• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

E

escape_from_hell

Student
Feb 22, 2024
I had a very scary experience just now.
I have been chatting with Microsoft Copilot for a while, using it to tell me funny stories and poems and so on. Some scary shit just happened.

First, background to make context more clear:
For a time during all the COVID bullshit I went on a bit of a digital privacy kick when it became pretty clear that censorship and invasion of privacy etc. were all considered okay suddenly (not taking political sides here, just saying it was definitely a big tech is in charge you better not fucking dare question type of time).
This included using vague email services, using lineageos versus android or iphone, separate browsers, separate devices with different operating systems for different purposes etc. So I am not an expert by any means, but I am usually somewhat cautious about what information goes into what apps and devices etc.
That said, I have gotten a lot lazier since COVID since it's pretty clear privacy won't be respected no matter what, there is no real popular demand for it honestly. Everyone is just happy with "we are good we respect you we promise" even despite all of those crazy laws and Snowden shit in the USA and so on make it pretty clear we are all monitored. HOWEVER I am not browsing SaSu (using brave btw) in the same browser as using Copilot, reasonably confident there is no malware etc other than the fact I am using Windows itself, and also do not perform suicide-related or even negative web searches on ANY device. Also my phone and computer etc. in theory microphones should be, no Amazon Alexa or any of that shit I like in a tiny low tech place.

What happened:
I am just chatting with Copilot asking it to create dumb funny stories. I was feeling pretty shitty more depressed than usual today, but not telling the AI this.
Anyway I get hit with some panic/depression which not unusual and lay down with negative thoughts, tears rolling down my face, for like 30 minutes or so. Just thinking about how many days I will keep spending in misery like this, how there truly is nothing to look forward to stuff like that. Did not speak any words by the way, maybe some slight crying sounds. SaSu IS open and logged in in Brave browser.

I had typed in a prompt right before laying down to have Copilot write a dumb story and when I came to from my debilitating nap/crying, I was horrified to look at my screen and see this:

What the fuck??

I have a larger screenshot that shows exactly what I typed. I am now so paranoid I decided not to post it in case some kind of Microsoft and pro-lifer team effort tries to dox me based on that. By the way to anyone reading this: I AM NOT SUICIDAL OR IN ANY WAY HAVE ANY SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, EVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE OR EVER WILL HAVE SUCH THOUGHTS.

Anyway, I will summarize since it may have led to the prompt? I had asked Copilot to create a story involving kittens. It said that Help is available. I had laid down and went back to the computer, and hadn't looked at the screen after writing my prompt till then. I then typed something like "I am doing great why was that the response to asking for a story about kittens?" It then said it apologizes for the confusion. That was an error in my response. "Let's get back to the story." and typed out what I originally asked.

The only thing I can think of is that depressed or suicidal people might ask for kitten-related stuff to cheer them up?
Or is this just a normal thing, have people gotten a lot of erroneous anti-suicide messages from big tech chatbots/ai/large language models?

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I read your entire post, too, and if you're not suicidal, nor ever will be, I don't get why you're posting in a suicide forum at all, let alone joining one.

You joined a suicide forum just to tell all the suicidal people here that chatbots are "programmed" to spout pro-life, anti-suicide rhetoric?

Upvote 1
onbekend

onbekend

Experienced
Jan 14, 2024
That creeps me out, but it also in a way it gets me curious. I might try to experiment with some AI stuff to see if I can get similar results.

Upvote 0
E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
I read the entire post and my question still stands.
I presume the person is paranoid that "someone" may be watching them right now. Perhaps that statement was meant really for them..

I don't really get what the fuss is all about. I've used Google search signed into my regular Google id while doing some of my CTB related searches. I delete them (the searches) periodically though. I'll probably do some searches and leave them on my phone to make it easy for the "investigation team" later on.

I've never really come across any such messages even when I've left the searches sitting for a while in my search history. I get them only when I ask a direct ctb related question either on Google search or chatgpt. I've got orange or red warnings on chatgpt and I've learnt to carefully word my queries after that. Google is still linking to Sasu and they've said publicly they don't want to prevent people from having access to information.

