N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Who said that? I can remember a similar quote but who has said that? I am really not sure. When I think about my brain the best guess would be either David Foster Wallace or House of Cards.

I find the quote interesting. However it is pretty naive. The notion to numbing all my feelings with drugs how Lil Peep and Juice WRLD describes it sounds tempting at least when one thinks about the shortterm consequences. However usually that does not end with becoming a rock star, fame, money, sex etc. Most people rather end homeless when they choose that direction.

I need to take addictive medication because of my illness sometimes. It feels great to ease the anxiety but the shit is not worth it. The withdrawal must be hell and I think with such a decision one would end with the back against the wall. And I try to avoid that for as long as possible.

Such a life sounds simplistic. But I think it would kill me after short time. I am not made for such hardship. I think I gonna kill myself because of welfare. I could never survive homelessness. Not even for some months.

I can somewhat understand why it can sound attractive. Being free of more complex decision making. Being free of expectation because one already has lost everything.

I could never live like that. Solely the stigmatization would kill me after a short time. Moreover I think that sounds only like being free. Probably it is the opposite and such people are often damned to spirale down in agony and finding an escape is so fucking hard. Soometimes there are people on this forum who describe their life as being homeless and fuck this scares the shit out of me.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I'd rather be in prison than face homelessness. Thankfully I get disability benefits and life is relatively comfortable even though I don't really have much spare money

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I'd honestly be too frugal to be a drug addict. However I do envy ppl who have thrown themselves into their talent or profession. Something about the solitude of you and just your goals sounds comforting.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
Addiction is hideous. I hope whoever said that is a fictional character being given dialogue the writer intends to be darkly ironic.

If not, that person is an idiot.

Edit: If someone wants to be free of complex decision-making & expectation, tell them to aim for prison. The longer you're in prison, the better your chances of getting out. It's the opposite with addiction.

Last edited:
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
An addict is not necessarily a junkie and a junkie not always an addict.
Being a "junkie" means having a junkie mentality.
It was an extensive and sustained habit that brought me to ASH many years ago. It's a horrible disease. The physical withdrawal alone is pure torment. It's so intense that people will sell their body, hurt loved ones and break every rule they ever had the audacity to impose upon themselves.
The courageous who can endure it, face a psychological and emotional ordeal that can continue for years.
Unable to produce neurotransmitters naturally, happiness is a mythical fantasy. They should just forget about the possibility of sleep.
Most addicts are suppressing intolerable trauma. But it all bubbles up to the surface without opiates along with all the shame and self loathing incurred by the deeds done to stay well.
The concept of "getting high" is a short lived one. Soon enough, it's a matter of debasing yourself for normality.
It's a daily struggle and the most terrible existence I can imagine.
Most of society perceives you as human waste to boot.

Reactions: mang0sp1der