motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
He claimed that 1 in 88 people commit suicide and only produced the source upon request.
It's definitely their fault he misunderstood them, they obviously suck at communicating information to the broader public in a clear way

S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
He claimed that 1 in 88 people commit suicide and only produced the source upon request.
Ultimately the point I was trying to make was the odds that the people here would commit suicide might be better than they think, so everything after that this thread is largely irrelevant to that point. 1 in 88 people killing themselves as odds for the future versus me saying 1 in 88 people kill themselves is different, but the distinction doesn't make a difference for the point I was making. I don't see why it matters that I "only produced the source upon request" because in the end I did, and I meant to originally and thought I did but must've left it out by accident. It's not as if I was trying to hide it. The only real thing that's in question here is the legitimacy of the source which we can only guess at.
It's definitely their fault he misunderstood them, they obviously suck at communicating information to the broader public in a clear way
You didn't misinterpret anything I meant what I originally said, and when I looked back at the source I realized it was saying something different than I thought it was. I wouldn't be talking so much about communication skills since the first time I got into an argument with you you were dumb enough to say, "No u." and when I said I thought I was less of an asshole than you you were dumb enough to say, "So you think you're morally superior to me?" Yes, I obviously do you I'd just said that. All of that with your overuse of emojis makes me suspect you have autism, or at least barely any friends IRL.

Last edited:
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
You didn't misinterpret anything I meant what I originally said, and when I looked back at the source I realized it was saying something different than I thought it was. I wouldn't be talking so much about communication skills since the first time I got into an argument with you you were dumb enough to say, "No u." and when I said I thought I was less of an asshole than you you were dumb enough to say, "So you think you're morally superior to me?" Yes, I obviously do you I'd just said that. All of that with your overuse of emojis makes me suspect you have autism, or at least barely any friends IRL.
Very coherent :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
Btw, by attempting to insult me, you just insulted all the SaSu members who do have autism & barely any friends. Your moral superiority is evident

Last edited:
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
1 in 88 people killing themselves as odds for the future versus me saying 1 in 88 people kill themselves is different, but the distinction doesn't make a difference for the point I was making.
So the facts you use to support your point don't matter? You were fine with the preposterous idea that over 3 million US citizens will die by suicide each year :))

Last edited:
Reactions: CC123
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Ultimately the point I was trying to make was the odds that the people here would commit suicide might be better than they think, so everything after that this thread is largely irrelevant to that point. 1 in 88 people killing themselves as odds for the future versus me saying 1 in 88 people kill themselves is different, but the distinction doesn't make a difference for the point I was making. I don't see why it matters that I "only produced the source upon request" because in the end I did, and I meant to originally and thought I did but must've left it out by accident. It's not as if I was trying to hide it. The only real thing that's in question here is the legitimacy of the source which we can only guess at.
I apologise if my comment might have appeared a bit passive aggressive.
I do, however, believe that the odds are stacked against us.
According to this website, there were 47511 successful suicides, but 1,38*10^6 attempts in 2019: https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/
This website has similar numbers: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/statistics/suicide
According to Wikipedia, 92-95% of attempts end in survival: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_attempt
You are of course correct in stating that it is very difficult to confirm the veracity of these numbers.

Reactions: sm20
S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
So the facts you use to support your point don't matter? You were fine with the preposterous idea that over 3 million US citizens will die by suicide each year :))
If you don't have the social skills to understand why you look like a retard and neither the memory to recall an argument we had 2 weeks ago I can't help you. And once again dumb fuck, it's an odds estimate for the future, not now, and even then I agreed that those numbers still sound high. You can't make a decent point so you have to use emojis to pretend that you're not getting bothered by anything I'm saying. You purposely misrepresent my arguments over and over again because you can't argue against anything I'm saying. If posting :)) is the best you can do to convince me you don't have some sort of social or learning disability then I'm done talking.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
If you don't have the social skills to understand why you look like a retard and neither the memory to recall an argument we had 2 weeks ago I can't help you. And once again dumb fuck, it's an odds estimate for the future, not now, and even then I agreed that those numbers still sound high. You can't make a decent point so you have to use emojis to pretend that you're not getting bothered by anything I'm saying. You purposely misrepresent my arguments over and over again because you can't argue against anything I'm saying. If posting :)) is the best you can do to convince me you don't have some sort of social or learning disability then I'm done talking.
This is truly pathetic & insulting to so many people...

• Hugs
Reactions: CC123
Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
If you're worried you'll never get the nerve to commit suicide, 1 in 88 people commit suicide. These statistics are probably lower in other countries with less access to firearms, but if you're here you at least have done some reading about how to attempt the right way so the odds of you dying would be higher than the general population. I know my life has been bad enough compared to other peoples to be that 1 person out of 88 if I want to.

Interesting claim. It's far enough out from what I believed was true that I got curious and looked into it. According to the bottom of this page on the site you linked, their data is sourced from:

Source: National Safety Council estimates based on data from National Center for Health Statistics—Mortality Data for 2019, as compiled from data provided by the 57 vital statistics jurisdictions through the Vital Statistics Cooperative Program. Population and life expectancy data are from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Because I'm a data nerd and have unlimited amounts of time on my hands, I looked through the NCHS data published on the CDC's website: reports (2019 and 2018), overall annual death stats for 2018, mortality stats tables, and some data visualization tools for the 1995-2017 cause of death final data and 2017-2020 provisional data.

TLDR: the actual odds of a living person having successfully died by suicide in the US during a given year is closer to 1 in 8800 than 1 in 88. The stats as linked by OP seem to refer to the chances of an already dead person having died from a specific cause.