author

author

they/them
Jul 13, 2021
My good therapist went on maternity leave, and the first therapist I'm matched with in another practice is just... Awful.

The first session she kept cutting me off and wouldn't let me explain the reason I was there because she was "challenging" my thought process. She wouldn't have needed to "challenge" it if she let me finish speaking. Like... I understand what she was trying to do, but that needs to wait until after the intake is finished. You can't jump into that or you won't get the full story - and she didn't. I calmly told her that this upset me but I gave her another chance with a second session.

Second session, she interrupts me less, but she doesn't really say anything helpful - and instead says something that really sticks in my brain...
"People can never be there for you in the way we need them to."
What a pessimistic thing for a therapist to say, but it stuck in the back of my head.

For the next two weeks, it echoed in my mind endlessly. It was like hearing the words of my inner self-hatred spoken by another person - the voice that tells me nothing is worth it. I almost pulled away from my friends completely. They noticed, too, and reached out to me several times. They were actually worried about me, but I was too lost in my own head and escapism. I now had two voices telling me that people would hate me, disappoint me, and never truly love me.

We had to skip a week, but we just had the third session today. I almost cried barely 17 minutes in - not because I was talking through my issues and bringing them to light, but because she was repeating the same type of narrative to me.
"People will always disappoint us."
I was pretty much done at that point. I almost cried telling her that I wanted a new therapist, because that thought process was extremely harmful to me. She "challenged" me again, asking if anyone was ever really there for me.
"I have friends who are there for me."
"Are they ever NOT there for you?"
"I mean, sometimes they're busy with work, but isn't everyone sometimes-?"
"AH, SEE, sometimes they're not there for you!"

I hated that. A lot. She didn't believe me when I said her words were feeding my depression and making me want to pull away from other people. I was fighting myself in my head as I listened to her go on about how I need to be less dependent on people because we'll never be fulfilled by friends. Blatant bullshit, but it's literally what my own head tries to convince me of, so hearing it from another person (a second time) was horrible. When I told her I wasn't dependent on people, she didn't seem to believe me because she gave a very sarcastic and exaggerated "You're not?"

I'm someone who's gone through a lot of therapy and done a lot of introspection on myself. People always treated me like I was the monster - I was the scapegoat child, the "insane friend", the one who was "asking for it" - and so I sought endlessly to improve myself. At some point, I had to realize that I was not the only person to blame for everything and anything. I told her this, too. She just didn't understand that.

She grossly misunderstood me because she didn't bother to let me explain myself to her.

When she told me she was a CBT therapist, it made a little more sense. I've never had good experiences with those therapists. I understand they're people, and people are all different, but that therapy style doesn't work well with me. I was raised in a volatile environment, and having someone cut me off before I can explain myself is kind of triggering - and honestly, bad practice for a therapist to continuously do anyways.

She talked about how she tried to meet me where I was, and that she can't change her training, and I told her I understood - but it all felt very defensive. She's referring me to someone else now, or at least, I hope she is.

I refuse to go to another session with her, even if I'm not transferred to another therapist. I can't wait until my old therapist is off maternity leave...

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: littlelungs, BeautifulMosaics, whywere and 8 others
AtMostOkay

AtMostOkay

Screw your courage to the sticking place.
Jun 29, 2021
My good therapist went on maternity leave, and the first therapist I'm matched with in another practice is just... Awful.

The first session she kept cutting me off and wouldn't let me explain the reason I was there because she was "challenging" my thought process. She wouldn't have needed to "challenge" it if she let me finish speaking. Like... I understand what she was trying to do, but that needs to wait until after the intake is finished. You can't jump into that or you won't get the full story - and she didn't. I calmly told her that this upset me but I gave her another chance with a second session.

Second session, she interrupts me less, but she doesn't really say anything helpful - and instead says something that really sticks in my brain...
What a pessimistic thing for a therapist to say, but it stuck in the back of my head.

For the next two weeks, it echoed in my mind endlessly. It was like hearing the words of my inner self-hatred spoken by another person - the voice that tells me nothing is worth it. I almost pulled away from my friends completely. They noticed, too, and reached out to me several times. They were actually worried about me, but I was too lost in my own head and escapism. I now had two voices telling me that people would hate me, disappoint me, and never truly love me.

We had to skip a week, but we just had the third session today. I almost cried barely 17 minutes in - not because I was talking through my issues and bringing them to light, but because she was repeating the same type of narrative to me.
I was pretty much done at that point. I almost cried telling her that I wanted a new therapist, because that thought process was extremely harmful to me. She "challenged" me again, asking if anyone was ever really there for me.

I hated that. A lot. She didn't believe me when I said her words were feeding my depression and making me want to pull away from other people. I was fighting myself in my head as I listened to her go on about how I need to be less dependent on people because we'll never be fulfilled by friends. Blatant bullshit, but it's literally what my own head tries to convince me of, so hearing it from another person (a second time) was horrible. When I told her I wasn't dependent on people, she didn't seem to believe me because she gave a very sarcastic and exaggerated "You're not?"

I'm someone who's gone through a lot of therapy and done a lot of introspection on myself. People always treated me like I was the monster - I was the scapegoat child, the "insane friend", the one who was "asking for it" - and so I sought endlessly to improve myself. At some point, I had to realize that I was not the only person to blame for everything and anything. I told her this, too. She just didn't understand that.

She grossly misunderstood me because she didn't bother to let me explain myself to her.

