casctb

casctb

Stubborn idiot that gives up too easily
Jun 7, 2020
Honestly it is so frustrating to me at how shit I am at making friends. I'm naturally a socially awkward person coupled with social anxiety and it's always been difficult for me to find friends. Even when I do find good friends, I'm not good at keeping them. Maybe I'm just boring? I really want a friend that I can open up with and can understand me and have some fun with.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: JAG_78, ERASED, Bauhaus and 14 others
Garbage Person

Garbage Person

Eating snowflakes with plastic forks
Jan 17, 2020
Right there with you. I haven't made any new friends in the last 10 years, and I've tried. I'd try to give advice on finding them, but it would just be the same shit people always give. Just know you're not alone in that at all. I'm socially inept and fairly ugly, so that makes it all that much harder to engage. I'm in my 30's and that doesn't help either, I already feel like a dinosaur in most settings. I've given up on happiness through anything that involves more than just myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: JAG_78, ERASED, Sprite_Geist and 7 others
casctb

casctb

Jun 7, 2020
Right there with you. I haven't made any new friends in the last 10 years, and I've tried. I'd try to give advice on finding them, but it would just be the same shit people always give. Just know you're not alone in that at all. I'm socially inept and fairly ugly, so that makes it all that much harder to engage. I'm in my 30's and that doesn't help either, I already feel like a dinosaur in most settings. I've given up on happiness through anything that involves more than just myself.
I feel you. I've felt so alone all my life to the point where my hopes are very low when meeting new people. But a part of me still yearns for that connection which makes me can't help to keep trying despite previous failures. Before I die, I want to get close to just one person and maybe even go with them together. But I don't know maybe my hopes are meant to be dashed.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: JAG_78, Bauhaus, endergames and 3 others
Bct

Bct

Disqualified from Being Human
Apr 20, 2020
I'm also shit at making friends. Being betrayed twice with people I considered as best friends made me traumatized. Dunno if people are truly want to make me as a friend, especially since I can be very shitty. Even if people are welcoming me, I still have a fear if somehow they're talking about me in the back.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Sprite_Geist, Iamamistake, casctb and 2 others
casctb

casctb

Jun 7, 2020
I'm also shit at making friends. Being betrayed twice with people I considered as best friends made me traumatized. Dunno if people are truly want to make me as a friend, especially since I can be very shitty. Even if people are welcoming me, I still have a fear if somehow they're talking about me in the back.
I feel you, man. Deep seeded trust issues are a large factor in why I'm not really close to anyone, even family, due to past betrayals. Whenever I made friends throughout my life, I always felt insecure in my standing with them.

• Love
Reactions: ERASED, Iamamistake and Bct
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
I saw a wholesome Christian meme that said Jesus' true miracle was having twelve close friends in his thirties.

In my twenties I had more friends than time. Now I have two friends I barely even enjoy the company of.

It appears that I'm not in many social groups to meet many people, but even so, at my age, with my hermit life, I feel I'd have difficulty relating to people, even in my age bracket.

In psychiatric circles, where I've met most people in recent years, most people are either too whacky or too shady.

I think the phrase 'being alone is better than being in bad company' is apt, though it would be nice to meet likeminded, good people.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: JAG_78, Sprite_Geist, tryingtoescape and 3 others
casctb

casctb

Jun 7, 2020
I saw a wholesome Christian meme that said Jesus' true miracle was having twelve close friends in his thirties.

In my twenties I had more friends than time. Now I have two friends I barely even enjoy the company of.

It appears that I'm not in many social groups to meet many people, but even so, at my age, with my hermit life, I feel I'd have difficulty relating to people, even in my age bracket.

In psychiatric circles, where I've met most people in recent years, most people are either too whacky or too shady.

I think the phrase 'being alone is better than being in bad company' is apt, though it would be nice to meet likeminded, good people.
Thank you for sharing that meme with me that was very wholesome. But I can totally relate to the fact that as I get older, it's harder to find like minded people or even find the time or money to put yourself out there, especially since I hate going out as I am an introvert. Even finding people with shared interests is never a guarantee that you'll get along with them.

Reactions: endergames and SpottedPanda
Bct

Bct

Apr 20, 2020
I feel you, man. Deep seeded trust issues are a large factor in why I'm not really close to anyone, even family, due to past betrayals. Whenever I made friends throughout my life, I always felt insecure in my standing with them.

I also don't feel close to my family. Almost having a fight everyday with my mom, and that's really exhausting. I know the feeling of insecurity, especially if I said something stupid or did some mistakes. Feels like everybody is judging you silently. It may be small for most people, but when a friend that said "we're close friends" didn't even bother to mention my name when they mentioned the rest of our circle in social media, that just really hurts.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: JAG_78, Bauhaus, endergames and 2 others
casctb

casctb

Jun 7, 2020
I also don't feel close to my family. Almost having a fight everyday with my mom, and that's really exhausting. I know the feeling of insecurity, especially if I said something stupid or did some mistakes. Feels like everybody is judging you silently. It may be small for most people, but when a friend that said "we're close friends" didn't even bother to mention my name when they mentioned the rest of our circle in social media, that just really hurts.
The saddest thing about it is that sometimes I can't really blame them because I never made enough of an effort to get close to them in the first place since I would distance myself due to those insecurities.

