TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
It's such an odd word. If I didn't know it has a negative connotation, I would think it's a positive trait. Of course I'm self-centered, I'm the only person who lives my life. I will focus on myself.

• Love
Reactions: lovelesslifeless, heavyeyes, ijustwishtodie and 3 others
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Normie Life Mogs
Sep 19, 2023
On one hand, I understand. Have to take care of yourself.

On the other hand, I do think being self-centered is bad. First, society (which - like it or not - you're here you're a part of) operates on unwritten understandings that we will give each other certain courtesies and help in certain situations. Being self-centered suggests you are willing to forego these to your own benefit - and hence other's detriment. Harm unto others is bad.

Second, and maybe more importantly for people who share your view: being self-centered and separating yourself from everyone and foregoing genuine human connections is a recipe for misery. (Waits for miserable people to try and correct him).

I don't know the answer for how to fill the god-shaped hole, but I know that filling it with the self never works.

• Informative
Reactions: avoid and TheSoulless
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think there needs to be a happy medium. I've known very selfless people just get taken advantage of and used and then dropped. I think it can actually be slightly dangerous in this world to be too compliant at the risk of losing what you have. It's kind of important to be able to ascertain whether someone else is just using you too. Some people are so innocent and kind, they just end up getting massively hurt.

Weirldy, the more kind and giving, empathetic and open a person naturally is, probably the greater the need they probably ought to be taking that their generosity and trust isn't being abused. Some people are literal magnets it seems to the opposite kind of person who will suck their kindness dry.

Reactions: heavyeyes, TheSoulless and Lostandlooking
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
Reactions: lovelesslifeless, heavyeyes and TheSoulless
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Being self centered is completely fine imo as, at the end of the day, we're the only ones going through life from our own perspective. Nobody is going through your life but you. I believe that you don't owe anybody your life. Your life doesn't belong to society, your family, your country etc etc. It belongs to you only

Reactions: TheSoulless
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I know I'm self-centered and that's why I understand that the only truly selfless act I can ever bother to commit is killing myself and thus ridding the world of another selfish and cruel waste of oxygen.

• Aww..
Reactions: LifeQuitter