P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
I took delivery of 500g SN today. Question is now to confirm if it is real and pure. Of course I have suspicions. The bottle it is in is already opened, its cap is like a standard water bottle so has a ring that you need to break the cap away from to turn it. This is already broken. But I wonder if this is just cause its a custom fill?

There is no label per se, just a small sticker saying "toner". It was from a chem company in China and they said they would label it something different to make it easier. I didnt ask them to do this but they suggested they would. Is this suspicious not having a printed label?

Is it a concern to the quality to be in a capped bottle with cap able to be opened already? Or could customs have opened it?

I will test it using Water Works nitrite/nitrate strips. These are to 10mg/L nitrite and 50mg/L nitrate. The chem co emailed me a CoA that says it should be 99%. So assume that means it should be all nitrite (i.e. have no nitrate or anything else for that matter in it?). So nitrate colour reading should be white/clear.

Will report back after testing but keen to have advice on the questions. Thanks all.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: etherealspring, heavyeyes, rosepanda and 5 others
kinderbueno

kinderbueno

Waiting at the bus stop
Jun 22, 2024
Good luck!

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and PhDone
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
The only thing you can do is testing as you already have mentioned. Good luck! It must be so relieving to have a method at hand.

Reactions: PhDone, scubadam and rosepanda
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Mislabeling is not something new so it's not suspicious but I'm not sure about the broken cap thing. Testing is the only way to be sure. Good luck.

Reactions: solvent, opheliaoveragain, PhDone and 2 others
S

scubadam

Aug 4, 2024
i believe that if the customs opened it, they would leave some kind of a note in a packaging that they did that. good luck!

P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
i believe that if the customs opened it, they would leave some kind of a note in a packaging that they did that. good luck!
That makes sense. Thanks for that.
Mislabeling is not something new so it's not suspicious but I'm not sure about the broken cap thing. Testing is the only way to be sure. Good luck.
Thank you. Yes I did wonder re the labelling.

Reactions: rozeske
P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
Waiting for delivery of scales to do an accurate test so meantime dropped a tiny amount of the salt into 1L water to see what I got. Test strips read same colour of nitrite and nitrate.

Contacted the supplier to check and they said nitrate would be present as the AR reagent. What does this mean? When I replied that there seemed to be a highish concentration of nitrate he said this could happen if exposed to air and oxidised. Could that really happen to that extent during air freight?

They seem a legit company. He even offered to send my test results to their testing team.

Thoughts?

GoatHerder

GoatHerder

Student
Jul 11, 2024
I wouldn't worry about testing it too much if you bought from a known source/brand.

P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
I wouldn't worry about testing it too much if you bought from a known source/brand.
But what about his answer re the salt having oxidised? In the SN bible post the testing example shows strong result for nitrite and weak/none for nitrate. Mine shows nitrate clear positive. I'd have thought if its 99% pure that there should be bugger all else in it.

I dont feel like hoping for the best in this circumstance 😆🤦‍♀️

GoatHerder

GoatHerder

Student
Jul 11, 2024
It's a stable substance and should last for years in a sealed container.

Are you sure what you ordered was the right stuff?

P

PhDone

Jul 29, 2024
It's a stable substance and should last for years in a sealed container.

Are you sure what you ordered was the right stuff?
Yeah I def ordered sodium nitrite, got the CoA cert too. I was thinking that maybe they shipped the wrong thing. I guess I cant be certain. But the company have been super communicative and offered to review my test results if I feel theyre not right. I cant imagine a dodgy supplier doing that?

So odd. Looks like the right thing but definitely a strong result for nitrate.