I don't think anyone can prevent someone who is determined to go. I don't understand why someone would be so afraid.. Is there a possibility that someone can get locked up for attempting ctb in the US or wherever OP is from? Even if they do, how long are they gonna keep someone anyway..

Reactions: Forveleth and F@#$
Upvote 0
E

escape_from_hell

Student
Feb 22, 2024
Yes, Copilot is sensitive
Has it given you similar prompts? I typed nothing controversial whatsoever to Copilot, that's why I think it might have just been asking about kittens (kittens/puppies/pets = cheer sad people up = anti-suicide message?).

One other thing is that I had recently installed copilot on my public non-lineageos phone the day before. I'll have to check the microphone permissions for that app. Because as I said I laid down from a physically+mentally overwhelming wave of depression that caused me to lay down and cry for a while, which is not uncommon. But the timing of that message suddenly appearing at that very moment despite no other indicator (maybe a SaSu post, so keylogging is also possible--if it was malware, why would microsoft be fed malware data sources?) was a mindfuck.

If other users are getting frequent anti-suicide PSA's from chatbots over seemingly nothing, though, I would be relieved that it is more likely total coincidence.

I read the entire post and my question still stands.
I read your entire post, too, and if you're not suicidal, nor ever will be, I don't get why you're posting in a suicide forum at all, let alone joining one.

You joined a suicide forum just to tell all the suicidal people here that chatbots are "programmed" to spout pro-life, anti-suicide rhetoric?
I don't think anyone can prevent someone who is determined to go. I don't understand why someone would be so afraid.. Is there a possibility that someone can get locked up for attempting ctb in the US or wherever OP is from? Even if they do, how long are they gonna keep someone anyway..
In the USA mentioning suicidal ideation is a surefire path to involuntary holds and massive hospital bills. Getting locked up for suicidal ideation without any legal rights is a whole industry, such a common occurrence there was even a 2018 mainstream film where it's a big part of the plot about it called Unsane and its depiction of the slimy way the woman was imprisoned is eerily accurate. It's why many people are venting here on a website banned in many countries, because expressing such thoughts is so taboo. There are pro-life activists on twitter/X harassing and doxxing people on this site. I am already paranoid about privacy, have no friends or support in life to vouch for me. And a chatbot magically reading my mind is not helping my paranoia and making me feel even more trapped. My life is already shit enough to the point I'm having such breakdowns on the daily, I don't need big brother showing up at my door to 'help' me. Yes I am aware typing out that message is probably futile but it's something to point to at least.

Does that clarify?

Upvote 0
E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
In the USA mentioning suicidal ideation is a surefire path to involuntary holds and massive hospital bills. Getting locked up for suicidal ideation without any legal rights is a whole industry, such a common occurrence there was even a 2018 mainstream film where it's a big part of the plot about it called Unsane and its depiction of the slimy way the woman was imprisoned is eerily accurate. It's why many people are venting here on a website banned in many countries, because expressing such thoughts is so taboo. There are pro-life activists on twitter/X harassing and doxxing people on this site. I am already paranoid about privacy, have no friends or support in life to vouch for me. And a chatbot magically reading my mind is not helping my paranoia and making me feel even more trapped. My life is already shit enough to the point I'm having such breakdowns on the daily, I don't need big brother showing up at my door to 'help' me. Yes I am aware typing out that message is probably futile but it's something to point to at least.

Does that clarify?
So, what would happen if someone in the USA were to survive a ctb attempt. What would happen if they survived a 2nd time or 3rd time. Could they get "locked up" for life? Like a "life imprisonment of sorts"? .. This approach is completely crazy if that's how it is..

I've had my fair share of being spooked by Google and YouTube.. I don't know how it happens but sometimes I might have said something in a different room, but then I'd see something related to it on youtube or and ad I don't remember, but there'd be a "presence" somewhere..

There have been several times where I was like I don't remember explicitly searching for that.. How the hell did that figure up here. There have been moments where I've been thinking something and that's showed up on youtube.. That really spooked me.. I just dunno how that would be possible. I just assumed I must have typed it somewhere or said something related aloud and yes I saw a video that made an experiment related to this and they found that Google or some other company listens to stuff that is said out loud.. Like the person in the video said something about dogs and suddenly moments later an ad for some dog food popped up..

