• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Definitelyworried

Definitelyworried

Jun 19, 2018
It is generally considered that humans are the only known beings to use weapons when putting an end to their own life. There are examples of animals dying in defence of their family or colony, such as the case of pea aphids increasing their chances of death as a response to parasitism.[1] Many animals that appear to be depressed or grieving begin to exhibit self-destructive behavior that sometimes ends in death.[2] In 1845, the Illustrated London News reported that a Newfoundland dog had been acting less lively over a period of days before being seen "to throw himself in the water and endeavor to sink by preserving perfect stillness of the legs and feet".[2] Every time he was rescued he attempted to do this again before he finally held his head underwater until death.[2] Other dogs, as well as ducks, have also drowned themselves.[3] One duck did so after the death of its mate.[4] Some dogs will refuse food after the death of their owner until they die as well.[4] In 2009, 28 cows and bulls mysteriously threw themselves off a cliff in the Swiss Alps over the span of three days.[5][better source needed] One deer leapt from a cliff to its death so as to avoid being captured by hunting dogs.[4] Another famous example of animal suicide is the case of the dolphin which most often portrayed Flipper, on the 1960s television show Flipper. According to trainer Richard O' Barry in the film The Cove,Kathy, the dolphin, drowned herself before him.[6] Suicidal behavior has been observed more in female animals than male and in more vertebrates than invertebrates.[7]

Animal suicide was long used to define human suicide; in the 1800s animal suicide was seen as an act of abuse, madness, love, or loyalty, the same acts human suicide was seen as.[2] Although it is impossible to determine what drives animals to self-destruction, some specific traits associated with human suicide can be successfully transferred to animals.[8] Scientists have been unable to explain whether animals are able to consciously end their own lives.[7]

Fylobatica

Fylobatica

Inactive
Apr 1, 2018
Scientists have been unable to explain whether animals are able to consciously end their own lives.

Nah. It's known that animals might suffer from the very same mental illness that plague humans, and it's not a surprising factor since we're animals (mammalians) as well.
In particular, many vertebrates suffer while watching their caring owners (or other members of the same species and close peer group) die and get depressed; often some animals (captive orcas, for example) hate unnatural environments and start developing behavioural problems.
Animals are conscious and not surprisingly can feel the weight of existence.

M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
I didn't know it and I found it interesting, but I'm not surprised. Life is very shitty for almost every animal too.
Some animals are lucky enough to not have any predators, so they just chill. In a sense, their lives aren't as bad as lives of animals such as say, gazelles who are ripped to shreds by predators in an every day basis. Or chicken, cows, etc... Who are born just to be killed and fed to our disgusting and worthless species (humans).

Although whether the lives of animals without predators is good or not, well, that is up for them to decide. Maybe having an actual good life is not even possible in this world.

T

Tiburcio

Some animals are lucky enough to not have any predators, so they just chill. In a sense, their lives aren't as bad as lives of animals such as say, gazelles who are ripped to shreds by predators in an every day basis. Or chicken, cows, etc... Who are born just to be killed and fed to our disgusting and worthless species (humans).

Although whether the lives of animals without predators is good or not, well, that is up for them to decide. Maybe having an actual good life is not even possible in this world.
Having no predators doesn't make automatically their life good. There is, for example, the great competence between animals of different or the same species.

Very few animals can be truly happy...

I think in the example dogs. If they are lucky enough to find a good owner, it could be. Unfortunalely a lot of people gives them too bad treat.

I just remembered an animal who sleep more than 20 hours each day. I don't remember what animal is or if it has predators but just the idea sounds awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
Having no predators doesn't make automatically their life good. There is, for example, the great competence between animals of different or the same species.

Very few animals can be truly happy...

I think in the example dogs. If they are lucky enough to find a good owner, it could be. Unfortunalely a lot of people gives them too bad treat.

I just remembered an animal who sleep more than 20 hours each day. I don't remdmber what animal is or if it has predstors but just the idea sounds awesome.
Sure. There is this one animal though, I don't remember the name but I saw it on the Brave Wilderness channel on YouTube and it not only lacks predators, but it also eats algae, which is pretty much everywhere in the sea. That said, one could still argue this specific animal isn't truly happy. I mean, depending on an animal's mental capabilities, it might not even be able to feel things like happiness and sadness.

Dogs sleep almost that much, especially when they get older. My dog, for example, sleeps for at least 12~14 hours every day and she is only 6. I wonder how long she will sleep in a day when she is an elderly dog.

EuroMan

EuroMan

Jul 9, 2018
I used to thinking lemmings suicide,i think because i have computer game about.Really i think lemmings suicide misconception.

maktubler

maktubler

May 22, 2018

I love me some chicken tho

M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
I love me some chicken tho
Sure. So do I. I am a "meat person", but I am not proud of it. I could live without eating animals, but I don't. Then again the alternative is to eat plants. and it is not like plants don't feel pain when they are destroyed to become food. I guess that is another good thing about killing yourself: You stop contributing with the robbery of lives of other living beings for the sake of your survival and enjoyment.

T

Tiburcio

Sure. So do I. I am a "meat person", but I am not proud of it. I could live without eating animals, but I don't. Then again the alternative is to eat plants. and it is not like plants don't feel pain when they are destroyed to become food. I guess that is another good thing about killing yourself: You stop contributing with the robbery of lives of other living beings for the sake of your survival and enjoyment.
I can relate with everything you said here.

I just hope finishing all the next month.