N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Today I have read an interview in a newspaper with exactly this question. It was an interview with 2 psychiatrist. One of them was very religious.
When I have read the title I expected worse. The person was not that dogmatic. Still I would not like to be a patient of her.

I try to translate/mediate a part. "Doctors should not spread messages of salvation. But they could orient themselves more on Jesus. He is also described as healer of suffering and not only as an itinerant preacher."

Later the person said she already has discussed stories from the bible with her patients.

To be honest I would be pretty annoyed as a patient. I am not religious and I am really annoyed how religious people judge on suicidal people. Now I will tell about my expierences with religion in therapy.

I had a very very compassionate and friendly therapist in clinic. She was very relgious. But her religion caused problems between us. I was acute suicidal and I asked her if she thinks whether I would go to hell if I killed myself. She agreed on that. I talked pejoratively about religions because I was angry about that. I regret that but I was mentally extremely fucked during that time. She also asked if maybe relgious faith could give me strenth. I denied that.

I have told that recently but I repeat myself now. I was raised somewhat religious and when I had my first severe depression I suffered a lot also due to my fear of hell. I had horrible nightmares because of that but when I read more about atheism this was a relief for me. Losing my faith imrpoved my mental state.
Though I know some people can find strength and communion in relgious faith and I try to respect that.

Another time a religious staff in clinic made a pejorative comment when I tried a little bit of partial during my clinic stay. I think she had the opinion people who commit suicide are crazy. (Yeah that is slightly contarian to her religion. I mean if the people who ctb are crazy why should they go to hell for that. I mean if you consider them as insane they are not responsible for their actions)

Moreover I had a very bad religious therapist. Though this had nothing to do with her religion. She was just a very incompetent therapist. But she also said things like everything has a reason and she thought that God had a plan for all of us. Though this did not prevent her of giving up on me and she also stopped the treatment due to my label as treatment resistant severely depressed person who will kill himself. She did not use these terms but I also won't elaborate on that more. I have done this too often.

When I told one therapist I was in a suicide forum in order to speak about my suicidality he asked me if I was religious. He thought maybe a religious self-help group would be a good substitute. Yeah I had to chuckle about that. (due to my hell nightmares)
This is also my current therapist. He is a good one. We talked later about it and he agreed that it is okay to be in a suicide forum. We talked openly about it and I opened up hon ow much it helps to talk about my thoughts without getting stigmatized.

I don't want to say with that thread therapy was bad. Therapy has helped me a lot. And not all of these people who I mentioned here were bad therapists. But I just wanted to emphasize that I have often made negative experiences with religion in the context of therapy. I know it can help some people. But for people like me please let the therapy be secular. I don't want to be confronted with religious stories in order to deal with my problems better.

To add one last thing. I sometimes think it is too easy for me to mock religion in this forum. I know that 95% on here agree with me on this. It feels too easy to score some points. I don't know.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Heartaches, MellowAvenue and fox_wannabe
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
No, the bible is fiction

Reactions: Green Destiny and greencondo
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
No. I would refuse to see a psych. who was religiousā€¦

• Hugs
Reactions: greencondo, waitingforrest, archipelago and 2 others
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable šŸ’” Rest in peace CommitSudoku šŸ¤
Mar 11, 2022
Nope, it's not by accident that in schools it is forbidden to incite any religion, just like at work. This therapist should be denounced. Don't get me wrong, everyone has the right to freedom of conscience and belief but you cannot incite that to others.

• Yay!
Reactions: waitingforrest, archipelago, Heartaches and 5 others
fox_wannabe

fox_wannabe

Enlightened
Jul 7, 2021
Sorry that you had to go to religious therapist. It sounds really unprofessional to bring faith into healthcare. No other doctor would, i hope, weigh their judgment with scale of personal faith. It is good that you got something out of therapy.

Imo faith in religion can be traumatizing for those who internalize It and think about It deeply. This concept is flawed and I was hurt by religion, I remember having my intrusive thoughts start, when I felt I couldn't think certain things because god was watching. (fuck jesus typy of thoughts). It also creates all sorts of mental problems and weird and wrong questions and ideas. Imo religion is stupid and It tries to indoctrinate you and then It takes a lot of time to really get over it.

• Hugs
Reactions: waitingforrest, archipelago, Heartaches and 2 others
Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
If it helps why not? People need to believe in things. Who cares about truth when we all just rot in hell anyway? The lie was that anyone would be going to heaven someday.

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

šŸ‘»
Nov 5, 2020
I don't necessarily think it's bad for a therapist to ask if the patient is open to it because they think it may help, religion has helped many people, but if the patient concretely says no that should be where it ends. The threat of hell should never be used, especially since it isn't their place to pass condemnation to begin with.

Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
Only if the therapist is dressed like a sexy nun.

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: waitingforrest, WorthlessTrash, DynamicDepression and 2 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Religion has no place in genuine recovery in my opinion. Its no different to talking about some wise aliens (star wars comes to mind). I am a star wars fan having grown up on it and much like the bible there are useful things you can take from it but that's where it should end. Being indoctrinated is a step into fantasy and out of reality. Reality being that which can be seen, felt, experienced and quantified by science not imagination and speculation.

Religion is just an early tool for control. There may be some good intentions there and some religious people are lovely. In my experience the nice ones are just naive. The others are running away from guilt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hate you and Ringo
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I suppose I'd let these licensed therapists recite any Bible verses they want.

417830ccedd66894b10219f7688de97a.jpg
8cbaae5b0317165bc2ef3179a98c5c28.jpg

Andrew Scott GIF by BBC Three

• Yay!
Reactions: archipelago, Spiritual survivor, Heartaches and 2 others
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
I would not see a therapist I knew was religious.

The therapist I saw for a bit last year after my husband died turned out to be religious, and by an even stranger coincidence, was a memore of the same religious cult that my parents tried to indoctrinate me into.

It took a while for that to come out, and I stopped seeing her shortly after that. But before that I was always annoyed by her suggestions to me that spirituality or religion could help, always asking me if I was religious (several times, even after I had already answered that I wasn't). She would say unhelpful and even offensive things. She knew I was grieving a serious loss, wasn't religious, and yet she would still say things to me about "what helps her", like her belief that we get to see our loved ones again in the afterlife, and that our dead loved ones are "never too far", or asking me if I ever tried to communicate with my dead spouse.

On the last visit she sort of let it slip what religion she was a part of, because she mentioned something to me about what her bishop told her, and it was something I heard several times growing up in my parents religious community. So I politely nodded through the rest of the session and never went back.

It only confirmed for me that I was way beyond therapy; that no therapist was going to help me talk my way out of it. I've had other therapists in the past who not-so-subtly tried to pepper in their spiritual beliefs, or pushed their toxic positivity on me, and it was always a turn off.

But to answer the op, no, I don't think they should. Even if both the therapist and patient are part of the same religion. I think therapists should help patients by finding practical solutions, and that deferring to fairy tales and their imaginary friends isn't practical. In certain people it might even encourage delusional thinking. It is even more inappropriate if the patient to has explained to the therapist that their history includes an element of Religious Trauma: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_trauma_syndrome

It's almost like the therapist ignorantly assumes the patient just had a "bad experience", disregarding the patients own lack of belief.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: DynamicDepression
G

Glowarm

F*ck everyone and everything
Apr 8, 2022
Bringing bible passages into therapy would definitely turn me away. That's not my belief system so, for me, it would not be very relavent. Trying to match how I feel inside with the beliefs of a religion that I do not follow just wouldn't mix well.
I will say that I think it could work for some people. If therapist and patient both knew that it was part of therapy then yeah, maybe. But both would need to be aware beforehand and consent to it. Otherwise it just seems like you're preaching at someone.

Reactions: archipelago
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I had a very very compassionate and friendly therapist in clinic. She was very relgious. But her religion caused problems between us. I was acute suicidal and I asked her if she thinks whether I would go to hell if I killed myself. She agreed on that.

This happened in Germany?!
penguin oh no you didnt GIF

Krieger

Krieger

yeah
Apr 16, 2022
If the person in therapy consents to it I guess. Personally I think every organized religion is bullshit.

Reactions: DynamicDepression, Heartaches and Hate you
Heartaches

Heartaches

Apologizing for my life and ever entering yours
May 6, 2021
I try to translate/mediate a part. "Doctors should not spread messages of salvation. But they could orient themselves more on Jesus. He is also described as healer of suffering and not only as an itinerant preacher."

I strongly disagree. While western civilizations have their morals and values rooted in Christianism, I do not believe we should orient even more towards it. Psychology is a scientific discipline, and as such must not be influenced by our biases, rather, be based in thoroughly researched and replicable phenomena; it doesn't rule itself by a higher power but by explainable events. Leaning towards the teachings of Jesus/Christianism has the potential to lead into prejudices and personal biases on how one should view certain events or topics; not to mention, this psychiatrist is under the assumption that every religion on Earth professes one of the three Abrahamic religions and thus, Jesus is a central figure in their faith, completely ignoring the existance of other religions with different beliefs, significant figures and mythologies.

Granted, since I don't have the full interview I could be missing some fatal context that could make part of my argument irrelevant, but from what you shared, the psychiatrist sounds like an extremely ignorant/fanatical person.

