Nullm

Nullm

Student
Apr 5, 2019
Does anyone else sit all day?
If so,
Do you have shoulder and back pains?
How can i prevent it, taking into account that i'm too depressed and anxious to go to the gym,
And i also cant afford a home gym equipment,

Reactions: TheSoulless and Crazy4u
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I guess home workouts, trying to throw in some standing/walking if possible. Look up specific exercises online for your particular pains, maybe.

Reactions: Nullm and summers
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
You can get a resistance band set for about $20.
Screenshot 20211225 094854
Then, like @GenesAndEnvironment said, look up some videos on YouTube for exercises and stretches to help your specific issues. Also, just standing up and walking around your house/apartment every 30 mins or so would help a lot. The worst you can do is sit in front of a computer for hours on end.

Reactions: Nullm and Fragile
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
unfortunately no. I'm restless for unknown reason. I also walk my dog twice a day and work in an office. and yes, I have back pain :(

Reactions: Nullm
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I do sit all day. I have pain in a spot in the middle of my lower back occasionally. I guess just getting up more frequently would be good. Like a few minutes every half hour, I've heard that is good. I just don't know what to do during those few minutes to not get bored. (For me it's smoking, but that's the reason I'm getting up in the first place.)

Reactions: Nullm
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
A friend of mine had a lot of discomfort from sitting for any period of time. She swapped her chair for a stability/exercise ball, and it made a lot of difference. They come in different sizes, and you can inflate them to a level of firmness that's comfortable. Also, pretty cheap.
Stability Ball Blue 65cm L

Edit: Also, some people swear by foam rollers for back or general muscle pain. I've tried them, and they never helped me, but I tend to get cramps/tightness after working not, not so much actual pain. Another cheap item worth trying.
5066f471d19c1029e2182518f72b25fb

Last edited:
Reactions: GentleJerk and Nullm
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Qigong sounds perfect for your situation. It can be done by the elderly. Even laying or sitting down if need be. Gentle, effective.
Also a plug-in electric massage cushion of some type could help for when you are sitting.

Last edited:
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Hey, do you actually have any back problems in the first place? Do you actually have painful back or shoulders? Because you're saying you want to prevent back pain, I'm not sure that you're actually already have this issue, or if you're just worried you will.
I do sit on my fat ass all day pretty much since the pandemic started. The only time I experienced back pains, that surprised me with their persistance and intensity was when I was briefly coming to the office at my new job at the very start (they let me work from home after a month of internship). I learned that the primary reason why my back hurt there is that all chairs and desks there are adjusted for comfort of an average person, and I'm basically a hobbit that is significantly shorter than average and I was way too anxious to come to the office and start re-adjusting my chair (with my luck I'd probably break it). I was also sitting in very stiff and somewhat unnatural pose and didn't take enough breaks - because of anxiety about being surrounded by people. As soon as I went home and switched back to using furniture that I adjusted for my 5 ft,. tall body, back pain went away almost entirely and only bothered me a few times when I would sit for really long stretches of time of 16 hours + without taking appropriate breaks. Getting up every hour or so for a bathroom break, to make a cup of tea, or to go grab a snack and just walking around your apartment for a bit really helps, and if you can have at least one break a day that is longer than that when you can go outside and idk, hit the nearby grocery store (I go to a coffemat that is about 500 m. away from my home), that's even better.
If you do experience back pains that are not alleviated by just taking more breaks and making sure your furniture is comfortably adjusted for your height, you might actually have some underlying condition and I strongly suggest seeing a doctor about it, because excercise is great for you and all, but with back issues you've got to be really careful about it or you'll be running a risk of making your situation worse.