• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I've been on Effexor (75mg) for about 4 months, prescribed for chronic pain.

About a week ago, I forgot to take my pill. The next day I felt fine so didn't take it again. On third day, I was feeling dizzy and frazzled so took half a dose. About 3 days later (today), same thing, but less dizzy, and took a half dose again.

I never found any improvement in my pain, but anxiety, dwelling on negative thoughts seemed to improve. Over the past couple days, though, I've been finding myself returning to negative thoughts (back to ruminating over the mistakes in my life). For example, I had a 45 minute drive today to visit a friend. The whole way I was thinking through my "list" of greatest mistakes I've made.... haven't done that for a while.

This is my first time on an Anti-D (SSRI/SNRI). I hate their mechanism and addictive trap. But now wondering if my life might be better staying on a low dose.

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018

About a week ago, I forgot to take my pill. The next day I felt fine so didn't take it again. On third day, I was feeling dizzy and frazzled so took half a dose. About 3 days later (today), same thing, but less dizzy, and took a half dose again.

I never found any improvement in my pain, but anxiety, dwelling on negative thoughts seemed to improve. Over the past couple days, though, I've been finding myself returning to negative thoughts (back to ruminating over the mistakes in my life). For example, I had a 45 minute drive today to visit a friend. The whole way I was thinking through my "list" of greatest mistakes I've made.... haven't done that for a while.

This is my first time on an Anti-D (SSRI/SNRI). I hate their mechanism and addictive trap. But now wondering if my life might be better staying on a low dose.
To me I think my medications are required for any chance of hope to recover. The sad thing is I have no access to it due to I cant leave my room, waiting on disability, and do not have insurance. It isn't easy at all. So until I am able to again I just have to hang on for dear life which is not an easy task.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018

I had a few days off of Effexor, and man, the dip in my spirits, or the withdrawal symptoms, whatever it's called is tough. The self-loathing and flat affect is pronounced. Unlike you, I can't pinpoint certain behaviors when I go off of the drug, but all I know is that I feel really, really low. With this recent lapse in my I can't even look in the mirror. I get so frustrated with myself for not being able to do something as simple as taking a pill consistently. My shrink and my parents -- after a recent car accident in which I was involved -- want me to get off the Effexor and take something with a longer half-life. Anyway, I can relate to the withdrawal to which you're referring. I don't think I will ever be off anti-depressants; I'm too reliant on them.

Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
My shrink and my parents -- after a recent car accident in which I was involved -- want me to get off the Effexor and take something with a longer half-life.
The half-life issue was exactly why I got off it myself. If it was just a bit past the time for my next dose, I would get these awful zaps in my brain. It was painful.

swan_song

swan_song

Jun 4, 2019
Effexor... oh, man. Been taking it for the last decade (psychiatrist recently upped my dosage to 150 mg to supposedly aid with symptoms of decreasing Alprazolam (Xan) usage)).

My fun little anecdote about it is that in 2015, I gradually (over a period of... two months, I think?) reduced my dosage up until the point of not feeling any physical withdrawal symptoms at all upon not taking it (anybody in here who's ever been on it for quite a while knows the physical withdrawal when missing a pill for one mere day are hellish and akin to having the flu while recovering from being run over by a truck).
I thought I was fine for about two weeks or so, and then the joyride began; I experienced about 2 months (which lasted up until I went back to taking it) of the ugliest, most dreadful depression episode I've ever had. I simply did not want to exist, and back then I was absolutely not equipped to deal with these feelings. I mean, I don't think anybody is, TBH, but also, I realized that it was getting off the drug that was making me feel this way and not my "objective" situation, cause up until then I've been relatively OK. My usual, mostly depressed self, but OK.

I don't see myself getting off of it anytime soon.

Reactions: Loli and Circles
azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
Effexor... oh, man. Been taking it for the last decade (psychiatrist recently upped my dosage to 150 mg to supposedly aid with symptoms of decreasing Alprazolam (Xan) usage)).

My fun little anecdote about it is that in 2015, I gradually (over a period of... two months, I think?) reduced my dosage up until the point of not feeling any physical withdrawal symptoms at all upon not taking it (anybody in here who's ever been on it for quite a while knows the physical withdrawal when missing a pill for one mere day are hellish and akin to having the flu while recovering from being run over by a truck).
I thought I was fine for about two weeks or so, and then the joyride began; I experienced about 2 months (which lasted up until I went back to taking it) of the ugliest, most dreadful depression episode I've ever had. I simply did not want to exist, and back then I was absolutely not equipped to deal with these feelings. I mean, I don't think anybody is, TBH, but also, I realized that it was getting off the drug that was making me feel this way and not my "objective" situation, cause up until then I've been relatively OK. My usual, mostly depressed self, but OK.

I don't see myself getting off of it anytime soon.
swan_song, I'm SO glad you lived to tell that story. I wish I understood a LITTLE bit of chemistry to understand what causes those sharp withdrawal symptoms.
If you had the discipline and presence of mind to wean yourself, I'm surprised you had that 2-month death march you so beautifully described. (That period of time does not sound beautiful, but your written account of it is.) Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences with Effexor. That's one of my favorite things about SS: swapping stories about meds with smart people. ( I just realized that this website and your username have the same initials.) I LOVE SS!!!! :)