T

T1m3sup

Aug 8, 2018
If i tell a theraypist that I was suicdal, had a plan and the tools to carry it out a few weeks ago but never followed through would that risk being sectioned off, even if I say that I discarded the tools I need and no longer feel as bad as I did then? I still feel horrible but not as bad as I did before.

Reactions: Empty Smile and shadow11
T

Tiburcio

I wouldn't say them I am suicidal except you wouldn't try it or I had previous attempts. If not, he would react on a wrong way. Tell him you are suicidal only if you really want recovery, but it still would be very hard finding a helpful one.

Reactions: lv-gras
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
Honestly, I wouldn't even tell him. Why take the chance of being sectioned off. What they don't know, won't hurt them.

Reactions: BaconCheeseburger, shadow11, lv-gras and 1 other person
T

T1m3sup

Aug 8, 2018
I'm trying to get better, I'm 23 and most of my pain if from a recent event rather than sever long term depression. I feel I have made big mistakes but there might be another way out.. or everything could go worst case sanario and I buy a new rope

Reactions: Dead_Inside, Charlie and lv-gras
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
I'm trying to get better, I'm 23 and most of my pain if from a recent event rather than sever long term depression. I feel I have made big mistakes but there might be another way out.. or everything could go worst case sanario and I buy a new rope

If you're trying to get better, I would just mention depression. No need to bring up your suicidal thoughts history.

Reactions: agreement, Tiburcio and lv-gras
S

shadow11

Wizard
Jul 31, 2018
Honestly, I wouldn't even tell him. Why take the chance of being sectioned off. What they don't know, won't hurt them.
Exactly if you tell them here it's off to the psych hospital

Reactions: Empty Smile and Tiburcio
T

T1m3sup

Aug 8, 2018
Exactly if you tell them here it's off to the psych hospital
Fuck sake, guess they gotta protect there jobs and all but what's the point in therapist if you can't be honest. I feel like they really don't understand suicidal people

Last edited:
Reactions: betteroffdead, Dead_Inside, Tiburcio and 1 other person
S

sleepless

Aug 1, 2018
If i tell a theraypist that I was suicdal, had a plan and the tools to carry it out a few weeks ago but never followed through would that risk being sectioned off, even if I say that I discarded the tools I need and no longer feel as bad as I did then? I still feel horrible but not as bad as I did before.

You really should avoid telling them you are suicidal, if you don't want to be under suicide watch. To them, it's their ass and job on the line if anything happens to you. Even if you say you no longer have plans going through it, to them your "state of mind" still won't make your words credible enough. They have simply no reason to choose your words over their jobs. That is why I find it very difficult to be honest and vulnerable to those people.

Reactions: Nessa, Anarchy and T1m3sup
Laggy

Laggy

Jul 20, 2018
My therapist knows I'm suicidal, that I have a plan, and that I have the materials to carry it out, and I haven't been sent to the hospital, so I think you're safe.

Reactions: betteroffdead, Nessa and leader-akiko
N

nuclearsnake

Student
Jul 11, 2018
Personally, I'm very paranoid when it comes to this. Most of my therapists knew or know I'm suicidal and have been for many years but they do not know to what extent (constantly thinking about it on a daily basis, already having everything I need to go through with it). I'm wary of telling them everything because I was already sent to hospitals because people thought I was at a high risk (which, I guess, is true and has been for quite a while but it's not like locking me away would ever help with that).

So I'm careful when it comes to telling them. In my experience many are quick to put you away once they find out that you have a plan, the means to do it and constant suicidal ideation.

Reactions: betteroffdead
Laggy

Laggy

Jul 20, 2018
My experience is that they won't recommend hospitalization unless you are planning to commit suicide that day.

S

Ssname

Experienced
Jun 30, 2018
I have told a therapist that I had a method and talked him through how it works etc. He just said it sounds like I have put a lot of thought into it. He knew I wasn't about to do anything in a hury so that was that. I do live in a country where people don't have to worry about getting sued etc so that helps.

NoPillPhilosophy

NoPillPhilosophy

Aug 10, 2018
A theraphist should be like a caring friend who gives logical, informed, smart advice right?

So why THE FUCK!!!! Would you!! Go to a government trained individual who is only there for a paycheck listening to tens of patiens traumas to solve your problems?

What do you think they will say?

"I've been really depressed and suicidal lately because I hate the way I look and I have no money and I don't want to be a wage slave forever..."
"Oh come on johnny....Why don't we put you on some pills so you feel better. Also you know everyone has to contribute to society to make it better right?"

Or

"There is no purpose in life. The violent ones make the rules and the weak obey. There are no rights, no safety, no freedom. I can't take it anymore. I want to die."
"Oh Johnny...well...take some pills to feel drunk and not feel the pain as the system keeps raping you. Also we will be sending you to a special resort for a few days to make sure you won't do anything unnecessary....wouldn't want you to stop paying taxes and bills now would we?"

Seriously. It is purely stupid.

The homeless crackhead on the street corner will care more about you than a theraphist ever will....If you have no friends, find some.

S

Ssname

Experienced
Jun 30, 2018
That has not been my experience with therapy. Ultimately I stopped going but I did find it a positive experience while I did.
Sorry your experiences have obviously been less constructive with therapy.
Also it is my understanding that there is a difference between therapy and psychiatry in that therapists can't prescribe medication but psychiatrists can.

Maggoo

Maggoo

Master Muppet
Aug 13, 2018
Some therapists do genuinly get into the field to try and help people. Some people find talking things through helps. Here in the UK you virtually have to be half dead already or saying you're literally leaving to kill yourself to get sectioned as there are so little beds available.

I avoid admitting or mentioning any self harm or thoughts of suicide or planning etc just as a way to protect myself from judgement and being labelled 'mentally ill'

My though process is logical, no amount of meds or therapy will fix it so admitting to it would just cause more problems.

If you have hope that you can be helped and want to give it a chance, you can admit to thoughts pretty safely without being sectioned, it's ifyypu score highly on their risk assessment by saying you have a plan, the means to carry out said plan and a timeframe that's imminent, they will try section you just to cover their own backs.

Reactions: Ssname