C

cazwiz

Feb 25, 2020
Please don't mock, I'm well aware that SN is salt and a preservative, but anything that isn't 100% pure and is exposed to oxygen will degrade to some extent. My question is: I have just 50g of SN and want to do the simple blood colour test to boost my confidence in a successful ctb (I'm not clever enough to do the aquarium test and calculate purity). If I were to open my vacuum sealed pack and do a test then chicken out and have months or years before I pluck up the courage to mix a drink, will the SN degrade and loss it's strength and purity? It's become really difficult in the UK to get hold of SN so I got this pack last year so I'm nervous to open it and test if it then degrades the product and I can't get a replacement. Any thoughts?

Busoccupant

Busoccupant

Aug 18, 2020
As far as I know it will be well preserved unless it's not too hot or damp. Let's hope someone knows more details cause it's a good question.

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I think it has a shelf life, if kept correctly of course, of a couple of years.

• Love
Reactions: TimeToBiteTheDust
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
To be honest, I've seen conflicting sources on this. General wisdom seems to be 2-3 years, though some sources insist that it never degrades.

Thewetwater

Thewetwater

May 6, 2020
Please don't mock, I'm well aware that SN is salt and a preservative, but anything that isn't 100% pure and is exposed to oxygen will degrade to some extent. My question is: I have just 50g of SN and want to do the simple blood colour test to boost my confidence in a successful ctb (I'm not clever enough to do the aquarium test and calculate purity). If I were to open my vacuum sealed pack and do a test then chicken out and have months or years before I pluck up the courage to mix a drink, will the SN degrade and loss it's strength and purity? It's become really difficult in the UK to get hold of SN so I got this pack last year so I'm nervous to open it and test if it then degrades the product and I can't get a replacement. Any thoughts?
Once open the nitrite will react with the air and turn into nitrate slowly. So eventually it'll go bad after opening. If storing it keep it in a really safe dry place. Idk about longevity tho I've read from 2 months after opening all the way to a year. And for storage it's 2-3 years

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
will the SN degrade and loss it's strength and purity?
I read about this in the current edition of PPH. They said it's best to leave the bottle sealed until you use it and that way it may keep for a very long time but once you open it moisture can seep in, humidity and it will lose potency. So I don't know what the answer is if you want to test it first. I was thinking of buying an inexpensive vacuum sealer like you can buy to seal foods in a vacuum for freshness.

Reactions: AbsoluteNothingness and pthnrdnojvsc
nikkikapadia44@gmail

nikkikapadia44@gmail

Aug 30, 2020
would advise anyone who does this to determine for themselves the color by comparing it to the comment further down in the SN blood test thread that has a photo of test tubes. The darkest ones are dark chocolate brown and 70% methemoglobenemia, which is the goal. In my uninformed opinion, anything significantly lighter could lead to prolonged suffering but not necessarily death.

I always hesitate to say whether I think someone's photographed blood is dark enough because that's a huge responsibility if I am in error, yet I also understand wanting to get others' opinions for confirmation. My opinion here is that, based on the photos, I think it's dark enough, even accounting for lighting and the yellow background rather than a white one. I don't think the yellow would make the blood look significantly darker, it looks very dark.

Reactions: taylor321