Raggas

Raggas

Suicide is self expression
Dec 31, 2018
Is it fine for a lonely person to commit suicide because of their social alienation? Should they first try to find new friends by any means necessary?

• Hugs
Reactions: Eternity04, essic., ayanonikki and 2 others
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
ey man, sorry if you're lonely, i hope you'll feel better soon and find good companions if that's why you're suffering. regarding your question, I dont think there's an universal answer. a well adapted, functioning person would probably say yeah, you should do everything in your power to make friends. as we all know, doing is more difficult than thinking, i guess people often ctb because they lack the will and strenght to fight on and hope for change - in that sense, its not about whats morally right or wrong, but whether the person can find the will to go on. i hope you break your isolation, and find good, trustworthy friends. hugs

• Love
Reactions: chumley123, ERASED, essic. and 1 other person
Xaphous

Xaphous

hikikomori
Nov 11, 2018
I don't get a chance to break isolation, I'm denied everything. I will just be attacked or threatened or belittled if I even try. I could only befriend other people that are completely destroyed mentally like myself.
Yes everyone isolated just kill themself me included

• Hugs
Reactions: ERASED, Good4Nothing, essic. and 2 others
Escaper Boy

Escaper Boy

累坏了...
Apr 11, 2019
I believe there is no "should" when it comes to ctb. Loneliness can be a huge driving force for ctb, no doubt. But still, one can choose to adapt to solitude if such option is "bearable".

Reactions: Cosmiq, Meditation guide, Arvinneedstodie and 7 others
TheNorthernSilence

TheNorthernSilence

Arcanist
Nov 13, 2018
I think it's as equally valid reason as for someone with a large social circle. I do believe it's a big contributing factor though. I also suffer from loneliness. I can relate to the alienated feeling too.

Reactions: forever21 and JustOverIt
JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
Is it fine for a lonely person to commit suicide because of their social alienation? Should they first try to find new friends by any means necessary?

Yes and yes to answer your questions. It's one of the main reasons many people CTB. They use solitary confinement to torture inmates in prison. I've been essentially a hermit since graduating highschool (although it is also because of physical health problems that derailed my life and any attempt at a future) and although I would say the isolation has helped after years of being ostracized and unable to make friends, it also fuels my depression and wanting to CTB more. It's an endless cycle of wanting to be alone and being lonely. If you have the ability to make friends then please do. Even one friend can make a difference, quality is more important than quantity. It only gets harder the longer you're isolated. I would say that this along with few future prospects are the main reasons young people today are ending their lives, it seems the only choices are being a NEET or a wageslave and neither are appealing in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xaphous and Psilo
seekingoblivion

seekingoblivion

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
It's gonna be different for each person. Really it depends on whether or not you have the capacity to keep trying. Should or shouldn't aren't words that really matter in this context. Good luck with whatever path you choose. I hope you can try and find companionship though.

Reactions: darkghost and Psilo
P

Psilo

Arcanist
Dec 29, 2018
Loneliness is the main reason I want to ctb. I have family, but it is not changing anything. I need friends and a soulmate, but that is never gonna happen.

I isolate myself from my family, I never keep contact with "friends", I don't go out to have fun or to meet someone.

I would really like to but I'm not programmed to do so, Idk there's something that keeps destroying and punishing myself.
I've been self destructing my life like forever, I ended up liking to do it until I ctb.

I know its weird, but that me, that is all me.

Reactions: Xaphous
A

Alan James

Arcanist
Apr 11, 2019
I came to the conclusion that social isolation is a consequence of genetics and some people are doomed to it from birth. Genetics is the reason - the rest is a consequence. But for some, social isolation is bliss and a gift, they enjoy it. There are sociopaths who hate society as well

Reactions: Cookiedough8956 and Xaphous
Davy

Davy

Have a great day!
Mar 24, 2019
It would be best if lonely people didn't commit suicide since it can be overcome, but I empathise and understand why someone would do it if the mental pain was too much.
On to another thought, imagine how truly lonely we would be if we didn't have the internet to allow us to connect to each other. I'm grateful this stuff exists.