• Hugs
Reactions: endergames and Bct
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
I'm a shit at living. Compare your situation with mine maybe you feel better.

Bct

Bct

Apr 20, 2020
The saddest thing about it is that sometimes I can't really blame them because I never made enough of an effort to get close to them in the first place since I would distance myself due to those insecurities.

It's really hard when the situation is like yours. We yearn closeness with other people, yet some part of us hold us back due to traumas.

• Love
Reactions: casctb
Iamamistake

Iamamistake

Jun 2, 2020
Is it mean that instead of feeling empathic or even sympathizing I feel damn relatable? I usually don't say so~ cuz one, it's insulting, and two, I hate to be pitied (who doesn't?).
Two, years back, I lost my friend, who-was-my-best-friend-for-ten-years and probably the first friend a introvert like me managed to make~ it was pathetic when she decided the rumours about me were amusing and decided to side up with bullies, I dreaded every day at school at that time.
This year if pandemic would not have happened I'd have been off to college in July and I was excited for it a few months ago, cuz it didn't only mean leaving all the memories of how-I-did-school-wrong but also not living with my dysfunctional family.
When bullying started I made friends with a new student and with an on-off friend, and that student later ended up betraying by hiding one of my books during an examination and when I realised we couldn't get it back as exams started, I did ask her to tear off the page with my name, but she neither did that nor owned up and let me fall with the blame. And the other friend only talked about herself and herself and never listened. I know it sounds as if I'm blaming others, but I'm no better either, instead of explaining to my friend, who only talks about herself, how toxic is our friendship, I cut her off as soon as school ended, I g that I was only with her cuz I was afraid of being perceived as a loner and wanted someone to hang with just so I can pretend I ain't friendless, but what I did was sure mean. :-\
And I g that I k I'm boring and it's so fearful that most ppl will regret being with me, I had/have (I yet can't decide what's the case) another friend, who I met through my ex-best friend, about whom I wrote in starting, we three were best friends and when bullying started I least expected her support but I was wrong, she's amazing at listening and made me feel human when rest of the world convinced me that I am a monster. But we never talked about how I was responsible for separating her from our friend, this guilt still eats at me, and I think that I'm boring, she just doesn't say hurtful things but at one point did say that I don't start on many topics. I can't think of witty things to say when conversations are going on and often think what could I have said long after those talks are done. I g I'm just boring and I don't want to be. She's one person I never wanted to lose, but once lockdown started and I got trapped with a family I hate, I wasn't picking her calls and texting vague replies, and all the while it was her trying to talk to me and me being a total idiot, she's one person I'm badly missing each day, yet in her case she's got lots of friends and I think I don't have anyone. I never shared about dysfunctional family with her cuz I was afraid that would be backstabbing my family, and hating them isn't reasonable enough to say things behind their backs. (In fact, it's the first time I ever wrote that my family is dysfunctional, I pretend it's not otherwise.)
I'm quite friendless at the moment, and I do believe that the reason is~ I don't know how to keep them. I used to have some online friends, socializing was easier online than irl~ but my parents don't feel ashamed reading my text without my permission, they seem as if they don't know whether I'm the one living my life or they're, they often forced me leave those place that I ended up installing and uninstalling to talk to them. Other times, I just left with no reason even though I loved and missed those ppl and regret it later.
If, by some miracle, I somehow make it to college, I feel afraid of trusting anyone cuz I'm terrible at being able to recognise if someone means what they say or they don't, I'm afraid of being bullied or betrayed or leaving.
Idk why in the wide world I wrote this self-centred thing here, perhaps in short what I meant is that~ I relate. Though I g that I have another friend, who's my pet rabbit and she always listens to me and licks me~ so maybe the case is~ humans suck! Yet I will for people who would "listen and understand and have fun with me" instead of judging me so I always have to pretend I'm alright and nothing's worse in this world. -_-

• Hugs
Reactions: casctb
tryingtoescape

tryingtoescape

Experienced
Dec 30, 2019
I understand this feeling. I've never really had a genuine friend group. I was at the beach today and seeing people hanging out with their friends, sitting on beach chairs in the sand, joking around, talking, going in the ocean, I felt so sad. That I won't have that before I die. I remember in the psych ward, during a group therapy session, people were bringing up loneliness and how it was hard for them to make friends and the social worker was talking about how it's actually easy to make friends as an adult and you could just "walk up to someone in Chipotle" and "say hello." These were her actual words.

