• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

DonTellMeToStayAlive

DonTellMeToStayAlive

Student
Jan 18, 2019
I am recording a video suicide note, that will be published by me before my suicide attempt (dont know if/when it will be, and thats the point. I am making this video in advance/just in case)

While I am not as active here, I am genuinely thankful for the existence of this community, and am supportive of its values.(same goes for other communities/past communities such as ash and asbs), and I would like to give them a mention in my suicide note. A positive mention, of course, while also giving recognition to its existence

But given the possibility of increased condemnation and censorship (especially in my country) of SS if its reach widens, I am skeptical of doing so. I dont want SS ti go down, and I dont want to play any part in accidently helping that happen.

So I come to ask you, the community. What do y'all think I should do ?

Some options include:-

1) thank SS and others explicitly within the suicide note

2)make a separate video on SS and leace it out of the suicide note.

3) thank more general entities like "internet communuties" or "pro choice communities"

4) just not mention anything about SS et al in my suicide note or anywhere else

Help me out guys. Thanks

teo_1990

teo_1990

Jan 1, 2022
I am recording a video suicide note, that will be published by me before my suicide attempt (dont know if/when it will be, and thats the point. I am making this video in advance/just in case)

While I am not as active here, I am genuinely thankful for the existence of this community, and am supportive of its values.(same goes for other communities/past communities such as ash and asbs), and I would like to give them a mention in my suicide note. A positive mention, of course, while also giving recognition to its existence

But given the possibility of increased condemnation and censorship (especially in my country) of SS if its reach widens, I am skeptical of doing so. I dont want SS ti go down, and I dont want to play any part in accidently helping that happen.

3) thank more general entities like "internet communuties" or "pro choice communities"

Help me out guys. Thanks
I believe that it is necessary to leave quietly and calmly, just write that life is hard and made such a decision. It is better not to talk about the forum, so as not to attract attention.

xenoz

xenoz

Dec 5, 2022
SS has been and currently is in pretty hot water, which is something that's never really going to change due to the nature of the site. It's better to not mention anything about SS at all considering the amount of media attention it's constantly under.

S

SpenceGence

May 22, 2022

Help me out guys. Thanks
Don't

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I honestly don't see the logic in thanking anyone in a suicide note. It's just going to implicate them. Surely this is obvious?!

Even if you're not thanking them for help in the act of suicide you must surely see that if their name is, say 'Suicide Sid' or killmequick Kate they're going to draw some negative attention and the act of "thanking" them could have no positive bearing at all. In fact even if their name was Jesus Christ they would take flack.

It's ludicrous!

What's frustrating is that you already appear to know this. Nothing positive can come of it.

I don't like to throw stones. I must say though, your post reads like mindlessly chewing the cud for the sake of talking with little actual thought applied. Of course, I don't know you and I have no place to judge you from. It's purely my observation, right or wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrozenMango
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
While I appreciate the sentiment and certainly do not want to make you feel bad for your gratitude, I will second what others have said..mentioning this site or any members by name is just NOT a good idea.
Thank them in private, and with this post we already know that you're thanking the site in general too.
But if you put those statements in a note or a video then it will be in the hands of people who will only use that knowledge, combined with your suicide, to further misinterpret and attack this place.
It's very unfortunate but we can predict this now, from experience.

Idk about "3", maybe if you were vaguely expressing appreciation of pro-choice conversations and the right to speak freely about the topic, that would be fine.
But I wouldn't talk about "communities" since they'll probably be able to use that to connect the dots, especially if it's in a note or anything that is left behind with those who know you ended your life.
It's not like SaSu is a dime a dozen, it's an anomaly from where I stand and it's now easier than ever to know what people are talking about when they say "pro-choice suicide community/internet space".

I'm really sorry that so much of this would be a bad idea because you clearly want to express yourself on the topic, I feel bad that the way things are now prevents such a thing from being done without consequence.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I appreciate your sentiments. You can thank people in a post though- as you have done.

I have to agree with everyone else- linking an actual suicide with this site isn't going to help. I'm thinking I may self ban, or at the least, log out and wipe browser history before I CTB. I don't want the authorities knowing (and blaming) where I got my information from. I suspect they can find out if they want to but I don't want to make it easy for them.

It would be lovely if we lived in a more accepting society. If we could make them see what a support this place is for people. They just see it as a dangerous death cult though. Attributing ACTUAL deaths to this place just adds fuel to their fire. Still- I appreciate your sentiments. I think many of us want to show our gratitude for this place. It would need to be a different world to do it publicly though. I can't see that happening- maybe ever.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
I agree that it's for the best to not mention it at all, like why risk it. This is because sadly not everyone sees the right to die as being a human right and would rather have others suffer until they die from other causes. It's just the way that things are and I hate the fact how suicide is still so stigmatised.

resolutory

resolutory

Experienced
Sep 13, 2022

Help me out guys. Thanks
It's a nice thought, but really don't. If you want to thank SS, just make a post on the forum itself and we'll see it directly. Publicly thanking SS in your note would, yet again, lead those who seek someone to blame to use SS as a scapegoat.

If your intentions in considering this are to convey your pro-choice attitude, maybe you could say something like 'I regret suicide is such a stigmatized topic' or something like that. Just convey your thoughts on the matter, but in general don't mention any sites, otherwise it'll likely be taken as though they've directly influenced your views and convinced you to do this and put the blame on them.

Again though, the thought is appreciated!

Reactions: WhiteRabbit
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I do stand by the responders on this thread here, especially given the way the public and media (shame on them) has painted our community. In our current climate when it comes to SaSu and similar spaces, it is probably best to not mention it. However, I would say that mentioning within our own forums (behind closed doors) or even through PM's (of the people you are closer to on this platform) might be more beneficial and most members on here know that you are being genuine (as they browse this forum much more frequently and are more involved within our small community here than the outside world) versus the outside world.

Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
I wouldn't. If I decide to go through with this based on info I get on here, I will delete all my browsing history first. While it would be good to spread the word for others like us, it also attracts negative attention from the pro-lifers ignorants who fight against the right to die on your terms. That's how I found this forum - on a blog that was bashing it. I would opt not to name it.