BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I just heard about the circumstances earlier. Apparently they tried to get help. They went to a hospital and told staff that they were having suicidal thoughts. They were discharged, then they killed themselves.

It pissed me off. It sounds like my coworker didn't even really get evaluated at all. It makes me glad I'm not trying to get help for my suicidality. Fuck.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Lost in a Dream, Wayfaerer and 13 others
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
My initial thoughts would instantly be "how did they do it?" Followed by "they are at peace now"... Yes I'm a sick person....

Reactions: kitee80, JAG_78, GoodPersonEffed and 9 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Sadly, the system fails a lot of people.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, lostangel, Breadbfra and 9 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
My initial thoughts would instantly be "how did they do it?" Followed by "they are at peace now"... Yes I'm a sick person....
Nah, I was jealous as hell when I found out that they killed themselves. I think they hanged themselves. Tbh I'm getting tempted to try partial...
It does :(

Reactions: kitee80 and JAG_78
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
im jealous of anyone who manages to die. You cant imagine how much i dont want to exist

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, kitee80, cantgetoutofbed and 19 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
It does indeed. Mental health is one of the biggest failings in Healthcare I would be inclined to say.

• Aww..
Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 10475, Good4Nothing and 2 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
im not giving the system the chance to fail me. i make it clear that its my way and if i dont like something then thats the way it is. only i will fail me.

Reactions: kitee80, infinitelove, Breadbfra and 4 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, GoodPersonEffed, Deleted member 19654 and 1 other person
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
the system fails a lot of people.
It's the system that's the problem in a lot of cases.
The only way the system really fails people is by forcing them to stay alive against their will

Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Wayfaerer, CarbonMonoxide and 2 others
the witch’s lament

the witch’s lament

Sep 5, 2020
it's disgusting how the healthcare system (U.S) bleeds us dry of our money while we're looking for help only just so we can be broke and end up CTB. your coworker is definitely in a better place

• Love
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Meditation guide, VIBRITANNIA and 2 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
im not giving the system the chance to fail me. i make it clear that its my way and if i dont like something then thats the way it is. only i will fail me.
Same, i made it clear to those around me if anyone ever holds me against my will or hospitalIves me or forces treatment on me I will CTB the second Im free. Only I decide if I live or die.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, less than, icanhasnick and 2 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
it's disgusting how the healthcare system (U.S) bleeds us dry of our money while we're looking for help only just so we can be broke and end up CTB. your coworker is definitely in a better place
I agree 100%

• Love
Reactions: the witch’s lament
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Same, i made it clear to those around me if anyone ever holds me against my will or hospitalIves me or forces treatment on me I will CTB the second Im free. Only I decide if I live or die.
thinking about it......how do they think this is helpful? i mean we are the way we are because of abuse and that ^ sounds like abuse. wouldnt that just reinforce things?

Reactions: BitterlyAlive
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
It seems the US welfare system is ruthlessly darwinian, i.e. there basically is no welfare state and you are at the mercy of the circumstances into which you were born and the unpredictability of the economy. Why should anyone be expected to be loyal and patriotic under such conditions of unfairness?

A society's social structure should be made in a Rawlsian original position from behind a hypothetical veil of ignorance. This would ensure fairness and equality of treatment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Wisdom3_1-9 and BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
thinking about it......how do they think this is helpful? i mean we are the way we are because of abuse and that ^ sounds like abuse. wouldnt that just reinforce things?
At my job, I've had nurses literally threaten some suicidal people with security and antipsychotics if they're not compliant. It really only makes the situation escalate even further....

Reactions: Spitfire and Superdeterminist
A

adios

May 13, 2020
100%, if anything being hospitalized put me so behind financially and in school that it made me feel even worse:(

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: BitterlyAlive and the witch’s lament
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
They have the attitude that they need to protect us from ourselves. People also fear loss, and knowing someone is suicidal makes them panic and want to control the situation. Its not helping us it's just consoling the situation. They become to scared and selfish to care what we want or need.

• Aww..
Jellyfish42

Jellyfish42

Aug 23, 2020
At least the person exhausted their final option. Sucks that it didn't work for them but I'd imagine they had some peace of mind knowing that even the system is unable to help.

• Love
Reactions: Joey and BitterlyAlive
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
The price of being honest about one's suicidality...rarely does any good seem to come of it. Instead one seems much more likely to suffer ridicule, alienation, and contempt, making the urges even stronger.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, kitee80, cantgetoutofbed and 3 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
At least the person exhausted their final option. Sucks that it didn't work for them but I'd imagine they had some peace of mind knowing that even the system is unable to help.
That's a great way to look at it. Thank you.
The price of being honest about one's suicidality...rarely does any good seem to come of it. Instead one seems much more likely to suffer ridicule, alienation, and contempt, making the urges even stronger.
I tried to be honest and was dismissed. I'll be damned if I try again!