It's hard to make friends as an adult. Either you want to get to know someone and at least hang out but the friendship doesn't even start out, it just fizzles, or another person wants to be friends with you but you don't feel comfortable with them. And making a friend group when you're an adult is even harder. Due to my severe agoraphobia, I couldn't make any friends in high school. At the same time, my therapist reminded me that I don't just want any friend. I want a true friend, someone who gets me. And it's hard to find someone who understands. But today at the beach, it just really hurt seeing people hanging out in friend groups and realizing I'll never experience that part of youth. And even if I could meet new friends, because of my chronic health issues, it's harder to do things that most young people like to do. It's a really sad feeling.

• Hugs
Reactions: JAG_78, Bauhaus, casctb and 2 others
W

who doesn't matter

Student
Jun 17, 2019
I never had a single person in my entire existence that I could "term" as a friend. You can't suck worse than that. If you don't mind, I am taking that trophy home.

• Hugs
Reactions: JAG_78
foreverlikethestars

foreverlikethestars

Jun 23, 2020
yeah, graduated high school never having a friend

• Hugs
Reactions: JAG_78 and casctb
O

OnlyBuilt4Linxs

Apr 16, 2020
I feel like loneliness is the common denominator between all us mentally ill and suicidal people. Yeah it is and it's definitely going to be the death of me

• Hugs
Crazy Squirrel

Crazy Squirrel

"Me hates life and me wants to die, zansu!"
Jul 26, 2020
I had maybe an acquaintance or two in my school days, but no luck at all since then and it certainly wasn't due to lack of effort on my part. I'll probably never know what's so terribly wrong with me that no one ever wants anything to do with me, so I gave up on ever having friends. A lot of times, I don't even post on the few forums I go on because I'm like "Who cares what I have to say?".

• Hugs
Reactions: JAG_78, Alonelylife, casctb and 1 other person
Alec

Alec

Wizard
Apr 22, 2019
I want the same as you. I'm 23 and I never had real friends. Currently don't have any friends at all not even fake ones. And shit at making them and starting a conversation with new people.

• Hugs
Reactions: JAG_78, casctb and MrBlue
A

andy69

Experienced
May 23, 2019
I was never good at making friends. I had people in my life who took advantage of me.

• Hugs
MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
I haven't even had casual friends for about 8 years now, and now I'm out of uni it's only going to get even more impossible. It's actually my main reason for wanting to ctb.

• Hugs
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I'm in the same boat. I have absolutely no friends. I've had friends in the past, but somehow I feel out of place with other people. I feel like I can't be my authentic self. Plus, I struggle to actually maintain friendships over time, so they always inevitably end up fading into obscurity

• Hugs
A

Alonelylife

Jun 7, 2019
So I'm 37 and never had a real friend. Dont know how to make them even after spending the last 20 years online I never made even an online friend. Not cut out for this world. My own mother doesn't like me and neither did my dog.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
J

JAG_78

Getting ready
Feb 10, 2019
[QUOTE="Iamamistake, post: 757001, member: 18592"....

Iamamistake That good friend of yours sounds really worthwhile. Stop being "a total idiot" as you put it and call her back. Explain that your head was in a bad place etc.
Whatever you do don't let go of this one good friend who has been a lifeline.
She has plenty of friends and she chooses to call & text you. You can't be quite as "boring" or worthless as you seem to think or why would she bother?.
I am unfortunately quite boring myself. I have slow processing speed - I'm very much the opposite of quick witted.
I have managed to make and hang on to a few good friends over the years. I've had to conclude that they don't find me boring even though I think I am & most other people do too.
Please Don't let this friend slip through your fingers. Do yourself a favour. Make the effort.

Does any one else on this thread think that they might have slow processing speed or even sluggish cognitive tempo.
I do have a few good friends but in danger of losing them. nevertheless generally find it hard to connect with others, find it hard to move beyond initial pleasantries. Generally lonely. Feel like I'm stalking people when trying to be sociable.
Have to make what feels like an enormous amount of effort to get more or less nowhere socially.
Almost Always face pressed up against the glass watching other people living their normal lives apparently effortlessly on the other side.
The more I've read about slow processing speed the more firmly I believe that this more than anything else is what stops me connecting.
Anyone else?.
Does any one else on this thread think that they might have slow processing speed or even sluggish cognitive tempo.
I do have a few good friends but in danger of losing them. nevertheless generally find it hard to connect with others, find it hard to move beyond initial pleasantries. Generally lonely. Feel like I'm stalking people when trying to be sociable.
Have to make what feels like an enormous amount of effort to get more or less nowhere socially.
Almost Always face pressed up against the glass watching other people living their normal lives apparently effortlessly on the other side.
The more I've read about slow processing speed the more firmly I believe that this more than anything else is what stops me connecting.
Anyone else?.

Last edited: