see the UK. They talk with the funniest sounding accent I've ever heard in my (relatively short) life but I've never gotten to hear it in real life. I can't just let it end like that without getting to be surrounded by these strange freedom hating people, and honestly I don't think you can either. You could also go to Ireland if you had some relatives who came over 100 years ago like me but they're almost the exact same so it'll be a decision you'll have to make on a whim once you get there. I'll leave that part up to your better judgement once you're there.

Here is that list again of exactly what would do, but in a more concise and ordered format (annotated and dated for your convenience):

1 - 10/5/23 - 12/31/23 ) Convince friend to not die and/or give some bs about how there's a place for them in the world and/or find god (bonus points if you try to convert them to scientology please send pics)
2 - 1/1/24 - 5/1/24) Ditch all current obligations, begin saving for trip to UK (consider custom ordering "UK the 51st State?" memorabilia beforehand to wear while you are there, again, please send pictures of you with the native British population)
3 - 5/2/24 - 6/30/24) Go to the UK, film the british people and their distinctly hilarious accents. Extend your trip by staying in hostels or by working gig jobs with under the table payment (in theory you could try to overstay your visa indefinitely, but england is a dangerous place so I wouldn't)
4 - 7/1/24 - 10/1/24) Secure suicide method independent of your sister. Something tells me your method may not be reliable either if it was something some normal person had lying around. I, personally, would not settle for anything lower than a %85-95 percent success rate. If you are going to do it make it painless and ensure that you won't end up in a vegetative state. The extra time spent preparing is nothing compared to the amount of time you will be trapped in your own body unable to move if you screw up.
5 - 10/2/24 - 10/5/24) Re-evaluate and determine whether to end it or temporarily extend it.

I realize now that this sounds like some pro-life propaganda over here and honestly that's just not my intention. Ultimately whatever you do is in your hands and not mine. I'm on here because I want to die as well. If you ask me what I would do in this situation though, it would be to simultaneously get affairs in order so that someone isn't blaming themselves for what happened and also cutting out unnecessary burdens or obligations and partying like its 1999. I'll admit I've never actually been completely free of obligations and I doubt you have either, but I would at least try freeing yourself just once before you make your decision, since it sounds like (based off of your post) that you'll probably end up waiting sometime anyways if you've already waited 6 years and are telling your friend not to do it.

Regardless, I am just a stranger on the internet who you will likely never meet. I can only tell you my honest opinion, with some dumb sarcasm thrown in (sorry its getting late). Nothing that I type here has any real substance or meaning. I won't disrespect you by attempting to give fake platitudes, and I won't pretend to be so great that I could know what it feels like to be in your shoes.

Carefully analyze every option and then make the right decisions for you and only you. One decision at a time. If you're as dumb as me I'll see you in the UK.

Reactions: MediaRiley and hetwordtmeteveel
C

cosnidering_ctb

Oct 4, 2023
In some ways it's always easier to advise others than to see ourselves. You should consider the difference between your friend's case and yours. It's not necessarily hypocritical.