Reactions: CarbonMonoxide and Superdeterminist
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
So how does this news (suicide being how they died) get found out by coworkers? And did you often interact with this person?

Curious as I would assume my co-workers would simply be informed I'm deceased and not get more details than that.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
So how does this news (suicide being how they died) get found out by coworkers? And did you often interact with this person?

Curious as I would assume my co-workers would simply be informed I'm deceased and not get more details than that.
We work in the ER so we're all like a "family" (barf). News goes around about these things - every time someone dies by suicide, the news gets out quickly. I personally don't know how often I interacted with them. I have a hell of a lot of trouble remembering people unless I work with them every single day one-on-one.

• Love
Reactions: rt1989526
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
We work in the ER so we're all like a "family" (barf). News goes around about these things - every time someone dies by suicide, the news gets out quickly. I personally don't know how often I interacted with them. I have a hell of a lot of trouble remembering people unless I work with them every single day one-on-one.

Damn you say that like it happens often. Crazy. I guess life in health care is different than some stupid corporate office like I'm in. I would hope details of my passing aren't revealed. Im also not sure how or if these things are reported in media outlets.

Regardless, atleast that person's suffering is over.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Damn you say that like it happens often. Crazy. I guess life in health care is different than some stupid corporate office like I'm in. I would hope details of my passing aren't revealed. Im also not sure how or if these things are reported in media outlets.

Regardless, atleast that person's suffering is over.
It seems to happen a few times a year. I look at obituaries and it only says the person "passed unexpectedly". Which...is fair.

Yeah, I really hope they're at peace. They were in a rough and traumatic line of work, and with depression on top of that? Sorry if this sounds rude but it just seems like suicide fuel.

Reactions: rt1989526
icanhasnick

icanhasnick

Student
Sep 3, 2020
they had some peace of mind knowing that even the system is unable to help.
I will make sure to go confirm that the fisheria has no fish before i proceed.

W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Mental health is one of the biggest failings in Healthcare I would be inclined to say.
I think this is related to the fact that it's one of the biggest gaps in human knowledge. We do not truly understand the human brain or human emotion, yet we attempt to affect and influence it. Our scientific understanding of it is so sparse, and yet we pretend that we can use that sparse understanding to heal. The intention is positive, but we are out of our league.

Reactions: Superdeterminist, WinterFaust, BPD Barbie and 1 other person
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I think this is related to the fact that it's one of the biggest gaps in human knowledge. We do not truly understand the human brain or human emotion, yet we attempt to affect and influence it. Our scientific understanding of it is so sparse, and yet we pretend that we can use that sparse understanding to heal. The intention is positive, but we are out of our league.
Oooh, good point. We definitely don't understand the brain yet.

M

mapletree

Student
Aug 22, 2020
It's one of the very unique and oh so lovable aspects of the US healthcare system that the mentally ill are pretty much universally reviled, but if you try to CTB that's a big no no, but also you will be forcibly treated and released if you attempt or even say the wrong thing with a giant bill, but also there's no social safety net so you should go die because you're a mental defective and ugh yucky, but also no you cannot die, here's another 10k bill, please die because you're a degenerate, but also don't die because suicide bad and makes me feel bad but also please die, but don't die, uwu (tl dr version of US pro life culture)

I'm convinced the pro lifers are so "pro life" because they're terrified of losing a cheap desperate labor pool and or the idea of someone escaping debt via death, or actually having any control whatsoever. They want the mentally ill to die but they don't want it to be their choice, they want us to die when we're told to or when we're no longer useful. They don't want a social safety net of any kind because we aren't worth it, but they also don't want people to opt out of the system or escape even if it's through non existence. They get everything; you get nothing, for the simple reason of: because they can, and they have no reason to make things any different. Why bother? The dregs of society don't matter. They're a disposable labor pool and you can't extract labor from a corpse.

At a certain point at least in the US this stops being a pure mental health problem and starts being a social, community problem, which is almost a guarantee that it won't be fixed because the last thing I can see any American community doing is going out of their way to collectively invest in any vulnerable populations; I think they would rather get hit by a hurricane or a wildfire or ICBM than do that, it's just the absolute antithesis of American culture imo

I feel bad for your coworker because it sounded like they initially didn't want to die and wanted help. I don't like the idea of people who actually want to live being put in a situation where they feel like they have to die. I hope they're at peace.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, cantgetoutofbed, Superdeterminist and 3 others
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
100% agree with this.