catowice

catowice

I'm not from katowice!
Jun 17, 2022
I come here to "disappear" and to be able to see an active side of life that cannot usually be talked about normally (without the risk of "pls get help" as we all know about). Hence anonymity is quite a factor here, if anyone who knows me in real life were to visit here and knows it's me, it would've defeated the purpose.

(maybe we know each other in real life?)

With that said, I wonder how much of society actually knows about this place, given all the censorship and stuff like that?

It's such a vague question X) can you try to come up with an answer that is satisfying to read?

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34
Rainy_days

Rainy_days

Experienced
Dec 21, 2022
I don't think very many people know or care. The New York Times did a major hit piece on this place but it's not like it became a household name or anything. People don't want to think about suicide - if they do they want to focus on preventing it. A group of chronic or treatment resistant suicidal people only becomes interesting to them when there's a story of predation, preferably involving a young person. Feeling outraged and morally righteous feels very good compared to the helplessness of knowing there are suicidal people who are not quickly and easily "fixed".

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Lost in a Dream, milkandcoffee and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
From what I know this site has been featured in the media for years, mostly in news articles but I believe that most of them don't name the site so that people don't go searching it. I really don't think that a very large amount of people are aware of this site, as if there was I bet that it wouldn't exist at this point, as this society is so disgustingly pro life where any conversation in relation to suicide usually gets censored.
I very much hate the way that this society generally views suicide and it's such a cruel thing to wish to restrict suicide method information. If people want to die they should just be able to and it's nothing to do with anyone else, they should have no say in it.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Huntfish34 and catowice
Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
Hmmm... good question. I'd say that some people know but not many.

S

suisuiforum

Experienced
Jul 4, 2021
I agree that most people (at least those who aren't chronically online) wouldn't know about the site, despite being alluded to in a bunch of new articles and directly mentioned by the NYT. However, I still try to be careful about sharing too much information about myself on here, at least in public forums, since I don't want my identity compromised. Maybe I'm too paranoid, but you never know who you're talking to online, and it's better safe than sorry imo.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
Very few people in the general public know or care about this site. But that is not necessarily indicative of your social group, if you have one. Most people on r/efilism, for instance, probably know about this site.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I've been suicidal for 33 years and I only found out about this place 8 months ago. I'm sure I've Googled suicide SO many times but for whatever reason- I didn't find it. I suppose I didn't even think a place like this would exist with all the censorship that goes on.

I finally discovered it through the NYT article. That's the irony really- it's likely the critical media pieces that CAN be found easily that guide people in the direction of sites like this.

I think 'normies' do realise places like this exist- how else would people learn how to use the more obscure methods? Still- I expect they hold the view that these places are utterly evil and full of predators. They likely think we just all bully and coax one another into doing it. I expect they just think it's so abhorrent that they try and block it out.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream, Yavannah and Lammpz