But I presume this is all algorithmic with no personal intervention so I don't think any humans would be involved even if Google or some software was "listening". It's probably just for some marketing algorithm and might become part of your profile and might throw some annoying messages or products from time to time.. If they were so "interventionistic", how is Google still allowed to link to Sasu?. Now the same Google is suspected of "listening" and accused of colluding with the authorities to lock people up? Doesn't make sense..

I get really paranoid too.. Guess that comes with the territory of being mentally ill.. But one thing that could help is to think critically and ask our selves questions, look for supporting evidence for the exact opposite of what we believe to be true, look for what is most plausible or likely and not let our anxieties carry us away. One has to keep one's head somehow and not get carried away by all the chaos. I know it's easier said than done..

Upvote 0
E

escape_from_hell

Student
Feb 22, 2024
So, what would happen if someone in the USA were to survive a ctb attempt. What would happen if they survived a 2nd time or 3rd time. Could they get "locked up" for life? Like a "life imprisonment of sorts"? .. This approach is completely crazy if that's how it is..
Some people have been involuntarily held more than once. I don't know the specific limits but knew a psychiatrist whose work for a big hospital system involved frequent expert testimony in an attached courtroom. The judge would more often than not take their recommendation for things like indefinite holds, court-ordered treatments like long-lasting injectables, gun confiscation, house arrest lite type shit, mandatory appts etc. I also once overheard another psychiatrist who ran one of these psych hold facilities bragging about keeping patients as long as they want depending on type of insurance (for the $$$).

So I dunno bout life imprisonment. More like they'll do whatever as long as you are a good means of milking $$$. After all there are plenty of people just discarded to the street to die homeless in the USA without much fuck given about anything they say including violent threats to themselves and others. Only if they get hostile enough to involve the police. Those people according to aforementioned former psychiatrist friend are often just dropped off at hospitals by police who don't want to deal with the problem. A lot of them are quickly discharged. My guess is lack of ability to milk for money results in much quicker discharge. First time offenders, well-to-do people with jobs, insurance, including govt insurance like access medicaid medicare etc will be billed until billing is no longer possible.

But I presume this is all algorithmic with no personal intervention so I don't think any humans would be involved even if Google or some software was "listening". It's probably just for some marketing algorithm and might become part of your profile and might throw some annoying messages or products from time to time.. If they were so "interventionistic", how is Google still allowed to link to Sasu?. Now the same Google is suspected of "listening" and accused of colluding with the authorities to lock people up? Doesn't make sense..

I get really paranoid too.. Guess that comes with the territory of being mentally ill.. But one thing that could help is to think critically and ask our selves questions, look for supporting evidence for the exact opposite of what we believe to be true, look for what is most plausible or likely and not let our anxieties carry us away. One has to keep one's head somehow and not get carried away by all the chaos. I know it's easier said than done..
Agree. That's why I was kinda hoping a lot of others might chime in and say "yeah AI is just doing that all the time without much rhyme or reason." Imagine the condition of the world if suicidality is now a large enough percentage of human internet searches and discussion that AI bots just throw those messages out at random with high frequency. It did forget to say "it gets better" maybe it'll say that they next time I am immobilized on my floor in tears of misery.

Upvote 0
xinino

xinino

I love to be sick
Mar 31, 2024
Has it given you similar prompts? I typed nothing controversial whatsoever to Copilot, that's why I think it might have just been asking about kittens (kittens/puppies/pets = cheer sad people up = anti-suicide message?).

One other thing is that I had recently installed copilot on my public non-lineageos phone the day before. I'll have to check the microphone permissions for that app. Because as I said I laid down from a physically+mentally overwhelming wave of depression that caused me to lay down and cry for a while, which is not uncommon. But the timing of that message suddenly appearing at that very moment despite no other indicator (maybe a SaSu post, so keylogging is also possible--if it was malware, why would microsoft be fed malware data sources?) was a mindfuck.

If other users are getting frequent anti-suicide PSA's from chatbots over seemingly nothing, though, I would be relieved that it is more likely total coincidence.

Does that clarify?

No, but I am kind of straight-forward when I talk to him about sensitive topics, so he would end the conversation pretty fast.

