Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Is this workaholism taken to a new dimension? I'm moving apartments and I decided that the new place needed a facelift. New paint on the walls and ceilings, new floors, new curtain bars, new paint and handles on the kitchen cupboards, new countertop, new mirror and cabinets in the bathroom...

Normally you'd hire a construction firm to do this, and it was originally my plan. Spontaneously and for no obvious reason, on the day I got the keys, I decided to do everything myself instead. Went to a construction store and bought a whole wagon worth of tools and materials. I'm a pipsqueak and never done manual labor in my life. I mean, this is all still in the realm of possibility but it's going to be hell. I'll probably get myself injured and there's a risk I'll mess up everything and have to hire a construction firm anyway to clean up my mess. Even so, all I'm feeling about this stupid situation is a sick excitement. It's always like this. If I have any opportunity to throw myself into some crazy undertaking that I really shouldn't, I'll just do it anyway, just to feel that I'm engaged in something. It doesn't sound like such a bad thing on paper, but in reality my body isn't keeping up with the strain. Some day I'm going to physically break from this and I feel that day might be close.

Realised that I forgot to buy working overalls so I'm bringing a set of old pajamas to work in... this is going to be an interesting weekend.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: silent staring void, OnlyTheWind, destiny and 17 others
Mendex

Mendex

The Sleep of reason produces monsters
Jan 9, 2021

-
Makko, what are you trying to say to us is that you are gonna open your own fight club?

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, Makko, shy and 1 other person
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
It seems you'll be quite busy with this big challenge.

I remember wanted to paint my whole apartment but I ended up hiring a painter. I just suck at it lol

• Hugs
Reactions: Makko, shy and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Is this workaholism taken to a new dimension? I'm moving apartments and I decided that the new place needed a facelift. New paint on the walls and ceilings, new floors, new curtain bars, new paint and handles on the kitchen cupboards, new countertop, new mirror and cabinets in the bathroom...

Normally you'd hire a construction firm to do this, and it was originally my plan. Spontaneously and for no obvious reason, on the day I got the keys, I decided to do everything myself instead. Went to a construction store and bought a whole wagon worth of tools and materials. I'm a pipsqueak and never done manual labor in my life. I mean, this is all still in the realm of possibility but it's going to be hell. I'll probably get myself injured and there's a risk I'll mess up everything and have to hire a construction firm anyway to clean up my mess. Even so, all I'm feeling about this stupid situation is a sick excitement. It's always like this. If I have any opportunity to throw myself into some crazy undertaking that I really shouldn't, I'll just do it anyway, just to feel that I'm engaged in something. It doesn't sound like such a bad thing on paper, but in reality my body isn't keeping up with the strain. Some day I'm going to physically break from this and I feel that day might be close.

Realised that I forgot to buy working overalls so I'm bringing a set of old pajamas to work in... this is going to be an interesting weekend.
Good on you. My old motorbike was playing up so I watched a YouTube video and decided I was a mechanic. Long story short, I had to get an actual mechanic to fix the damage I had done before getting around to fixing the actual problem.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: ncmxm, Makko, shy and 2 others
Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
Sounds really fun. Post pictures of the mess.

Reactions: Makko and shy
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Yes, we need pictures.

Reactions: shy
shy

shy

Student
Aug 23, 2020
The whole breaking part aside, your gung-ho attitude is pretty badass(I'm a bit envious tbh). Where are you getting all the extra time and energy from? Aren't you working a lot already?

Reactions: voyager and Makko
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I'm home after 6 hours of working on the apartment, couldn't do any more today. The groundwork is all I managed so far. Removed all the loose screws and nails and other unwanted things, scraped off loose paint, sandpapered and spackled the walls. Almost got myself killed when pulling out a weirdly placed chandelier hook out of the ceiling and the ladder I was standing on flipped over.

On the way there, I just had to stop by a Paraguayan (?) fast food restaurant and pick up one of their hot sanwiches that I had for lunch while working. I've heard a south american colleague praise that restaurant as "classic third world blue collar food" and I really wanted the authentic experience. Chowed down that sandwich while in my old pajamas, covered in dust and spackel and dry paint flakes everywhere. This is the manliest day of my life.

Completely exhausted after all this. I'm aching all over, it almost feels like someone beat me up. But this is just the start, I haven't even started painting yet, which I'll have to do tomorrow. My boss allowed me paid leave for the move and refurbishings, but I don't want to get behind on billing, so I've planned next week to go work on the apartment from morning to noon and then work at the office from noon to evening. This is going to be intense.
The whole breaking part aside, your gung-ho attitude is pretty badass(I'm a bit envious tbh). Where are you getting all the extra time and energy from? Aren't you working a lot already?
I'm doing this despite not having any extra time and energy. That's sort of the problem. Workaholism is a lot like anorexia, from what I've read of the latter here. You know it's going to kill you, but you do it anyway because you can't really live any other way.

