S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
If you're worried you'll never get the nerve to commit suicide, 1 in 88 people commit suicide. These statistics are probably lower in other countries with less access to firearms, but if you're here you at least have done some reading about how to attempt the right way so the odds of you dying would be higher than the general population. I know my life has been bad enough compared to other peoples to be that 1 person out of 88 if I want to.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: come to dust, mediocre, StupidLizard and 6 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
1 in 88 is certainly interesting.
I might be one of those too but I have no idea which the real numbers here in Argentina are.

D

deathisnear

Experienced
May 23, 2021
I will be 1 of the 88 and proudly so. I am not going back to debating anymore, my mind is set, it may not happen right away, but it will. That is encouraging indeed.

• Hugs
Reactions: Arvinneedstodie, Wrennie and Swampy
C

CC123

Arcanist
Mar 2, 2019
If there are around 325,000,000 in the US, dividing that by 88 gives us 3,693,181.
If you are asserting that there are that many suicides annually in the US, I am skeptical of the number.

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, Arvinneedstodie, poisonedminds and 3 others
S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
If there are around 325,000,000 in the US, dividing that by 88 gives us 3,693,181.
If you are asserting that there are that many suicides annually in the US, I am skeptical of the number.
Stats are here. https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/preventable-death-overview/odds-of-dying/ I've seen the same stat on another website too. Suicide rates have been going up for a while now and this stat is from 2019.
I can't find the other site but here are the stats from 2013 which was 1 in 106. https://lifehacker.com/here-are-your-odds-of-dying-from-the-most-popular-cause-912993910

Last edited:
C

CC123

Arcanist
Mar 2, 2019
That article DOES NOT say that 1 in 88 people die by suicide.
It is an odds calculation.
This chart also asserts 1 in 107 for motor-vehicle crash.
You asserted that "1 in 88 people commit suicide"
If 1 in 107 people die in motor-vehicle crashes, that would be 3,037,383 deaths.
You have misinterpreted the information in that chart.

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, poisonedminds and motel rooms
S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
That article DOES NOT say that 1 in 88 people die by suicide.
It is an odds calculation.
This chart also asserts 1 in 107 for motor-vehicle crash.
You asserted that "1 in 88 people commit suicide"
If 1 in 107 people die in motor-vehicle crashes, that would be 3,037,383 deaths.
You have misinterpreted the information in that chart.
I don't think you needed to do all caps over that but okay.

Reactions: ts0hill
Rayzieka

Rayzieka

Not Really Here
Apr 28, 2021
From what i'm looking up it seems like the deaths by ctb in the us are around 50k a year?
Good enough odds for me though OP

Reactions: motel rooms
S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
From what i'm looking up it seems like the deaths by ctb in the us are around 50k a year?
Good enough odds for me though OP
Something about an odds calculation? I don't know exactly what that is or if it's predicting what the actual statistic will be in the future once we're all dead.
Something about an odds calculation? I don't know exactly what that is or if it's predicting what the actual statistic will be in the future once we're all dead.
Edit: And if that's what an odds calculation is which it seems to be based off going back and reading the article more the all caps makes even less sense than it did before.

Last edited:
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes, I think it shows how cruel this life can be, that people are pushed into doing this. Taking our own lives is hard but we can overcome the SI if we are desperate. I hope to be part of it, I hate the idea of old age. There is no firearms in the UK, but it will probably be a similar statistic here.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
What are you talking about? 1 in 88 people?
The suicide rate in the US in 2019 was 13.93 per 100,000 individuals. The rate of suicide is highest in middle-aged white men. In 2019, men died by suicide 3.63x more often than women.

Reactions: mediocre, Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, poisonedminds and 4 others
S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
What are you talking about? 1 in 88 people?
The suicide rate in the US in 2019 was 13.93 per 100,000 individuals. The rate of suicide is highest in middle-aged white men. In 2019, men died by suicide 3.63x more often than women.
Not currently but since it's an odds calculation for what the statistics will be in the future when we're all dead, taking into account that the suicide rates are likely to keep increasing over time. I don't know how they take age into consideration since the odds have been changing somewhat significantly over the past decade but in general, that's what it says.
It does still sound high, but I have no experience in statistics and I wouldn't trust my judgement over a statistician. Especially when they have odds of dying of cancer basically at what it is now, it gives me more reason to trust the other odds.

Last edited:
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Not currently but since it's an odds calculation for what the statistics will be in the future when we're all dead, taking into account that the suicide rates are likely to keep increasing over time. I don't know how they take age into consideration since the odds have been changing somewhat significantly over the past decade but in general, that's what it says.
In 2019, a total of 47,511 deaths in the US were attributed to suicide. From 2018 to 2019, the overall suicide rate declined by 2.1% (14.2 per 100,000 population to 13.9)
1 in 88 is 1,14 % of the population - that's insane...

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and CC123
S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
In 2019, a total of 47,511 deaths in the US were attributed to suicide. From 2018 to 2019, the overall suicide rate declined by 2.1% (14.2 per 100,000 population to 13.9)
1 in 88 is 1,14 % of the population - that's insane...
Yeah maybe, it's not my math and it seems like an actual organization that did it but you could be right.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Yeah maybe, it's not my math and it seems like an actual organization that did it but you could be right.
How could the number of suicides per year go from less than 50,000 to over 3 million? Those people are on acid :))

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and poisonedminds
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
If you're worried you'll never get the nerve to commit suicide, 1 in 88 people commit suicide. These statistics are probably lower in other countries with less access to firearms, but if you're here you at least have done some reading about how to attempt the right way so the odds of you dying would be higher than the general population. I know my life has been bad enough compared to other peoples to be that 1 person out of 88 if I want to.
They are not lower dude! We just use other methods?

