D

desperatemen83

save my lost soul
Mar 2, 2020
Hi, I read somewhere that you should store sn at dark, well ventilated place and not on wood en floor. Do someone know why is that? I know sn is oxidizer and incompitable with flammable materials (wood, paper) but are there more reasons than just it can hasten the fire(in case of fire)?

L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
Never read this anywhere. Cool dry place is all that's needed .. so not in a bathroom.

Reactions: autumnal
D

desperatemen83

save my lost soul
Mar 2, 2020
When you type sn storage conditions on google there is a sentence keep out flammable materials and it is recommende not to keep it on wooden floor. I assumed it is because sn is oxidizer and can hasten fire.

L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
Apparently it's used to identify certain types of wood. So maybe the warning is so it doesn't accidentally turn wood flooring black or ruin it. It's also used in tanning wood..
having it a controlled container should alleviate this concern . See post below
I thought I would try testing my SN today after reading @Jen Erik post on the white oak test, I looked it up and it's used extensively to differentiate between white and red oak, as a visual is not sufficient.
So I have an old oak chest of drawers and decided to shave some wood off for the test. Apparently the SN solution has to be exact, so I had to venture out in the pissing rain to buy scales.
Anyway the wood didn't turn black, maybe it's not white oak, I've another test in mind which will hopefully prove conclusive.
The video shows what the results are with the test from 4min 35sec.