When she told me she was a CBT therapist, it made a little more sense. I've never had good experiences with those therapists. I understand they're people, and people are all different, but that therapy style doesn't work well with me. I was raised in a volatile environment, and having someone cut me off before I can explain myself is kind of triggering - and honestly, bad practice for a therapist to continuously do anyways.

She talked about how she tried to meet me where I was, and that she can't change her training, and I told her I understood - but it all felt very defensive. She's referring me to someone else now, or at least, I hope she is.

I refuse to go to another session with her, even if I'm not transferred to another therapist. I can't wait until my old therapist is off maternity leave...
That is an all too familiar experience, and I'm sorry you are forced to struggle through it. You sound thoughtful and brave. Big hugs.

• Hugs
Reactions: FuneralCry, Huntfish34, Manaaja and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry you are going through this. I can imagine how this whole experience must be upsetting. I wish you the best.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: author, Huntfish34, Manaaja and 1 other person
mystique

mystique

Jul 8, 2021
Your therapist is pessimistic but realistic. Of course people will disappoint, betray or hurt us at some point. Now the way she said that was inappropriate. She shouldn't have been so harsh.

Reactions: bed
author

author

they/them
Jul 13, 2021
Your therapist is pessimistic but realistic. Of course people will disappoint, betray or hurt us at some point. Now the way she said that was inappropriate. She shouldn't have been so harsh.
I know there will always be people who hurt or disappoint me, that's not wrong, but it was really... I don't know how to put this too well. I'm gonna try my best.

She was pushing a very individualistic mindset where I was (supposedly) too dependent on friends and needed to be self-reliant because no one would ever make me feel happy or fulfilled, and I shouldn't hope that anyone will be there for me when I need help. I hesitate to call it realistic. It's definitely pessimistic. Considering she hadn't actually fully listened to my problems and background, too, it was kind of baffling that she immediately thought I was dependent on others. I think she got that from some assumption based on my diagnoses...

In my opinion, it's not bad to lean on other people for a moment if they're willing to help. Moments of vulnerability can connect us to others and make us feel understood. That's one of the reasons I joined this forum. It helps to feel less alone. Of course, no one can always be there for you at every single waking moment, but it's wrong to say that they'll never be there for you.

I especially took an issue with the therapist because I already have a huge habit of self-isolating because I don't want to "burden" my friends. She was making it worse by encouraging me to isolate further to the point where my friends were concerned for my well-being (which, ironically proves that they can be there for me). I only fully realized it was an issue when I acted on an impulse and finally picked up the phone for one of my concerned friends, and told her what was going on - and she helped me much more.

Sorry that got kinda long.
tl;dr she's kind of extreme, and not very realistic, to be honest. I do think she was harsh too, though.

oliviahurts

oliviahurts

guess I'm paralyzed now
Sep 13, 2021

Yeah she sounds like she's got her own issues that she's bringing to the room. I had CBT four years ago and it just got stuck at an impass where I couldn't remember any of the thoughts that caused my emotions. She reffered me to an assessment (which ended up being really bad). She couldn't help, but she wasn't bad because she knew her limits.

The one you saw sounds really bad. Well she sounds like a bitch. I'm amazed you were able to stick it out for three sessions. You have to be so vulnerable and open for therapy to work, and it sounds like she was just stabbing at your less defended spot saying 'ahah! you're not invincible'. 'But, of course, that's why im in therapy'. The only thing this 'technique' (which I don't think is CBT) could achive is teaching you to answer questions more defensively and less honestly. Hope your next therapist is good.

Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, NumbItAll, anaschariac and 1 other person
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Yeah she sounds like she's got her own issues that she's bringing to the room. I had CBT four years ago and it just got stuck at an impass where I couldn't remember any of the thoughts that caused my emotions. She reffered me to an assessment (which ended up being really bad). She couldn't help, but she wasn't bad because she knew her limits.

The one you saw sounds really bad. Well she sounds like a bitch. I'm amazed you were able to stick it out for three sessions. You have to be so vulnerable and open for therapy to work, and it sounds like she was just stabbing at your less defended spot saying 'ahah! you're not invincible'. 'But, of course, that's why im in therapy'. The only thing this 'technique' (which I don't think is CBT) could achive is teaching you to answer questions more defensively and less honestly. Hope your next therapist is good.
CBT has limits as thoughts causing emotions can be unconscious so not always obvious to recollect. Keeping journal can sometimes help bring them out.

oliviahurts

oliviahurts

guess I'm paralyzed now
Sep 13, 2021
CBT has limits as thoughts causing emotions can be unconscious so not always obvious to recollect. Keeping journal can sometimes help bring them out.
This is going off topic, but the problem for me I thik was dissocciation (in the broad sense). I found I'd have long heated arguments with myself, feel fine then suddenly break something, then go back to feeling fine, I would smile all the time even when I wanted to die, and I'd roll around on the floor in my room bashing/crusing various parts of my body. I couldn't explain this with my current model of my mind as being a collection of beliefs, desires, emotions, thoughts, and memories, with a single stream of conciousness.

So I considered my mind to have a rational calculating part (which at the time felt like 'me') surrounded by a larger irrational/emotional part that both forced desires on me and impeded me from fulfilling them. Then I searched out the contradictions in this irrational/emotional part and further split it into 7 self-consistent parts/personalities/identites. Each could be understood to have it's own beliefs, desires emotions and stream of thoughts (and in some cases memories). Then I worked on ensuring that no part felt neglected, which reduced how much they interfered with the others. At first I understood this to be dissociative identity disorder, but now I see that everyone has different parts whether they recognise them or not, eg for work, as a parent, online, in romantic settings etc.