P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
Wanted to share this somewhere not public to my other socials, and wanted some advice on what I should do.

Last Thursday my bf and I came home to a stray kitten on my doorstep. From what I understand now, she's semi-feral. Comfortable being around us, exposed her belly to us when laying down, vocalizes, makes calm eye contact, but does not like being touched (I touched her paws a few times which she tolerated, but non-aggressively hissed when I touched her flank). She also ate directly from my hand and responded when I shook our cat's food bag.
I can tell she's a kitten from her appearance and the glimpses I got of her teeth. They were tiny, and she's tiny too. Just under grown size, and not filled out. My bf and I have been calling her Arya instead of just referring to her as the stray cat. It's a nice name, and I think it fits somewhat. Since then, I've been leaving food in a cat carrier out for her. Our cat is 13 years old, so I'm only able to give her senior formula food. But I know it's not her main diet, because I occasionally find bird feathers around the yard and neighborhood. I think it's a good supplement for her though. I've been topping the food with some of those meat puree squeeze treats (the one I have is chicken and duck puree).

She only visits at night, and has been visiting every night since last Thursday up until last night. The food was untouched this morning, but Im holding out hope that she just got scared/busy with something and is still safe. I'd like to tame and adopt her because my neighborhood isn't the safest place for a kitten or any cat in general. We have coyotes, along with really shitty kids who have tortured strays before (that was a few years ago now though, I think they're gone).
Praying for her safety always. If/when I catch her, I'm going to take her to the local animal shelter to have her scanned for a microchip and possibly adopt her.

Does anyone have any tips or stories about their own stray/semi-feral cats?
Also last Thursday while we were feeding her, we tried to coax her into the house but I'm sure she was put off by the already existing cat smell from Shadow. He also came up behind us to investigate and I had to shoo him away and temporarily put him in another room.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: corazon, Pluto, delora and 9 others
Mechanical Dance

Mechanical Dance

"I'm a monstrosity. An abomination."
May 28, 2023
I also have a stray visiting my house often, she was already kinda tamed but I can tell that she was mistreated by a previous owner. If you can, I'd recommend to set up some kind of bed for her, an old blanket or warm clothes under a small roof is enough, I live in a very rainy place so it helps my stray friend stay dry and warm! Take good care of Arya :)

Reactions: Pluto, not-2-b-the-answer, AvoidingMyself and 1 other person
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
I also have a stray visiting my house often, she was already kinda tamed but I can tell that she was mistreated by a previous owner. If you can, I'd recommend to set up some kind of bed for her, an old blanket or warm clothes under a small roof is enough, I live in a very rainy place so it helps my stray friend stay dry and warm! Take good care of Arya :)
Alright! It's pretty hot here, even at night, so I thought it would be too much at first. The first night we saw her was hot as well, and she was panting at times. I might put a towel or something over the top of the carrier. It's a mesh/fabric carrier with an opening on the top and front. She may feel too exposed up top to stay in it for the night. it is located under one of our Holly bushes by the front door.
At some point I also want to set out water for her maybe with some ice in it to keep it cool. We put ice in our chickens' water tin during these months as well. At first I wasn't going to because we live near a lake, but now I'm thinking it's a bit of a walk for her tiny legs and there's more predators at the marina (mainly snakes but they'd probably prefer smaller animals)

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake, not-2-b-the-answer and Mechanical Dance
Mechanical Dance

Mechanical Dance

"I'm a monstrosity. An abomination."
May 28, 2023
Alright! It's pretty hot here, even at night, so I thought it would be too much at first. The first night we saw her was hot as well, and she was panting at times. I might put a towel or something over the top of the carrier. It's a mesh/fabric carrier with an opening on the top and front. She may feel too exposed up top to stay in it for the night. it is located under one of our Holly bushes by the front door.
At some point I also want to set out water for her maybe with some ice in it to keep it cool. We put ice in our chickens' water tin during these months as well. At first I wasn't going to because we live near a lake, but now I'm thinking it's a bit of a walk for her tiny legs and there's more predators at the marina (mainly snakes but they'd probably prefer smaller animals)
I see, it could still be a good idea to set up a place to sleep, just not a warm one. Definitely set water with some ice! Maybe one or two ice cubes at night and refill it if she stays there long enough.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
cats are too pure for this world. Rooting for Arya :heart:
Perhaps you could start to lightly stroke her with your other hand while feeding her? I think that would get her used to being petted.