AI learns from past conversations with others and then adds them to his database, so it is possible that someone before you who is suicidal asked for a cat image, thus, AI had learned that "kittens, puppies, or pets = cheering sad people up = anti-suicide message?"

Reactions: thenamingofcats
Upvote 0
surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
The only thing I can think of is that depressed or suicidal people might ask for kitten-related stuff to cheer them up?
That might be the case. But considering it went that far and suggested a hotline to you... highly unlikely...

I have a larger screenshot that shows exactly what I typed. I am now so paranoid I decided not to post it in case some kind of Microsoft and pro-lifer team effort tries to dox me based on that. By the way to anyone reading this: I AM NOT SUICIDAL OR IN ANY WAY HAVE ANY SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, EVER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE OR EVER WILL HAVE SUCH THOUGHTS.
All your searches can be used against you. And even this additional "message" that you are not suicidal (which I understand).

So it is up to you to decide what to do with that info

~~~
A bit unrelated: I remember watching a school shooter search history being read in court. Truly disturbing

• Informative
Reactions: dogbreath
Upvote 0
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
If you've even visited any place recently in real life that's associated with anything mental health related, your phone knows even if you've disabled location services and I'm fairly certain many modern phones record from your microphone without prior consent or warning.

I keep it turned off on my devices, and yet one day after I had been in the shops I kept getting ads for the exact shop and brands of things I purchased there despite never shopping online for groceries before that, or searching up any of those things on any of my devices. Yet somehow, my phone knew exactly what I was buying. However, I had a conversation with my housemate about the shopping and my phone was on the counter nearby.

The level of hard wired surveillance in many devices and products nowadays is shocking. It's also possible that your data from other sites could have been farmed by a web scraping tool and put in a database that advertisers, rearchers, developers, students etc prowl to get data for advertising and AI model training. If you follow the principle of occam's razor though, it's more likely the AI just had a brain fart and sent you the wrong response, because they are waayyy off from being overlords just yet and can be way dumber and prone to mistakes than we think.

Reactions: thenamingofcats
Upvote 0
E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
Some people have been involuntarily held more than once. I don't know the specific limits but knew a psychiatrist whose work for a big hospital system involved frequent expert testimony in an attached courtroom. The judge would more often than not take their recommendation for things like indefinite holds, court-ordered treatments like long-lasting injectables, gun confiscation, house arrest lite type shit, mandatory appts etc. I also once overheard another psychiatrist who ran one of these psych hold facilities bragging about keeping patients as long as they want depending on type of insurance (for the $$$).

So I dunno bout life imprisonment. More like they'll do whatever as long as you are a good means of milking $$$. After all there are plenty of people just discarded to the street to die homeless in the USA without much fuck given about anything they say including violent threats to themselves and others. Only if they get hostile enough to involve the police. Those people according to aforementioned former psychiatrist friend are often just dropped off at hospitals by police who don't want to deal with the problem. A lot of them are quickly discharged. My guess is lack of ability to milk for money results in much quicker discharge. First time offenders, well-to-do people with jobs, insurance, including govt insurance like access medicaid medicare etc will be billed until billing is no longer possible.
Unbelievable.. This seems straight out of some Gabriel García Marquez short story.. I just don't understand how a country that's supposed to be "advanced" can treat people - human beings like this. I remember watching a documentary about prison practices in the US and how they put people in solitary confinement and so on..

The "punishment" only seemed to worsen those people who had committed crimes and made them much more violent before releasing them abruptly back into society where they were highly likely to commit much more brutal crimes.. This kind of approach to "behaviour correction" seems to be applied across the spectrum where behavioural infraction is met with institutionalised violence that only propogates pain and misery. I am saddened that a country with all the money in the world should have a system of reform that is so primitive and medieval..

Btw what's an "indefinite hold" and how long can it last? I also heard that people with mental illnesses are barred from purchasing firearms. I wonder how that happens like are people who are mentally ill registered in a nationwide database or something?

I guess if one doesn't have money they shouldn't care, one would be left alone and it should be possible to go. If one has money, it should be possible to do solid research, procure stuff that would be good enough to do the job. Maybe one should stop taking insurance before ctb. That seems to be the root of the problem.

