F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
strictly my opinion, not meant to discount anybody's opinions, feelings or beliefs.
Here I go: Going through most posts here, I get the feeling that most are confirming the mainstream pro life argument that only mentally unstable people commit suicide. Most posts here seem to suggest that most people here are suicidal because they have mental illness. I thought people off themselves for other reasons, eg failed business, relationships, poverty, or for philosophical reasons. Funny thing, I'm yet to see people here talk about such. Its all about visits/ relationship with therapists, etc. It's like a confirmation to stereotype pro life theory.

• Wow
  • Hmph!
Reactions: niki wonoto, Sprite_Geist, StateOfMind and 6 others
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
stereotypes are dumb anyways. If I judge people with stereotypes, I'll probably start a genocide (hyperbole on my side).

giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Wrennie, Sprite_Geist, Ghost2211 and 5 others
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
I disagree , having been on the site for quite a while I`d say it was evenly balanced between , terminal illness , chronic illness/pain , failure be it in work , family , relationships and losing everything , i.e job , home , family , relationship etc and lastly mental illness.
Not to mention despair at the fucked up world we are ordered to comply with .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bigpink, Iamamistake, Good4Nothing and 25 others
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Why does being "mentally unstable" (a meaningless term meant to discount people's experiences) mean you don't have ownership over your life and body anymore?

If you think people don't talk about other reasons here's you haven't looked hard enough.

• Love
Reactions: DonTellMeToStayAlive, kolski, Bigpink and 21 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
What kind of discussion were you hoping for when you posted this?

Reactions: kolski, Bigpink, NeverSatisfied and 16 others
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
strictly my opinion, not meant to discount anybody's opinions, feelings or beliefs.

Here I go: Going through most posts here, I get the feeling that most are confirming the mainstream pro life argument that only mentally unstable people commit suicide.

Clearly you haven't been through enough posts to make any kind of discernment of value.

"Mentally unstable"... is easily interpreted and far too often as "incompetent" to a great disservice.

Congratulations.

You exposed yourself.

Reactions: Ghost2211, darksideofthebright, _Kaira_ and 5 others
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
Hmmm

Reactions: Ghost2211, _Kaira_, marcusuk63 and 1 other person
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Maybe I've not looked enough. Maybe I joined at the wrong time when discussions are only centred on mental illness and depression. But as i said this is unpopular opinion

antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
Here I go: Going through most posts here, I get the feeling that most are confirming the mainstream pro life argument that only mentally unstable people commit suicide. Most posts here seem to suggest that most people here are suicidal because they have mental illness. I thought people off themselves for other reasons, eg failed business, relationships, poverty, or for philosophical reasons. Funny thing, I'm yet to see people here talk about such. Its all about visits/ relationship with therapists, etc. It's like a confirmation to stereotype pro life theory.
From what I can tell, you haven't been on this site for a long time...

Reactions: Ghost2211, _Kaira_, Lostandlooking and 3 others
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Clearly you haven't been through enough posts to make any kind of discernment of value.

"Mentally unstable"... is easily interpreted and far too often as "incompetent" to a great disservice.

Congratulations.

You exposed yourself.

Only that I find the posts here - the ones ive checked- seem a confirmation of pro life theories of suicide.

• Hmph!
Reactions: _Kaira_
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Maybe I've not looked enough. Maybe I joined at the wrong time when discussions are only centred on mental illness and depression. But as i said this is unpopular opinion
It's not that you have an "unpopular opinion", it's that your post seems dismissive and the choice of words is insensitive.

Again, what was your goal for posting this? What kind of discussion are you looking for?

Reactions: Wrennie, muffin222, dropdeadfred and 11 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I don't consider myself mentally ill at all but I think mental distress is a symptom most experience here and that can get confused for what others like to label a mental illness/disorder. They confuse the symptoms with the cause. I kind of see what you're saying in a way though..many here do claim mental illness and seem to almost wave the labels like a proud flag over their head, which only adds fuel to the fire of pro-lifers. Because to them, only the mentally ill (which in their minds, means insane/illogical/incapable/delusional) commit suicide or are actively suicidal.

The problem is multiple things, psychology and psychiatry having way too much authority in society, people not challenging their own diagnosis and understanding where said diagnosis's come from (a basically BS manual which has things voted in and out at political whim) and the general public having no concept of anything other than the "chemical imbalance" theory and the rhetoric of people killing themselves from a battle with a mental disorder (usually stated as depression) which renders them "not in their right mind" when making the decision to end their life. All a load of BS fed into by power and control hungry "professionals" and the majority population who lack any nuance or critical thought processes. (The people who do have likely been labeled mentally disordered and their rights and opinions are now obsolete in the eyes of many.)

No consideration is being taken regarding the life circumstances or the world at large which is usually the actual cause of people displaying mental distress or symptoms which have been grouped under various mental illnesses (there's one for everything now, everyone can be diagnosed these days, it's a joke..there are no biological testing methods being performed during these "visits".)