Reactions: ayanonikki, Xaphous and Raggas
Mr. Hang Man

Mr. Hang Man

Just hanging around
Mar 11, 2019
I believe there is no "should" when it comes to ctb. Loneliness can be a huge driving force for ctb, no doubt. But still, one can choose to adapt to solitude if such option is "bearable".
This, there is no should to ctb, for some these circumstances aren't ctb worthy while for others it's more then enough. It all depends on the person.

S

Sirroscoe

Feb 27, 2019
I think it's the realisation of what you can get, rather than what you always hoped for. Settle for less and keep a brave face on it.

Stole a lot of that from a movie but it's fucking bang on

Reactions: Meditation guide
Quinlor

Quinlor

The stranger
Feb 21, 2019
The problem is many of us tried to find new friend and hurt emotionally badly so just ctb -_-

Reactions: Good4Nothing, Meditation guide and Broken
B

Broken

Paragon
Dec 7, 2018
Yeah lonliness is one of my main reasons. I had a near perfect life and was very sociable and for once had the oppurtunity to keep it if I had been a good person. But I'm not so I'm all alone left to hate myself

• Love
Reactions: Theodora and Psilo
Theodora

Theodora

the phantom
Jun 25, 2020
I have one person left .. if I lose them then it's over literally.. they are the only person I go out for .. so if they go I'll do it in a instant

Arvinneedstodie

Arvinneedstodie

Existing is not living
Sep 17, 2018
That's only up to you to decide for yourself.

For me, I've been dealing with complete social isolation for most of my life, and honestly, I was coping okay until my health went into a nose dive. Only then I realized that I am in a living hell all by myself, not another soul in sight. I've tried to salvage this life, but nothing has worked. The answer for me is very clear, ctb is the emergency exit button for me, and I'll hit it as soon as I can't cope anymore.

Reactions: Meditation guide and EternalDarkness
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
Considering living with Avoidant Personality Disorder makes almost every attempt at social interaction so unbearably painful but the yearning for genuine human connection is almost just as strong i'd say that it's pretty reasonable. Guess it just depends on your situation. Mine is a bit of an extreme example though.

Reactions: Arvinneedstodie, kane, Meditation guide and 1 other person
essic.

essic.

Jul 31, 2020
It could be yes or no..especially when you can't talk to someone easily or when you find yourself so hard at making friends..

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think anyone can have any reason they want for wanting to CTB as they are the only ones who are experiencing their reality for themselves (they know how much they are willing to take and what their limits are) and their reason is valid to them. As for me, I consider myself pretty lonely as in that I don't really have a lot of people I talk to IRL or friends, maybe acquaintances once in a blue moon or so. While I would not CTB solely over loneliness, it is one of my reasons but not the main one. This isn't to say that you should or shouldn't, ultimately, it is your decision.

E

eve2004

DEAD YESTERDAY
Aug 17, 2019
I currently live alone in solitary confinement due to the pandemic. I'm not close with anyone, have zero emotional attachment to anything or anyone and deliberately cut myself off virtually/digitally from people in order to do this. Perfect excuse. Quarantining alone will kill a lot of suicidal people and their families will think it's the circumstances of the pandemic and that would be "easier" to live with. I am personally going to go that route, so soon. (Though this pandemic is not ending soon....)

kane

kane

Student
Jun 26, 2020
I don't think we necessarily 'should', but it's understandable if we want to. Meaningful human connection is pretty integral to well-being. It's a question of what is getting in the way of each individual finding that, how easy it is to change, and how much loneliness you can tolerate. I think young people who aren't as 'set in their ways' should probably be encouraged to try new things to find that connection. But even then there may be things that form an impossible barrier. Really depends on the individual.