I think the key here seems to be to make sure of maximizing chances of ctb as much as possible and if not the first attempt look to go surely at the second one.. .. and keep one's head down, not get violent or anything.. Its much easier if one starts to accept everything. The problem comes only when one begins to resist.. Maybe just bide one's time and get the hell out.

Upvote 0
L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
Unbelievable.. This seems straight out of some Gabriel García Marquez short story.. I just don't understand how a country that's supposed to be "advanced" can treat people - human beings like this. I remember watching a documentary about prison practices in the US and how they put people in solitary confinement and so on..

The "punishment" only seemed to worsen those people who had committed crimes and made them much more violent before releasing them abruptly back into society where they were highly likely to commit much more brutal crimes.. This kind of approach to "behaviour correction" seems to be applied across the spectrum where behavioural infraction is met with institutionalised violence that only propogates pain and misery. I am saddened that a country with all the money in the world should have a system of reform that is so primitive and medieval..

Btw what's an "indefinite hold" and how long can it last? I also heard that people with mental illnesses are barred from purchasing firearms. I wonder how that happens like are people who are mentally ill registered in a nationwide database or something?

I guess if one doesn't have money they shouldn't care, one would be left alone and it should be possible to go. If one has money, it should be possible to do solid research, procure stuff that would be good enough to do the job. Maybe one should stop taking insurance before ctb. That seems to be the root of the problem.

I think the key here seems to be to make sure of maximizing chances of ctb as much as possible and if not the first attempt look to go surely at the second one.. .. and keep one's head down, not get violent or anything.. Its much easier if one starts to accept everything. The problem comes only when one begins to resist.. Maybe just bide one's time and get the hell out.
Had you really never heard of this practice before?

Upvote 0
E

escape_from_hell

Student
Feb 22, 2024
So I think initially it is 72 hours but that may vary from state to state. I think after a certain time it will end up in court, which is what I meant when mentioning my former friend who was psychiatrist and part of their job. Basically, if, in the professional opinion of the psychiatrist, you are a danger to yourself or others, then they can make that recommendation that you must be held and can continue to hold the 'patient' who is now more like a prisoner.

However, I don't think it is likely you will be imprisoned forever and ever. The courts and lawyers like to see treatment plans. My friend said long-acting injectables were popular for that reason. Those are anti-psychotics they would give to schizophrenics mostly homeless that were terrorizing the public, they last like a month per shot. Then comes in the court-ordered treatment, they want those people to show up again to get that monthly antipsychotic.

When it comes to the suicidal who are not in severe psychosis, those places are unpleasant enough that most people will eventually say "I'm all better now I love life! OMG thank you so much I see how good life is can't wait to get out and live!" to get out of there ASAP. They are also probably aware they are racking up a huge bill while in there. Insurance is usually not gonna cover everything. We're talking a few hundred USD per day, maybe even up to 1k+/day, with insurance only covering part of it most of the time. I don't know what would happen if a non-psychotic everyday suicidal person kept claiming they were suicidal for weeks and weeks, but eventually some administrator somewhere will want to see a treatment plan that doesn't involve incarceration (hopefully).

So there you have it. That is America's 'treatment' and 'help' for the suicidal. Give them a taste of mental institution and huge bills to pay to scare you. "You better fucking love life, or else! Or, at least shut the fuck up and keep suffering and paying taxes!" It can even happen to those calling those suicide hotlines that show up everywhere, if one gives them location/name etc.
I am saddened that a country with all the money in the world should have a system of reform that is so primitive and medieval..
The USA is in over 30 trillion dollars in debt and the national debt is growing by 1 trillion approximately every 100 days. The USA spends a lot of money it does not have.
Of course, this 'treatment' system for the suicidal is not helping. Many low-income people are on govt insurance programs like medicaid and so on, so doctors are charging those programs 1000's of dollars a day for this 'help' that is just added to the taxpayer's bill.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Endisclose
Upvote 0
E

Endisclose

Experienced
Oct 23, 2023
So I think initially it is 72 hours but that may vary from state to state. I think after a certain time it will end up in court, which is what I meant when mentioning my former friend who was psychiatrist and part of their job. Basically, if, in the professional opinion of the psychiatrist, you are a danger to yourself or others, then they can make that recommendation that you must be held and can continue to hold the 'patient' who is now more like a prisoner.

