NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
No problem, glad we were able to chat. Remember my PMs are always open. :)

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I certainly agree with you, but it's not just discrimination against the rights and wishes of the suicidal where this stuff applies. It's everything. The moment you admit to being depressed, then everything you say usually becomes suspect from then on and deemed as little more than a byproduct of that "skewed" mindset.

Heck, I just experienced this the other day when trying to express my opinion on a random video game I'd finished recently in a sub-reddit dedicated to discussing such things. Lo and behold, everyone took my words and my opinion as being tainted and clouded by my own sense of depression. None of my points had any merit to these people, not one bit of my perspective was taken seriously by anyone. The moment you even hint at or suggest that you suffer with depression, this immediately and almost always discredits your point of view to the large majority of people out there. At the end of the day, nobody likes a buzzkill. If people get a whiff that you might be one, then you're immediately dismissed or put in a tiny box reserved for the depressed. Or, in other words, those who apparently don't know any better about anything. I can't tell you how frustrating this is to deal with and how it kills even the simplest and most benign of topics. I can in fact tell you that it's because of this sort of thing right here, that I have no chance to ever find a place for myself either online, or in the flesh and blood world.

Of course, I'm still very lonely and there are many occasions where I desperately wish I could talk to someone about that which might interest me from time to time, but I'm always faced with the fact there's nowhere for me to go. Everywhere is the same old story, of the type I've described above. Since there's no escape from it, I guess I should just try harder to be satisfied with my own thoughts, since the alternative, or that which involves reaching out to others, will only lead to a useless waste of time for everyone involved. In the end, I just wish people weren't so quick to dismiss a depressed person for everything they say as having no merit or being the result of their troubled minds, but I guess that's asking for too much.
Exactly. Agree with you 100 per cent. Nobody wants to hear it. Everybody dismisses it. I could say in public every day for many years that I want assisted dying, and I would just be discredited and ignored.

It is so disrespectful. And to be suffering like this and be ignored and dismissed is also just a total lack of empathy and compassion.

Reactions: Imaginos