fyodorkdostoyesky

fyodorkdostoyesky

learn to suffer, or die
Sep 3, 2020
I hear a lot of people who refer to themselves as existentialists say shit like "life has no meaning so do whatever you want", "enjoy the ride", etc. But if life is painful for you AND you're aware it's pointless, why would you subject yourself to it? idk man. that algerian dude was prolly right when he said what he said about suicide and coffee

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, GoodPersonEffed and Timber
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Existentialists do not necessarily posit that life is meaningless. There stance is that life lacks a pre ordained, god-given meaning and that each of us is responsible to find his/her own meaning. So, life can be meaningful, but that meaning is not served on a silver platter. There's a fine nuance there that makes a big difference.

Personally I have not found any purpose to my existence, but I do not deny that other individuals, who are better equipped than me, enjoy meaningful lives.

The reason I "subject" myself to living, as you put it, is that suicide is an extremely difficult undertaking which requires both mental and practical preparations.

The answer to your question (as far as I'm concerned) is: Killing oneself or having a cup of coffee are not equal, even for someone who has failed to find meaning to their existence. The latter is a delight, the former is the hardest thing you can to.

Reactions: overcomingfear
fyodorkdostoyesky

fyodorkdostoyesky

learn to suffer, or die
Sep 3, 2020
The answer to your question (as far as I'm concerned) is: Killing oneself or having a cup of coffee are not equal, even for someone who has failed to find meaning to their existence. The latter is a delight, the former is the hardest thing you can to.

I guess I just don't fuck with the idea that you can inject meaning into your life. You can live a happy life, or a fulfilled life, but I don't think that equates "meaning". If life is bad and you don't like it and you're sick of coffee, might as well game end, y'know? Idk

Pretty sure I've mischaracterized/ misunderstood existentialism or I'm talking shit abt the wrong school of thought because I've basically only read nausea by sartre, and the rest of my experience with existentialism is based purely on the shitpostings of edgy internet philosophers. In my defense I was severely dehydrated when I made this post lmao

Reactions: XYZ
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Great thread title. Made me chuckle.

Reactions: XYZ