N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I just watched German news. You might know there is the soccer world championship tournament soon. There is a discussion whether it is hypocritical to take part in the tournament due to human right violations. I think too many people love soccer too much for that. They don't give a shit about morality and just want to enjoy the sport. Though at least we should be honest to admit that we are hypocritical. Some months ago our secretary for economy begged for gas in Qatar. It was kind of humiliating.

There was an outburst of outrage in the news. A Qatari official said something homophobic when he was asked about rights for gay people. And the media acted like what a huge scandal this is. I mean how stupid are you? Obviously these people don't care about minority rights. I think they just wanted to depict it as a huge story to invoke indignation. Would it really have been better when he just lied about his stance on it? Lying about their believes does not change anything for these groups in Qatar. There have to be substantial changes instead of decorum of civility. It is a huge bigotry. The channel which reported about the scandal broadcasts a lot of matches of the tournament. So why do you point the fingers at other people first. I have the feeling it is similar to white-washing. Instead of really boycotting the games they mix a little bit of moral concerns into it to feel morally superior or at least less guilty.

I would/will probably boycott it fully. On the other hand I don't like soccer not that much anymore.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
People love soccer too much to care about human rights violations etc. I'm glad to say I'm not one of them

Reactions: Hirokami