L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
Has anyone else here had their worldview shaped by him to some degree? When I stumbled upon his work in my university library many years ago it almost took my breath away.

Reactions: whatevs, pthnrdnojvsc and DisillusionedDragon
DisillusionedDragon

DisillusionedDragon

Pessimist/Antinatalist
Nov 25, 2020
Not directly, no. My worldview was shaped by various pessimistic/antinatalist people and my own thinking. Personally I never really resonated with Schopenhauers specific ideas and concepts very much,to be honest. Another person you're obviously familiar with, Thomas Ligotti, probably had a bigger impact
But really my brain always took in all the things I resonate with/find interesting/worth pondering etc. and I think about it and thereby slowly created my worldview. There were some "breakthrough" moments, but really the impact of any one person on my overall worldview is quite small, I'd imagine.

Reactions: lostundead
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
Not directly, no. My worldview was shaped by various pessimistic/antinatalist people and my own thinking. Personally I never really resonated with Schopenhauers specific ideas and concepts very much,to be honest. Another person you're obviously familiar with, Thomas Ligotti, probably had a bigger impact
But really my brain always took in all the things I resonate with/find interesting/worth pondering etc. and I think about it and thereby slowly created my worldview. There were some "breakthrough" moments, but really the impact of any one person on my overall worldview is quite small, I'd imagine.
I hear you. I trust you have read The Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Ligotti. What a masterpiece.

Reactions: lostundead
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I read back to back Part 4 of World as Will and Representation many times in a 3-4 year period. To this day I will use phrases and concepts from Schopie in conversations or when pondering about something. To me he was the greatest philosopher ever alive and I would like him to be cloned and forced to absorb the modern context and give us a thesis.

He wasn't perfect, however. I grew out of some of his stuff. I particularly find concerning that he commended asceticism but biographers and he himself paint something quite removed from asceticism. In my opinion, you need to practice what you preach. This is why I still try to stop jerking off, lol.

Still, his explanation for religious celibacy makes sense to me. It's borne from some type of understanding of life being something that might be best stopped and not propagated. But I don't completely know at this point what I really think. It just sort of makes sense, and people breeding certainly looks like mindless animalism.

For me his biggest accomplishment is a successful characterization of the essence of life as an inmaterial, fatalistic WILL, and the logical defense of metaphysics that he also presents successfully. Not ex nihilo, neither ad nihilum. Basically he argues perfectly in favour of essences being a thing, (or THE thing), which modern "intellectuals" obviously dispute. As long as you believe in essences you believe in metaphysics, or, as dreaded as it might be, you may even be a spiritual person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ligottian and AnestheticVoid
Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
His views on women? Absolutely inspiring. What an alpha stud.

• Yay!
Reactions: whatevs and lostundead