A lot of people are now starting to see a diagnosis as the only way for the world to notice or be gentle with them, because simply talking about their problems doesn't get anywhere and it's not any form of hot button terminology which will gain them instant awareness like a label of mental illness will.
Believe it or not some people take comfort in being told there is something inherently wrong with the way their mind works..it takes the burden of blame off them, until they snap out of it and realize it is actually doing the opposite. It is placing the blame directly with the individual, not with society, not with what happened to them, not with any of their past or present trauma. It's all just telling them that, one way or another, they are the problem.
And so we get a lot of people who should not be burdened with any form of capricious labeling, who nonetheless are. And so they talk and converse about it and it gets intermixed with what you call "other reasons" until those other reasons are unrecognizable within the confines of such and such "disorder."

• Love
Reactions: one.way.out, TooMuchToBear, lostmyhope and 9 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
  • Love
Reactions: 262653, Wrennie, muffin222 and 13 others
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
I don't consider myself mentally ill at all but I think mental distress is a symptom most experience here and that can get confused for what others like to label a mental illness/disorder. They confuse the symptoms with the cause. I kind of see what you're saying in a way though..many here do claim mental illness and seem to almost wave the labels like a proud flag over their head, which only adds fuel to the fire of pro-lifers. Because to them, only the mentally ill (which in their minds, means insane/illogical/incapable/delusional) commit suicide or are actively suicidal.

The problem is multiple things, psychology and psychiatry having way too much authority in society, people not challenging their own diagnosis and understanding where said diagnosis's come from (a basically BS manual which has things voted in and out at political whim) and the general public having no concept of anything other than the "chemical imbalance" theory and the rhetoric of people killing themselves from a battle with a mental disorder (usually stated as depression) which renders them "not in their right mind" when making the decision to end their life. All a load of BS fed into by power and control hungry "professionals" and the majority population who lack any nuance or critical thought processes. (The people who do have likely been labeled mentally disordered and their rights and opinions are now obsolete in the eyes of many.)

No consideration is being taken regarding the life circumstances or the world at large which is usually the actual cause of people displaying mental distress or symptoms which have been grouped under various mental illnesses (there's one for everything now, everyone can be diagnosed these days, it's a joke..there are no biological testing methods being performed during these "visits".)

A lot of people are now starting to see a diagnosis as the only way for the world to notice or be gentle with them, because simply talking about their problems doesn't get anywhere and it's not any form of hot button terminology which will gain them instant awareness like a label of mental illness will.
Believe it or not some people take comfort in being told there is something inherently wrong with the way their mind works..it takes the burden of blame off them, until they snap out of it and realize it is actually doing the opposite. It is placing the blame directly with the individual, not with society, not with what happened to them, not with any of their past or present trauma. It's all just telling them that, one way or another, they are the problem.
And so we get a lot of people who should not be burdened with any form of capricious labeling, who nonetheless are. And so they talk and converse about it and it gets intermixed with what you call "other reasons" until those other reasons are unrecognizable within the confines of such and such "disorder."

Nicely put. Trying to process what you mean. The way I understood you is we cant possibly be normal to off ourselves. Like, it ultimately boils to being mentally disturbed.
due to other factors.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I'm yet to see people here talk about such. Its all about visits/ relationship with therapists, etc. It's like a confirmation to stereotype pro life theory.
Most who ctb actually do have problems of the mental illness variety although lots of us have health reasons that are debilitating also. Maybe we don't talk about them as much. This site offers one rare place where those with mental health issues can discuss them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: _Kaira_, WornOutLife and flyaway2
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
Yet serial killers are often evaluated and deemed sane , with no mental health issues .

Reactions: darksideofthebright, Soul, _Kaira_ and 4 others
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Yet serial killers are often evaluated and deemed sane , with no mental health issues .
Aside from the rare ones like Ted Kazinski the uni bomber, who was batshit insane. But most as you say are able to present as completely normal and healthy, which they need to be to approach their victims and not get caught. Many have normal lives and families. The BTK killer, Dennis Rader, was a normal family man and upstanding citizen.

Serial killers don't participate in discussing their own mental problems usually. They are quite content with their aberrations.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyaway2 and marcusuk63
ZardozOmega

ZardozOmega

Narcissist Gay NEET-cel
Mar 4, 2020
Well, yeah, mentally ill people kill themselves at a higher rate than neurotypical people. Did you not know this?

Reactions: marcusuk63 and BitterlyAlive
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Most who ctb actually do have problems of the mental illness variety although lots of us have health reasons that are debilitating also. Maybe we don't talk about them as much. This site offers one rare place where those with mental health issues can discuss them.
I consider mysel normal. However, since some incident, I locked myself in hotel room been drinking smoking for 3 days. Thinking staying here till I clear my bank a/c. Is there anything wrong with that or its a rational decision.

