solanastan16

solanastan16

May 4, 2021
It's so easy to say "seek professional help" to anyone with mental illness but I think what's important to remember, in any area of your life basically, is to understand context.

I see most individuals here come from developed countries who have any easier access to mental health resources. But it's vastly coming from a developing country. I don't mean to minimize anyone's struggle here, I'm just pointing out that if healthcare was accessible and affordable for me I'd keep trying to find the right therapist. But as a broke college student living with parents that barely make ends meet, it's a pressure cooker.

But from what I read here too that it never worked out for some so I don't even know if the trouble's worth it. Anyone wanna share their struggles?

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, lobster salad and Sensei
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Therapy will basically only help in cases where it's not really needed at all. I've been to three of them and they were all retarded rent-a-friends. They either just chit-chat and count the money or try to do the simpleton cbt bullshit (ctb > cbt).

• Hugs
Reactions: FuneralCry, saltshaker and solanastan16
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Getting a therapist here in Argentina is quite easy. However, the service is ridiculous!!

I've seen 10 different psychologists throughout my life and they all gave me cheap speeches such as "Things are not as bad as you think", "You just gotta make an effort", "Life is precious" and so on.

There are no magic words for depression and suicidal thoughts and I don't know what's the real way to help people like us but from what I've seen, talking about our problems on SS with individuals who actually understand how we feel, helps a lot.

At least it's helping me. After all, I'm alive thanks to you all.

As for therapy, I prefer to talk to my dog or wall. Yet, I think everyone should seek help. It works for some persons.

Hugs,

Matt

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: demuic, solanastan16 and Ramirez
Ramirez

Ramirez

Criminally insane
Jun 10, 2019
I can only speak from my perspective of course..I have had therapy pretty much all of my life with alot of shitty but some good therapists aswell. But I think if someone really suffers from a severe mental illness and has for a long time then there is not much any therapist can do. But that's just me and how I experience it. Therapy might help you and turn it around for you. So if you think it's worth the trouble dont let it discourage you.

Reactions: FuneralCry and demuic
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think it depends on the person and what problem they have. Personally I think therapy is more efficient for easily solvable problems and some problems are too complex and long lasting that talking techniques like cbt won't help them. I think if people can find the right therapist which can be hard and they are motivated, then they could see results. Personally I think none of that stuff would help me as I have had neurological problems my whole life and there is no way to change how my brain is wired.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, solanastan16 and Ramirez
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think even with access to the right resources it's not always enough because what's the point in taking the exhausting effort of trying to get a therapist: things like figuring out which would be covered by a health insurance provider, finding one locally, and even scheduling that first appointment... If I had the mental energy to do all that myself why would I even need therapy in the first place? So stupid.

• Hugs
Reactions: FuneralCry, saltshaker, rosie and 3 others
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
It's so easy to say "seek professional help" to anyone with mental illness but I think what's important to remember, in any area of your life basically, is to understand context.

I see most individuals here come from developed countries who have any easier access to mental health resources. But it's vastly coming from a developing country. I don't mean to minimize anyone's struggle here, I'm just pointing out that if healthcare was accessible and affordable for me I'd keep trying to find the right therapist. But as a broke college student living with parents that barely make ends meet, it's a pressure cooker.

But from what I read here too that it never worked out for some so I don't even know if the trouble's worth it. Anyone wanna share their struggles?
Try to get one. For some they help!
I can only speak from my perspective of course..I have had therapy pretty much all of my life with alot of shitty but some good therapists aswell. But I think if someone really suffers from a severe mental illness and has for a long time then there is not much any therapist can do. But that's just me and how I experience it. Therapy might help you and turn it around for you. So if you think it's worth the trouble dont let it discourage you.
I can relate to this. But not everyone is that severly ill like me. ANd it helps to have someone to talk to.

solanastan16

solanastan16

May 4, 2021
I did try to get help. I even changed therapists twice. I got prescribed pills that in the long run I couldn't afford. Yk cause covid. So really I don't have options.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: demuic and WornOutLife
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I've tried it and it didn't help. Pills just gave me side effects. I don't think therapy or the meds that are currently covered by insurance can help my "depression" because most of it stems from the reality of my bleak outlook and abilities in life.

I do want to try stimulants to help with possible ADHD but I can't find anyone who will prescribe without a diagnosis and everywhere around me it's expensive to get one and not covered by insurance.

• Hugs
Reactions: FuneralCry, Ramirez and Dr Iron Arc
C

Choicer

May 7, 2021
The trouble is many would need long term therapy with someone they trust. Easier said than done. I was frustrated reading that I've had numerous interventions that haven't worked. The most sessions I've ever had in one go is about ten. The moment you start to get anywhere it's time for sessions to end and someone else to have their turn. I do believe it can change lives but it takes time, effort and a lot of money.

Reactions: demuic
R

rosie

Aug 13, 2018

it's really not as simple as everyone makes it sound like it. doctors will just chuck you on pills and hope for the best so they don't have to see you again

Reactions: Choicer and demuic