Reactions: Breakout92, Mendex, voyager and 2 others
Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
I'm home after 6 hours of working on the apartment, couldn't do any more today. The groundwork is all I managed so far. Removed all the loose screws and nails and other unwanted things, scraped off loose paint, sandpapered and spackled the walls. Almost got myself killed when pulling out a weirdly placed chandelier hook out of the ceiling and the ladder I was standing on flipped over.

On the way there, I just had to stop by a Paraguayan (?) fast food restaurant and pick up one of their hot sanwiches that I had for lunch while working. I've heard a south american colleague praise that restaurant as "classic third world blue collar food" and I really wanted the authentic experience. Chowed down that sandwich while in my old pajamas, covered in dust and spackel and dry paint flakes everywhere. This is the manliest day of my life.

Completely exhausted after all this. I'm aching all over, it almost feels like someone beat me up. But this is just the start, I haven't even started painting yet, which I'll have to do tomorrow. My boss allowed me paid leave for the move and refurbishings, but I don't want to get behind on billing, so I've planned next week to go work on the apartment from morning to noon and then work at the office from noon to evening. This is going to be intense.

I'm doing this despite not having any extra time and energy. That's sort of the problem. Workaholism is a lot like anorexia, from what I've read of the latter here. You know it's going to kill you, but you do it anyway because you can't really live any other way.
Are you ok? Like, for real. Sounds like you are going to die next week. You are one of my favorites imaginary friends try to don't die too soon.

• Yay!
Reactions: Makko, EmbraceOfTheVoid and shy
shy

shy

Student
Aug 23, 2020
I envy your capacity to destroy yourself, while I wouldn't envy someone who suffers from anorexia. Btw do people usually praise you for working so much, or are you told to take it easy from time to time?

Hope your little project turns out alright and that you don't burn out.

Reactions: Makko
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
When I read the title of this thread I thought you had finally given up on wage slavery and gone full hermit mode by building a shack in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: shy and Makko
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
If you have the funds, consider including an abyss.
B9CDE7B6 99F4 4832 87B7 6615C35A1B53

Or better still one of your own design/creation.

Last edited:
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Good on you. My old motorbike was playing up so I watched a YouTube video and decided I was a mechanic. Long story short, I had to get an actual mechanic to fix the damage I had done before getting around to fixing the actual problem.
I have watched some this guy's videos, now I am a master of trade and ready to paint anything and anyone.

When I read the title of this thread I thought you had finally given up on wage slavery and gone full hermit mode by building a shack in the middle of nowhere.
I wish. Maybe this will be a useful preparatory experience.

If you have the funds, consider including an abyss.
View attachment 66061

Or better still one of your own design/creation.
I'll look into some fancy furniture once I'm done with the basics. One thing at a time here...

Reactions: shy, Mendex and Mentalmick
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I'll look into some fancy furniture once I'm done with the basics. One thing at a time here...
True, but you can use it as motivational material if things start to get tiring or take longer than expected.

Mendex

Mendex

Jan 9, 2021
You should check books about remodeling and improvements before doing all this stuff.
91Zx7ZX4wEL.jpg
71KCQ23RDJL.gif

This are my recommendations, You may find it in a black library as Library Genesis (https://libgen.is gen.rus.lib)

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I went back today to inspect my earlier groundwork and saw that about half of it was crap and had to be redone. The other half was good though, which surprised me.

My arms are falling off from having to reach up to spackle the ceiling. The idiot who owned the place before me installed some weird cables on the ceiling that weren't connected to anything, and when I tore them off it to heft a long ugly hole in the ceiling paint that I had to fix. I also cut myself with the spackle knife and thus properly consecrated the new apartment with virgin blood.

And finally I ordered the floors (since they're not included in the wagon I bought to start with). The outlet only offered delivery to the property border, meaning I'll have to carry 200 kg of floorboards up to my top floor apartment in my tiny noodle arms. I'm not sure how this will work out but somehow it will. The most bewildering thing about life is that everything always works out. Somehow.

You should check books about remodeling and improvements before doing all this stuff.
91Zx7ZX4wEL.jpg
71KCQ23RDJL.gif

This are my recommendations, You may find it in a black library as Library Genesis (https://libgen.is gen.rus.lib)
Wise, but too late, I'm already in the middle of everything. I also don't have the patience for reading anymore. Studying at university for 10 years has made me absolutely sick of books. Many of my older colleagues are home improvement fanatics and gave me a boat load of unsolicited practical advice, that's all the knowledge I'm bringing.

I envy your capacity to destroy yourself, while I wouldn't envy someone who suffers from anorexia. Btw do people usually praise you for working so much, or are you told to take it easy from time to time?

Hope your little project turns out alright and that you don't burn out.
People don't really notice how much you work. If you do nothing but work when hanging out with someone, it's assumed that you use your downtime away from them to chill out, like all normal people do. They'll never know that you use your downtime for working, and the people you hang out with during your "downtime" think that you're using your other time for chilling out... which you don't. But they don't know that.