F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Well, yeah, mentally ill people kill themselves at a higher rate than neurotypical people. Did you not know this?
My cousin killed himself last year but he was real mad. Couldn't use phones, comps, or talk sense. Total mental breakdown. The real deal. Such guys cant even talk about ctb or anything.

Reactions: Meditation guide
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
I consider him to be one of the most sane people alive today.
Why? Surely you don't think sending bombs to innocent people selected because they were somehow involved in modern technology, often in less than top management positions, doesn't make a lot of sense.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Nicely put. Trying to process what you mean. The way I understood you is we cant possibly be normal to off ourselves. Like, it ultimately boils to being mentally disturbed.
due to other factors.
Sorry, I may have not worded it as clearly as I would have liked. But actually not quite what you said.
I think we can be normal minded people who off ourselves..normal people in an abnormal or less than ideal situation. And that situation or experience or reason or what have you, THAT is what usually breeds the mental distress of what may otherwise be the healthiest of minds. And if that reason is permanent then these distress symptoms will never go away, the person with these "symptoms" may very well be labeled mentally ill, giving people the WRONG impression that there is something inherently amiss with their brains, when what's actually amiss is the predicament or body or loss, etc that they are stuck in.
Their only two options at that point are to continue to suffer or to end the suffering.
This is not an illogical decision, it makes perfect sense. And it is not the work of a faulty brain.

Im not saying it can't be, or that some people don't make impulsive decisions, just that on the topic of what you are seeing on this site...mental illness labels, even self proclaimed ones should be taken as just the tip of the iceberg that doesn't really mean anything until you look at the rest of it underneath. Why that label appeared atop their head in the first place is like I said...problematic, and linked to multiple issues with the mental health professionals/services, the public, and the view point of the suffering.
I would just completely ignore the label and just look at the details of why the person is suffering..there you will find the core factors that may very well line up with what you described as "other reasons".

If you see people running around just shouting the name of a mental disorder as their reason for catching the bus, take into consideration that they may have been put under the false impression that their brain is disordered by people who are part of a system which has no surefire tests for diagnosing the majority of the people who walk into their doors. (Sorry to say also that this site isn't devoid of attention seekers, so keep that in mind as well.)
They may be just as misguided as the public is about how psychology and psychiatry work. They are under the same undeserved authority and take the label to be an umbrella term for all their problems, stating it in their posts is an easy way to get the message across that they are suffering to other people, like yourself. It's a poor method of delivery obviously, as you, like many, come away with an incorrect conclusion.

It's difficult to explain in simple terms also because so many people have varying definitions and takes on the subject matter, it's messy and overly complicated when it never needed to be.

• Love
Reactions: TooMuchToBear and _Kaira_
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
I consider mysel normal. However, since some incident, I locked myself in hotel room been drinking smoking for 3 days. Thinking staying here till I clear my bank a/c. Is there anything wrong with that or its a rational decision.
It could be situational depression. Drinking and smoking in a hotel room for 3 days shows you are self medicating to sooth some sort of psychic pain. I don't define it as mental illness as much as stress, or maybe bringing to the surface some usually minor or episodic depression.

Reactions: _Kaira_, CoalmineCanary and Isadeth
VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
Why? Surely you don't think sending bombs to innocent people selected because they were somehow involved in modern technology, often in less than top management positions, doesn't make a lot of sense.
It makes sense when you read his manifesto. He killed these people to get his message out not because he thought it would bring down the system. In my opinion he viewed the world very clearly and was not mentally ill and therefore can be held 100% responsible for his actions.

Honestly It's impossible to argue with most points he makes in his manifesto, he thought far ahead of most people.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
It makes sense when you read his manifesto. He killed these people to get his message out not because he thought it would bring down the system. In my opinion he viewed the world very clearly and was not mentally ill and therefore can be held 100% responsible for his actions.

Honestly It's impossible to argue with most points he makes in his manifesto, he thought far ahead of most people.
So you think killing innocent people due to having a poor opinion of technology makes sense. Anyway thank you for a unique point of view.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
So the incident would be the cause for this, you haven't said what the incident was but it doesn't really matter because everyone reacts to things differently anyhow.
As long as it had an undesirable effect on you then it is understandable to in turn, react in an undesirable way, for lack of a better word.

Now is this something resolvable? Can it be put in the past, moved on from? That is the question.
You are the one who has to decide if it's worth it-or soothingly necessary-to stay in the hotel and deplete your resources. If you can find another way to cope that is agreeable to you, that might be a better option. If not, then that's that. Give things time and thought, if you think something is wacky with the way your mind is working and you don't like it, then that's a different story. If you feel like nothing is wrong with your mind but something is very wrong with the incident that put you in this state, then I would not say that's reason to worry that you are abnormal.

But unless you are alluding to something..staying in your hotel room for days and just eating up your bank account, that's different than the decision to commit suicide, so I'm not really sure what we're talking about here. Any decision being rational or just the decision to commit suicide?

Reactions: Meditation guide