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake, Sweet Tart, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
cats are too pure for this world. Rooting for Arya :heart:
Perhaps you could start to lightly stroke her with your other hand while feeding her? I think that would get her used to being petted.
I'm hoping to be able to do that when I see her again! She's been coming around during the night, and I haven't physically seen her since that first time, but my brother says he's seen her in our neighbors yard a day or two ago (around 10-11pm). I am a little nervous to touch her head judging by how she reacted when I touched her flank. She hissed, but her body language wasn't aggressive. Ears and whiskers were still forward, still laying down on her side relaxing. I set some catnip in the carrier I have outside, but I'm not sure how much it'll help since she's young.
When our old man Shadow was a kitten he didn't react to catnip at all. Now the dude loves it lol and he gets so loud when I reach for the tin!
I have a childhood blanket I'm gonna put out there tonight, but I'll have to move the food out of the carrier or have it at the back with the blanket up front. It's small and soft

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rationaltake, Sweet Tart and not-2-b-the-answer
J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
I'm hoping to be able to do that when I see her again! She's been coming around during the night, and I haven't physically seen her since that first time, but my brother says he's seen her in our neighbors yard a day or two ago (around 10-11pm). I am a little nervous to touch her head judging by how she reacted when I touched her flank. She hissed, but her body language wasn't aggressive. Ears and whiskers were still forward, still laying down on her side relaxing. I set some catnip in the carrier I have outside, but I'm not sure how much it'll help since she's young.
When our old man Shadow was a kitten he didn't react to catnip at all. Now the dude loves it lol and he gets so loud when I reach for the tin!
aww <3 poor baby. I'm sure you'll manage to tame her, in time :)

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Paperclips
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
Lil update: The blanket I had in mind was much too big, but I did find a smaller blanket in my closet as well as a large pillowy scarf. I don't use either anymore, so I'm fine with them getting covered in cat hair and mulch lol
Ill leave more food and a bowl of water out tonight. Had to dump out the food from last night because it was old and ants got to it
The scarf is in the carrier and just barely fits with the bowl of food. I draped the blanket over the top of the carrier so it's cool and dark inside

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake, Sweet Tart and not-2-b-the-answer
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
We took in a semi feral last year, and he's my joy in life. He was fully grown (though still young), skittish as anything but willing to approach for food (and then wanted pets afterward 💗). He domesticated himself amazingly quickly, you would've thought perhaps he went missing as a kitten or something? But, no one claimed him and he wasn't microchipped, so now it's me who gets to spoil him as much as possible 🥰 I've spent a crazy amount of time helping him be less skittish (it's like he has ptsd), but now on the way to his food bowl I often get to carry him! I can play with his paws all day, and if he's sleepy I can pet his tummy (otherwise that's an invitation to play!). He's the best 😻

Food is the best/easiest way to bond with shy and nervous animals, so it's very difficult that she comes at night and so you can't be there to feed her and stay close by so that she can get used to your presence (and gradually getting closer). I mean, I've feed plenty of ducks (even a not-so-wild buck) by hand thanks to the power of food.

If food and gradually warming up to you isn't an option, well when we were trying to find if our little guy had a home he was missing from, I befriended the local cat ladies and I'm sure they'd be the first to recommend using a cat trap and bringing her inside and uh probably de-fleaing her immediately. (Probably your vet has a trap you could borrow, at least ours did however so do the local cat ladies as they trap and bring in feral cats for neutering/spaying as their hobby! :P Fortunately, we never used it - we were just afraid that when we put him in a carrier to take him to the vet, he'd feel betrayed and run away and not come back 💔)

Soooo yeah: trapping little Arya, and dedicating a room to her so that it can build up her scent and make her feel comfortable is what I'd do (as Jackson Galaxy says: scent is how cats feel comfortable).

Then spend a couple weeks with her in the room, as much time as you can just sitting in there quietly. Feed her and see the minimum distance she prefers you to stay (eg 5 feet away) while she eats, and every few days inch closer. Eventually she will accept that you are not a psychopath :)

Just sitting quietly with them is so important, I once read a comment of a lady who rescued a very shy cat who would just hide under the guest bed all day. Eventually she went in there, and just spent all evening in there, lying on the ground and facing the cat under the bed. The next day, the cat finally came out from under the bed!

Oh and there are some wonderful youtube videos that take you step by step how to introduce two cats with minimal fuss :)

Not sure how helpful this was, but best of luck with helping this wonderful little girl! (In the middle of writing this, my precious fella came inside - right on time from his evening stroll. He goes out usually twice a day, in the morning and evening, otherwise he'll just want to be sleeping near you 🥰🥰🥰)

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake, Paperclips, pole and 1 other person
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
I don't have any advice but I just think you are awesome for doing this. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake, Paperclips and stilldreaming
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
don't have any advice since others have provided plenty.

all i ask is if you can include pictures of the kitten in your next update pls

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake, Sweet Tart, Paperclips and 2 others
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021

I actually clicked on this hoping to see some pictures and first scrolled through looking for them 😭 Hope Arya's okay! :)

• Hugs
Reactions: Paperclips, pole and not-2-b-the-answer
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018

Just be careful there isn't any way you can be doxed. .🤗

• Hugs
Reactions: Sweet Tart, Paperclips and pole
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
Thank you for all the wonderful responses! I'll try to get a pic of her when I can, I'm anxious to see her again ^^
Left some food out for her tonight, and I'm hoping to find it empty in the morning so I know she's doing alright and still visiting us

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake, not-2-b-the-answer, stilldreaming and 2 others
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
Update (no pics sorry) !

