Shepherd's boy

Shepherd's boy

I will go with you
May 19, 2022
Hello, guys. I want to preserve SN to use it in the future. I am just not determined yet. I'm just thinking wether SN can be dissolved in acetone or not? If no, that the solution is just to put SN in it and theoretically it will stay here forever. Am I right? Do you know something about it?
I ve already written that I threw it away, but I bought it again just because I'm afraid of critical diseases and anything, actually, can happen.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Ethereal Knight
Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
wow. where you guys get these ideas?

anyway, SN has an "almost infinite shelf life when properly stored".

all you have to do is properly store it.

SN doesn't have problems with temperature. room temperature is fine.

the number one thing about proper storage is not breaking the cointaner's seal.

because when getting in contact with air, air brings water to SN and it slowly oxidizes, turning into nitrate (NANO3), which is not what you want.

just leave the container sealed with its original seal to avoid oxidation, and hidden in some secret place to avoid theft, and everything should (probably) be okay.

read the PPH if you haven't done that already.

Last edited:
Reactions: waitingforrest
Shepherd's boy

Shepherd's boy

I will go with you
May 19, 2022
wow. where do you guys get these ideas?

anyway, SN has an "almost infinite shelf life when properly stored".

all you have to do is properly store it.

and the number one thing about proper storage is not breaking the cointaner's seal.

because when getting in contact with air, air brings water to SN and it slowly turns into nitrate (NANO3). that's not what you want.

SN doesn't have problems with temperature. room temperature is fine.

just leave the container sealed, and everything will (probably) be okay.
There is air in my container already. I mean that it is not vacuum package. I checked, it expires in 2 years.

Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Jan 10, 2022
There is air in my container already. I mean that it is not vacuum package. I checked, it expires in 2 years.
that doesn't mean you should break the seal.

mine is just like yours.

I think SN lasts longer than the "official" expiration date. if I'm not mistaken, they put these dates on the package to have a period in which they ensure the quality of their product.

W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Try not to do that. It doesn't dissolve. Acetone is very flameable, SN is explosive. Not the best match.

• Yay!
Reactions: Shepherd's boy
Shepherd's boy

Shepherd's boy

I will go with you
May 19, 2022
that doesn't mean you should break the seal.

mine is just like yours.

I think SN lasts longer than the "official" expiration date. if I'm not mistaken, they put these dates on the package to have a period in which they ensure the quality of their product.
Maybe you are right. But I don't know when it will be needed. And I don't know if it will be available in my country in several years. So I need to ensure that it will be safe.
It doesn't dissolve.
Are you sure about it? I read that some salts are dissolvable in it, but I haven't found any information about SN.

Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Jan 10, 2022
did you read the PPeH?

honestly, I think if you did read it, you wouldn't even think about the possibility of breaking the seal, 'cause breaking it would unfortunately cause the sodium nitrite to slowly oxidize into sodium nitrate.

Shepherd's boy

Shepherd's boy

I will go with you
May 19, 2022
did you read the PPeH?

honestly, I think if you did read it, you wouldn't even thinking about breaking the seal, 'cause in this case it would unfortunately oxidize into sodium nitrate.
No, I didn't. Eventually it will turn into nitrate anyway.
did you read the PPeH?

honestly, I think if you did read it, you wouldn't even think about the possibility of breaking the seal, 'cause breaking it would unfortunately cause the sodium nitrite to slowly oxidize into sodium nitrate.
Ok. I ve performed calculations and found out that to oxidize 68 g SN you need 11 liters of oxygen. You are right. I hope so.

Last edited:
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Maybe you are right. But I don't know when it will be needed. And I don't know if it will be available in my country in several years. So I need to ensure that it will be safe.

Are you sure about it? I read that some salts are dissolvable in it, but I haven't found any information about SN.

''Reacts vigorously with oxidising agents.'' :(