D

doublecupj

Jul 12, 2022
I have gone back and forth in my head on whether or not I should CTB. I've had various discussions with people. And there's one thing that consistently jumps out at me.

There are no rational anti-suicide arguments without the introduction of religion.

And I'm not just talking about Abrahamic religions, or Buddhism, or anything like that. I mean even stuff like "things happen for a reason" or "everything has a purpose". Or my personal favorite, "you're part of nature". All of this is just superstition. It's the idea that something out there is in control, and our immense suffering on earth has some kind of deeper meaning. When in reality, from a secular point of view, we're all just a bunch of atoms arranged in a particular way under the illusion that what we are and what we do really means anything. It doesn't. We are just as insignificant as a rock or a speck of dust. You cannot rationally conclude suicide is a negative without the introduction of religion or superstition.

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu, Deleted member 65988, sadandlonely99 and 5 others
B

baabbaabbaab

Student
Dec 12, 2023
What about "life is beautiful, it will get better". I hate this, to be clear, but it's rational IMO (one can argue about life being beautiful but it could get better) though not always true.

D

doublecupj

Jul 12, 2022
What about "life is beautiful, it will get better". I hate this, to be clear, but it's rational IMO (one can argue about life being beautiful but it could get better) though not always true.
It "could" get worse, too. And often does. Especially when you're faced with old age, financial difficulties, terminal disease, or any of the things that normally drive people to suicide. If you've seen someone die of cancer, I would love to hear you articulate the "beauty" of that. It didn't seem beautiful to me. It seemed agonizing with a huge loss of dignity.

Reactions: sadandlonely99, AInilam, doormat25 and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I see anything to do with religion as fictional anyway, it was invented by humans who were unable to accept that they are simply waiting to cease existing in an existence that is very much meaningless, destined for nothing but the absence of everything. I believe death to simply be nothingness for all eternity so of course such a thing could never be "bad", in fact it's the opposite, all that's bad is as a result of existence with the risk of suffering much more always being there as long as one exists. All of those anti-suicide so called arguments come across as either delusional, irrational or just nonsensical to me.

Reactions: sadandlonely99 and doormat25
B

baabbaabbaab

Student
Dec 12, 2023
It "could" get worse, too. And often does. Especially when you're faced with old age, financial difficulties, terminal disease, or any of the things that normally drive people to suicide. If you've seen someone die of cancer, I would love to hear you articulate the "beauty" of that. It didn't seem beautiful to me. It seemed agonizing with a huge loss of dignity.
Again, I'm against those arguments. But it could get worse or better : it sounds rational to me and it's not a religious/spiritual argument, that's all.

Reuthry

Reuthry

I just want a way out.
Dec 16, 2023
I hate it when they say "Wait, things will get better." No, I have waited for years and no nothing is getting better. "But you matter." says my therapist, no, I don't matter, the money matters. "But you are our child. " says my parents, no you feel this way because you either have the instinct of protecting your own kids so you can make this family survive or you are just afraid of experiencing death in any type of form OR you want me to look after you when you get old. "But the future needs you." my school counselor used to say when I was in high school and no, no one will know or need me if I die, there are 8 billion people in this world, how many of them actually helped the world? Is world even something that can be fixable after this disgusting modern civilization and economic system. It's just so selfish to keep someone alive, but what isn't selfish on this world anyway. Besides it's not only humans our world everything that exists has chaos in it someway, nothing is beautiful, nothing is perfect, all the thing is some random stupid existing things around. I can't wait to die and stop existing, I am getting closer to it and I finally feel like I can ctb, I really hope I can.

Reactions: AInilam, floralheaddress, SilentSadness and 3 others
F

Forever_Sleep

May 5, 2023
I'm not sure, I think 'it will get better' is making a lot of assumptions, and I could even argue with 'life is beatiful' being a reason to not CTB, because even though the concept of life is beautiful, that doesn't make my existence any more enjoyable
The only argument that works on me is 'what about your family/friends' because although it is selfish of them to want me to stay alive, it is simultaneously selfish of me to CTB

Reactions: Reuthry
P

Peerless_Cucumber

The one and only king of cucumbers
Feb 22, 2023
Exactly. It could get better. However there's no guarantee that it will. Therefore I don't consider it a real argument against ctb.

Reuthry

Reuthry

I just want a way out.
Dec 16, 2023
The only argument that works on me is 'what about your family/friends' because although it is selfish of them to want me to stay alive, it is simultaneously selfish of me to CTB
This, exactly. You force someone to live, why isn't it selfish but it is selfish to make a decision about your OWN life and end it? I guess even my life doesn't belong me in this world...

Reactions: Forever_Sleep