She's alright! I wasn't able to catch her sleeping, but I did notice the scarf I laid down was more spread out and flatter than I had left it. I'll have to check later if there's any cat hair or smell left on it. Thinking back, I should've taken pics of the carrier last night and this morning to compare, but hindsight and all. The food I left out was also eaten. It's funny how I'm pretty much only getting *evidence* now that she's been around lol.
At some point on one of my off days, I do want to pull an all nighter to see if I can catch when she comes around. Just wish I had a motion camera, would make things so much simpler.
Also, I think the reason why she didn't touch the food was something I had mentioned prior. I had put catnip in her food that day to see if it would help any, and I believe she was repulsed by it. She's about 6-8 months old, and I recall a similar thing happening with Shadow and his late brother Snuggles when they were still kittens. I was WAY younger then, and I had only heard that catnip makes them act funny and wanted to try it. I didn't know until I grew older that kittens don't always have a reaction, and it's something they develop when they grow older. Shadow and Snuggles were also repulsed by the catnip back then (of course Shadow loves it now, and I'm sure if his brother were still around he would too ❤️).
Last night I didn't use catnip at all and she ate it

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rationaltake, Sweet Tart, Twntysix and 3 others
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
Tonight my bf and I are going to stay up to try and see her again when she comes by.

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake and not-2-b-the-answer
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
Arya update:
Had no luck last night, I set the food out at 9pm, we checked at 10:30pm and it was gone. Literally in the span of an hour and a half.

A local TNR/Foster is helping me out by loaning me a cat trap. I'm getting it later today, and I'm going to set it up Sunday night with food and water. Monday morning, she should be inside and I'll take her to our animal shelter to get her scanned for a microchip and adopt her

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: stilldreaming, delora, not-2-b-the-answer and 4 others
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
Arya update:
Had no luck last night, I set the food out at 9pm, we checked at 10:30pm and it was gone. Literally in the span of an hour and a half.

A local TNR/Foster is helping me out by loaning me a cat trap. I'm getting it later today, and I'm going to set it up Sunday night with food and water. Monday morning, she should be inside and I'll take her to our animal shelter to get her scanned for a microchip and adopt her
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Reactions: Paperclips
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
I'll be setting out the trap tonight. She's been pretty consistent about coming every single night, so I'll definitely have some pictures by tomorrow morning ❤️

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: stilldreaming, Twntysix, Sweet Tart and 1 other person
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
(Ayra pics!!)

IMG 20230731 072944 IMG 20230731 072949 IMG 20230731 072800
Shelter doesn't open for another 2 hours unfortunately. We had a moment where the sprinklers in the planter went off and I had to move her in front of the door.

• Love
Reactions: stilldreaming, not-2-b-the-answer and Twntysix
T

Twntysix

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
Aug 26, 2021
Awwww she is super cuuteee 💜💜💜

• Love
P

Paperclips

silly things
Jul 16, 2023
We ended up finding her actual owners (I hope it's not just people who want a free cat, but she was sort of calm when they picked her up) Kind of sad she's gone, but it's probably for the best.
It's still incredibly irresponsible of them to let their cat out like they did. Whether they didn't know or they did it on purpose. She's been out for weeks, and there was always a possibility of her being eaten by the coyotes in our area. I hope she's taken care of better from now on

• Hugs
Reactions: stilldreaming, not-2-b-the-answer, rationaltake and 1 other person
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
We ended up finding her actual owners (I hope it's not just people who want a free cat, but she was sort of calm when they picked her up) Kind of sad she's gone, but it's probably for the best.
It's still incredibly irresponsible of them to let their cat out like they did. Whether they didn't know or they did it on purpose. She's been out for weeks, and there was always a possibility of her being eaten by the coyotes in our area. I hope she's taken care of better from now on
It was a good thing that you did. ❤️ Even if you didn't get to keep her. 🤗

• Hugs
Reactions: Paperclips and rationaltake
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
oh they sound so irresponsible :( We hesitated doing anything for a long time with our little semi feral fellow, even though we were preparing for a move and were getting increasingly stressed about what to do with him since he clearly seemed to consider us his food source (and had even begun napping inside!). We did try asking around locally (he wasn't microchipped), but finally I was like, even if he does have humans somewhere they're horribly neglectful and don't deserve him, and so we're taking him with.

We actually consulted with a vet pretty quickly after getting to know him as we noticed - pretty gross, sorry! - that he had parasites. They advised not treating him as he probably had a home and they didn't want to risk double-dosing him. So we waited a couple more weeks before going back and saying they (if the humans existed) had a month to treat him, and no dice so we dewormed and defleaed him. Not to mention, but he went from being skeletal to just looking like a normal skinny cat thanks to coming to us for food......so we catnapped him and microchipped him and the rest is history! He's just the best, and I hate the thought of him being born around people who didn't take care of him and just let him wander off as though he weren't unbearably precious and in need of lots of babying throughout the day :(

I hope they treat Arya better now (and if not, that she runs back to you!! 😽) And thanks for sharing pictures of her and helping her out so much! Helping animals is always worth it :)

• Love