gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
Does anyone feel like if they could practice spirituality more or make the effort to "enlighten" themselves they could cope with this life a little more?

Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Might be better suited for the recovery section.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Spirituality involves the recognition of a feeling or sense or belief that there is something greater than myself, something more to being human than sensory experience, and that the greater whole of which we are part is cosmic or divine in nature. in another words more delusional bullshit

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, floralheaddress and Praestat_Mori
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
Spirituality involves the recognition of a feeling or sense or belief that there is something greater than myself, something more to being human than sensory experience, and that the greater whole of which we are part is cosmic or divine in nature. in another words more delusional bullshit
I understand where you come from to say this, been there myself. I'm not a spiritual person but I just feel (or want to feel) that there is some higher meaning to this life. At least that I'm not going to live and die in vain.

I saw a post from someone here that says something about wanting to die to go "home" like their soul doesn't belong to this planet and just coming from very far away somewhere in the universe and I feel this sometimes.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Darkover and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I saw a post from someone here that says something about wanting to die to go "home" like their soul doesn't belong to this planet and just coming from very far away somewhere in the universe and I feel this sometimes.
This is an interesting thought. Well, we don't know why dead matter (atoms) in certain combinations of molecules have consciousness (or minimum they can make decisions up to a certain level (animals)). What if consciousness is a necessity in the universe and we have it bc of a yet undiscovered "field" or dimension of the universe? We might never even discover it. Still more than 80% of what the universe is as a whole is still unknown.

Reactions: deadbody, WAITING TO DIE, tiger b and 3 others
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
This is an interesting thought. Well, we don't know why dead matter (atoms) in certain combinations of molecules have consciousness (or minimum they can make decisions up to a certain level (animals)). What if consciousness is a necessity in the universe and we have it bc of a yet undiscovered "field" or dimension of the universe? We might never even discover it. Still more than 80% of what the universe is as a whole is still unknown.
Yes that's exactly what i mean

WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
No, it actually made me worse.
I became a Buddhist for a couple of years and practiced anapanasati meditation.
I ended up having some weird kundalini experience.
I ended up with depersonalisation disorder.
I don't believe in God, and no longer bother with anything spiritual anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: cosifantutti, Praestat_Mori and gonegirl1
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
Im not very informed on that but am aware that practicing spirituality without proper guidance can have bad results.
Do you feel like if your experience didn't go bad you would have another view towards this?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and WAITING TO DIE
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
I don't know...it depends on the person and what way you go with your 'Spirituality', I think...

There was a quote I barely remember:

Before enlightenment,
Light fire
Chop wood
After enlightenment,
Light fire
Chop wood.

In other words, the practicalities of life don't change.

Simple meditation is probably a reasonable place to start, so you can see what's best for you. Not the 'post your brain to another dimension' level of meditation! Hahaha you never quite get it back in the same shape that you sent it.

...Or just losing yourself in music you like - who's to say that's not spiritual!

Reactions: deadbody, Praestat_Mori, gonegirl1 and 1 other person
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Im not very informed on that but am aware that practicing spirituality without proper guidance can have bad results.
Do you feel like if your experience didn't go bad you would have another view towards this?
Yes, meditation helped me a lot, but I got to a level where I needed an enlightened teacher. Yet there are very few genuine ones in the world today, mainly in Tibet and India.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, gonegirl1 and tiger b
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
Yes, meditation helped me a lot, but I got to a level where I needed an enlightened teacher. Yet there are very few genuine ones in the world today, mainly in Tibet and India.
Forgive my ignorance of it - I came to meditation through a long study of hypnosis - but did you feel you had to advance a level or was it not possible to stay at a moderate level that didn't give you that negative experience you previously mentioned?