Apart from that mess, I've had similar experiences to you with one of my past therapists. Deeply catholic, never tried to convert me but would constantly use the teachings of the Bible to exemplify some of their points. Didn't mind at first but it quickly became annoying, I didn't feel I was in a therapy session but in a Bible teaching, so I no longer felt like pacient, but a student, and it weirded me out.

While they never declined to talk about any topic, there were things I just wouldn't talk about with them cause some of their prejudices/biases would show. One of their most notable was with masturbation, they'd always discourage me from doing it and would always speak negatively about it, so I unconsciously began to build shame and guilt when thinking about it. Mind you, I was in my late teens when I was goin to therapy with them and didn't have any previous trauma or personal issue with religion, but I was deeply insecure, so I took their word for granted. I eventually ditched them due to their general incompetency and unprofessionalism, but it was a pretty wild experience.

Lastly. while I dislike the idea of religious-rooted therapy, I could see how a therapy with a certain religion in mind could be helpful to some groups.

A few days ago I came across a story on reddit about how a therapist in the US had a hard time treating an inmigrant patient from a muslim country. This patient was very angry at the depictions of mislims as extremists and serial killers in the media, this anger would manifest noticeable in his eyes, which the therapist found quite unsettling. The therapist then went to reddit to ask what she should do and most of the comments, who came from other therapists as well, agreed that the best thing would be to refer the patient to another therapist who had experience with muslim patients or had a muslim background themselves.

This made me think about how certain minority groups require professionals who understand or have lived through a similar situation, so they can contextualize their therapy better. Following the muslim example, if the pacient had a therapist who was born in a majority christian country and had little to no knowledge about muslim traditions and values outside of what the media presents, then I'd lead to many misunderstandings and a bad experience for the patient- As such, having someone who understands the cultural practices and values of a muslim country or has lived in one can better evaluate and aid their patients.

So, to an extent and in specific settings, it could actually do good.

• Informative
Reactions: noname223
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

A born again but occasionally suicidal
Feb 13, 2022
It can be helpful, but I only became receptive to this information when I had suffered in my life because I did not know we needed the teachings that are laid out for us in it. I have accepted the Bible as the truth, a guide for how we are supposed to live, but this stuff can't be forced onto people, u have to seek God yourself. He gave us free will to decide if we want to lean on his guidance so we don't destroy ourselves. God only gave us this information so that we could avoid self destruction. The reason they push the Bible is because it can pull things that don't make sense in your life to become more simplified and clearer. It can be the missing piece that helps u figure out why u are hurting. Often we are hurting because we were never taught to live right. Living for the wrong things.

M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
it should be neither required nor prohibited

individuals should be able to choose their therapist. there are therapists who are explicitly religious - their clientele seek them out specifically for that understanding of the shared culture/belief system

Reactions: DynamicDepression, NSA and Heartaches
NSA

NSA

Your friendly neighborhood agent
Feb 21, 2022
. "Doctors should not spread messages of salvation. But they could orient themselves more on Jesus. He is also described as healer of suffering and not only as an itinerant preacher."
So their saying even, say, Buddhist or Jewish psychs should be "orienting to jesus"? What an idiot.

needforvoid_

needforvoid_

Apr 18, 2022
Just kill me
I mean, if the patient wants to discuss a passage, it stuck with him - sure, we used to do this with poems (was never my thing though). Taught? Fck no

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
No.
Music is a better source especially gospel but here's one that may be helpful to some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smart No More
SadJessu

SadJessu

Just tired.
Aug 17, 2020
So their saying even, say, Buddhist or Jewish psychs should be "orienting to jesus"? What an idiot.
Why not? Unlike a lot of other 'holy men' Jesus in his words and actions was actually pretty accepting and compassionate. Those are good things to emulate whether you believe in him or not. I'm not a Muslim or Buddhist, but I can recognize the inherent value in some of those teachings and strive to act in a similar way.

But to answer OP, yes and/or no, it depends. If the patient is a practicing Christian, or they're seeking pastoral council, then yes. Religion helps some people, others not. For those who aren't Christian or are in secular therapy then no, it wouldn't be appropriate.

Reactions: rationaltake
rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
As long as it's up front advertised as Christian therapy so people know what they're getting. I'd be OK with Buddhist therapy or Existentialist therapy. If I wanted therapy at all which I don't now. All therapy is based on some system or other. I had Psychodynamic psychotherapy. Wasn't for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SadJessu
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Answer is still "NO". As in "do no harm".
What is "harm"? Unjustified guilt imposed by religion.

No one should make you feel less than what you are according to some "book".
:heart:

Reactions: rationaltake