Reactions: Mendex and shy
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
I'd send some of me men round to help but they're busy on another job at the moment:
Diy ride gone wrong

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, signifying nothing and Makko
Mendex

Mendex

Jan 9, 2021
Is this the new season of HoHome Bizzare adventure?

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Painted the ceiling today. My neck is dead, my back aged 80 years and my arm muscles must have grown at least twice as big from the exercise. The first thing that happened when I started painting is that a big blob of paint fell down from the roller and splattered all over my face, only then I realised it's pretty stupid to roll the spot of ceiling directly above you. Also I don't have adequate construction lights, and I'm painting one hue of white over another hue of white, so I mostly didn't see what I was doing and just randomly rolled paint all over the place. I can only wonder how it will look when dry.

Funny gifs head banging painters

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Bedrock48, GenesAndEnvironment, signifying nothing and 2 others
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
The 200 kg of floor arrives tomorrow morning. I measured the elevator and realised the packages won't fit in there. I'll have to carry all of it up to the top floor using stairs. There we have it, my suicide method is floor delivery

• Yay!
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment and Mentalmick
Mendex

Mendex

Jan 9, 2021
The 200 kg of floor arrives tomorrow morning. I measured the elevator and realised the packages won't fit in there. I'll have to carry all of it up to the top floor using stairs. There we have it, my suicide method is floor delivery
"Only 36% of injuries involving missed workdays were the result of shoulder and back injuries" Bending, followed by twisting and turning, were the more commonly cited movements that caused back injuries. Strains and sprains from lifting loads improperly or from carrying loads that are either too large or too heavy are common hazards associated with manually moving materials.

When employees use smart lifting practices, they are less likely to suffer from back sprains, muscle pulls, wrist injuries, elbow injuries, spinal injuries, and other injuries caused by lifting heavy objects. Please use this page to learn more about safe lifting and material handling.

Sound like a nonlethal method

• Yay!
Reactions: virginiawoolf
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
Things like this can actually be a lot of fun. I remember one restaurant I worked at, the owner wanted to replace all the tile in the place with faux wood. So, he hired two guys to help a bit, paid them after 2 days and him, his girlfriend and myself finished the rest in like 3 or 4 days. We all had little experience with this type of thing, but we still did a damn good job in the end.

Reactions: Makko
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Got the floor. They put the pallet down on the ground and it was loaded with a stack of packages, each package with a few floorboards. I tried to lift one package and could only carry it more a few steps at a time before having to set it down to rest.

Then out of nowhere my boss showed up. Apparently he overheard me bantering about my predicament at the office and spontaneously decided to help out. He's a big guy so he could easily carry the package. It was a huge relief but also a bit anti-climatic. I booked the whole day for this but with his help we were done in 20 minutes. He also showed me how to install the floor and lent me some tools, since I had no idea how to do that either. So of course that meant I could go the office and work the rest of the day. It was clearly all a part of the boss' master plan...

I'm exhausted. My arms and legs hurt all over. I managed to scrape my fingers bloody even though I was wearing working gloves. Still billed a few hours afterwards though. I bandaged my fingers but still got blood all over my papers. Good thing I scraped the bottom parts of the fingers and not the fingertips, so I can still type without issue.

This is no problem now. If I ever get stuck on anything I guess I'll just call the boss and he'll renovate for me so that I can get more billable hours in...?

• Yay!
Reactions: Lmd, GenesAndEnvironment, Bedrock48 and 2 others
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Started painting the walls today. Before painting I had to put up masking tape all around the ceiling border and I don't know how people do this. Two hours in, there was masking tape all over me and all over the apartment except where I wanted it.

Got to work on cutting in the walls with a brush. Last time when I painted the ceiling I couldn't see where I had painted and where not, because the old and new colors were similar. This time I wasn't having that nonsense so I brought a big industrial flashlight. Didn't help at all. I painted, shone the flashlight right there and the edge still wasn't visible. Again ended up just randomly smearing paint all over the place.

Also realised that in one place the wallpaper started peeling off, ruiing my groundwork and making painting there impossible. I was also out of spackle so I'll have to leave that wall for last.

Anyone else noticed renovating is sort of like playing tetris?

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: KleinerWolf and Disco Biscuit
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Last night's progress:

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, kovkay, Bedrock48 and 2 others
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
When you're painting and keep wanting to press Ctrl+Z but realise you're in real life, over and over

• Yay!
Reactions: OnlyTheWind, Sprite_Geist, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I have to lay the whole floor today.

Furniture arrives on tuesday and by wednesday I have to move in. If I'm not done by then, I'll probably have to life in a half-finished apartment.

But I'm so tired I can barely get up from the chair. Even typing this feels like an effort. It feels like I'm breaking apart. Don't know how I'll do this.