Reactions: poisonedminds
S

sm20

Student
May 5, 2021
How could the number of suicides per year go from less than 50,000 to over 3 million? Those people are on acid :))
Only way I could see it is climate change fucking things up and more pandemics coming from how our agriculture industry is handled, leading to more isolation and suicides like with covid. I know they wouldn't be taking those things into account so I have no idea.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
@Schöngeist Au soucceur! :))

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Au soucceur! :))
What is that supposed to mean? I think you meant to write "Au secours"...

As for the post:
You are confusing probability and odds.
If the probability of dying of suicide would be 1/88, then indeed every 88th citizen would kill himself.

Example: We toss a fair coin. The odds of obtaining heads are 1:1; this does not mean that every throw will result in heads.
We know that the probability for heads is 1/2, which translates to every second throw will result in heads.

That being said, these numbers still look strange. If I compute the probability on the basis of the given odds, I obtain 1/89, which is still freakishly high.
I am not a statistician, so I might be overlooking something.

P.S.: I just looked at the second link; something is not right here.
The odds are calculated like this:

O=P/(1-P),

where P=probability and O=odds.
The link says that the odds for dying from any cause are 1:1. This means that the probability of dying from any cause is 1/2, which is wrong; the probability of dying from any cause is 1. They even write in the text that the odds 1:1 mean 100%, which they don't.
These people are either incompetent, or they use the word "odds" in a very different sense than usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: hahabye, Ame and CC123
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
Eng

As for the post:
You are confusing probability and odds.
If the probability of dying of suicide would be 1/88, then indeed every 88th citizen would kill himself.

Example: We toss a fair coin. The odds of obtaining heads are 1:1; this does not mean that every throw will result in heads.
We know that the probability for heads is 1/2, which translates to every second throw will result in heads.

That being said, these numbers still look strange. If I compute the probability on the basis of the given odds, I obtain 1/89, which is still freakishly high.
I am not a statistician, so I might be overlooking something.
But thats the case. In Switzerland 2 of 100 deaths are suicides.

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Eng

But thats the case. In Switzerland 2 of 100 deaths are suicides.
Where did you get that number from? Switzerland has around 8,5*10^6 inhabitants. That would imply 170.000 successful suicides per year!
Wikipedia says that the suicide rate of Switzerland is 10,7 per 100.000, which is far more believable.

Reactions: CC123
Ch92921

Ch92921

The call of the void
Dec 29, 2018
Where did you get that number from? Switzerland has around 8,5*10^6 inhabitants. That would imply 170.000 successful suicides per year!
Wikipedia says that the suicide rate of Switzerland is 10,7 per 100.000, which is far more believable.
I am talking in relation to the number of deaths.
We had 70000 deaths and 1000 were suicides.

So your number cant be correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: poisonedminds
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
It's abundantly clear I don't speak French :pfff: Maybe that's how they spell it in Quebec :haha:

Latios

Latios

Experienced
Nov 22, 2020
I think the 1 in 88 number is the total number of people who commit suicide in their entire lifetimes, while the 50k per year is the number who commit suicide in a year. When we multiply the 50k number by the average life expectancy, we get around 3.5 million deaths-by-suicide in the US over a person's entire lifespan....

Reactions: Scribble Fan, Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, demuic and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
I think the 1 in 88 number is the total number of people who commit suicide in their entire lifetimes
Cat What GIF by truth
Lebron James What GIF by SB Nation

Successfully completed suicides couldn't possibly be that common if the suicide rate in the US is only 14 out of 100k. Only fourteen out of a hundred thousand people!

Last edited:
Reactions: CC123
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
I think the 1 in 88 number is the total number of people who commit suicide in their entire lifetimes, while the 50k per year is the number who commit suicide in a year. When we multiply the 50k number by the average life expectancy, we get around 3.5 million deaths-by-suicide in the US over a person's entire lifespan....
I think you are right.
[From here on all the numbers are rounded.]
Let us assume that the population of the US of A remains at a constant 331*10^6 and that the average life expectancy is 78 years.
If we assume that 1:88 are the odds of dying of suicide in the time span of 78 years, that means that the probability of doing so is 1/89.
Therefore, the total number of people committing suicide in the time span of 78 years is 331*10^6/89=3719101.
This means that the annual number of suicides is 3719101/78=47681, which equals 14,4 per 100000.
Why these people didn't clarify this under their chart is a mystery; it certainly isn't obvious and can easily lead to such misunderstandings as the ones we witnessed here.

Reactions: Scribble Fan and demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I think you are right.
[From here on all the numbers are rounded.]
Let us assume that the population of the US of A remains at a constant 331*10^6 and that the average life expectancy is 78 years.
If we assume that 1:88 are the odds of dying of suicide in the time span of 78 years, that means that the probability of doing so is 1/89.
Therefore, the total number of people committing suicide in the time span of 78 years is 331*10^6/89=3719101.
This means that the annual number of suicides is 3719101/78=47681, which equals 14,4 per 100000.
Why these people didn't clarify this under their chart is a mystery; it certainly isn't obvious and can easily lead to such misunderstandings as the ones we witnessed here.
Yes, but...

The chart literally says "Lifetime odds of death for selected causes"

So I'm not sure why there's all this confusion...
OP didn't even say anything about annual deaths or anything so that's just an assumption someone made out of their own confusion.

TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
So I'm not sure why there's all this confusion... OP didn't even say anything about annual deaths or anything so that's just an assumption someone made out of their own confusion.
He claimed that 1 in 88 people commit suicide and only produced the source upon request.

Reactions: motel rooms and CC123