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Forgive my ignorance of it - I came to meditation through a long study of hypnosis - but did you feel you had to advance a level or was it not possible to stay at a moderate level that didn't give you that negative experience you previously mentioned?
It was a sudden and very powerful surge of energy called kundalini that began coursing through my body. It is indescribably powerful.
Way beyond anything you can imagine.
Once this kind of thing happens you need someone who really knows how to help you guide the energy through your bodies energy centres.
It is extremely inadvisable to attempt to do it on your own, and that's why I had to stop, because people have become psychotic, and ended up in psych wards because they have seen into other dimensions in a very negative way.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
It was a sudden and very powerful surge of energy called kundalini that began coursing through my body. It is indescribably powerful.
Once this kind of thing happens you need someone who really knows how to help you guide the energy through your bodies energy centres.
It is extremely inadvisable to attempt to do it on your own, and that's why I had to stop, because people have become psychotic, and ended up in psych wards because they have seen into other dimensions in a very negative way.
Wow that's so scary. It reminds me of cases of ppl that had bad experiences with lsd and were never able to be the same again

Reactions: tiger b, Praestat_Mori and WAITING TO DIE
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
Wow that's so scary. It reminds me of cases of ppl that had bad experiences with lsd and were never able to be the same again
It's a similar experience. Both intense meditation and psychedelic drugs open the mind to certain phenomena, such as transcending space and time and experiencing ego death.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiger b, Praestat_Mori and gonegirl1
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
...ouch.
It's a similar experience. Both intense meditation and psychedelic drugs open the mind to certain phenomena, such as transcending space and time and experiencing ego death.
But the ego will do anything to survive, even creating a psychotic episode (or maybe even a whole world hehe)!so is true ego death possible in your opinion?

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
...ouch.

But the ego will do anything to survive, even creating a psychotic episode (or maybe even a whole world hehe)!so is true ego death possible in your opinion?
No, I don't think so. It's as you say, we need the ego, or else we will just be a blank page. I think people can confuse an ego death episode with depersonalisation and derealisation disorder episodes.

Reactions: gonegirl1 and tiger b
deadbody

deadbody

he/him 🏳️‍⚧️
Oct 24, 2023
I periodically pray the Rosary, it helps me take my mind off things and feel better for a moment. However, I do not expect any reward for this after death, I perceive it as a form of meditation that is convenient for me.

Reactions: divinemistress36, WAITING TO DIE, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it could be nice to believe some entity would give you strength when you needed it most but- what if they don't? I don't know. I actually find it more distressing to imagine there could be an entity overseeing and controlling all of this- because I don't see how they could be good.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Praestat_Mori, deadbody and 1 other person
cosifantutti

cosifantutti

Student
Aug 27, 2023
I think meditation can definitely make you worse. I remember a friend getting involved in some Buddhist type of meditation and he felt like he was going out of his mind.

I have worked towards a spiritual relationship with God as a Catholic. In recent months I have started to recognise that this doesn't help me at all and I'm probably better without God.

Reactions: gonegirl1, WAITING TO DIE, deadbody and 1 other person
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I think it could be nice to believe some entity would give you strength when you needed it most but- what if they don't? I don't know. I actually find it more distressing to imagine there could be an entity overseeing and controlling all of this- because I don't see how they could be good.
Exactly. This world is filled with far too much suffering and prayers are never answered.
What about things such as children being abused by paedophiles ?
How could a so - called all loving, all seeing benevolent god fail to intervene when horrors like this are happening ?

Reactions: gonegirl1, Forever Sleep and Praestat_Mori
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
If there is a spirituality, it's about learning to relate your thoughts and not get caught in them and dealing with life's challenges. You evolve as you do this, through different lifetimes. It's obviously all speculation, but as I've studied all religions and spiritual traditions, it's only one that makes sense, given the nature of reality

• Love
Reactions: divinemistress36, WAITING TO DIE, gonegirl1 and 1 other person
C

Christo

Oct 10, 2023
Spirituality has helped me to cope with the suffering but it also has made me realize what life really is and how this whole life cycle works, and my conclusion was that for me it's not worth living life in the long term.
Without learning about spirituality and practicing it I don't think I would've gotten so far in life to make this decision.

• Hugs
Reactions: gonegirl1, Hotsackage and tiger b
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
I feel you
Exactly. This world is filled with far too much suffering and prayers are never answered.
What about things such as children being abused by paedophiles ?
How could a so - called all loving, all seeing benevolent god fail to intervene when horrors like this are happening ?
Christians would justify that as "karma" or some punishment they are receiving for having sinned

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep and WAITING TO DIE