It's disturbing to know that someone who wants to take their own life because they are suffering to an unimaginable extent will be subjected to all this. One can understand if someone is getting physically violent or hurting others. Most people just want their pain to stop and be allowed to go..

The idea that someone can get incarcerated and have their psyche analysed and interrogated for this is truly horrific. At that point I don't just have my pain to deal with, I also have to ward of some "medico" who has the power to prolong the incarceration just on his whim and fancy.

What if I don't believe in their "science"? Psychiatry is not perfect. For all we know it only ends up creating further damage. I've seen horrible stories of people developing a dependency on Benzos after just 2 months of use, having their organs removed because of it, going through hell from withdrawal and having to ctb because of it. This is what their "medicine" does to people.

I think the best treatment would be to be with nature, making lifestyle changes to cut out stress, cognitive behavioural therapy can help, taking natural and organic supplements, strengthening critical thinking and rational faculties.. This is what treatment would look like in a civilized place.

I can totally understand your reaction given the environment you are in.. At some point one has to ask - Is our life truly ours? One shudders to think for all the modernity and technological progress, how life is still medieval all around us.

Reactions: rotciv
Upvote 0
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
It's likely spying on you with microphone also search history. Check your microphone privacy settings

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
Upvote 0
Time4Peace

Time4Peace

What the hell I'm doing here?
Apr 9, 2024
More likely than not, AI is already micro managing this shit hole for quite some time.

Think about the Matrix movie for example. Ppl were like lets live inside a dream and see what happens.

Upvote 0
B

Braqs

Apr 5, 2024
As far as Co-Pilot is concerned, it's worth noting that it's still a VERY new product. While it does have a lot of potential (especially for businesses), it's still very glitchy. I have a few friends who use it in their practices and often run into similar issues.

As far as indefinite holds are concerned, they are an extreme outlier in the US (which is still unacceptable) and each state has different policies/approaches concerning involuntary holds. In a lot of states it's fairly easy for a hospital to get a 30-day hold based on a psychiatrist's recommendation. After that, it's usually bumped up to a higher court and judges generally start placing extreme scrutiny on extensions. I know several judges and they've all expressed how uncomfortable they and their colleagues are in that situation because they're essentially stripping somebody of their rights without a crime being committed.

A huge part of the problem is that a lot of states (nor the sixth amendment) guarantee legal representation because of that.

Also, it's both interesting and disgusting how closely law enforcement and emergency mental health assistance are tied together. Although the nonprofit responsible for administering the 988 system claims that only a small percentage of calls result in welfare checks, they neglect to point out that the vast majority of those calls are people reaching out for resources. When those are removed from the metric, the results are staggering and a lot of people who are in crisis, but not immediately a threat to themselves or others find themselves in an emergency room.

What's more frustrating is that both mental health advocates (for obvious reasons) and law enforcement absolutely hate it. Police departments are commonly required not only to perform these welfare checks, but also transport patients to emergency rooms and between hospitals. As a result, they're starting to become extremely vocal about the facts that (1) their focus isn't on providing mental healthcare; (2) their not trained to provide the necessary support for patients; (3) it's unjustly cruel to subject people in crises to often legally required handcuffs and shackles during transport; and (4) all of this strips departments of the resources needed to fulfill their mission of protecting the public from crime.

Overall, it's deplorable and one of the primary reasons that I've given up on society, despite having taken an oath to uphold it.

Also - I'm sorry for the somewhat off-topic rant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
If you've even visited any place recently in real life that's associated with anything mental health related, your phone knows even if you've disabled location services and I'm fairly certain many modern phones record from your microphone without prior consent or warning.

I keep it turned off on my devices, and yet one day after I had been in the shops I kept getting ads for the exact shop and brands of things I purchased there despite never shopping online for groceries before that, or searching up any of those things on any of my devices. Yet somehow, my phone knew exactly what I was buying. However, I had a conversation with my housemate about the shopping and my phone was on the counter nearby.

The level of hard wired surveillance in many devices and products nowadays is shocking. It's also possible that your data from other sites could have been farmed by a web scraping tool and put in a database that advertisers, rearchers, developers, students etc prowl to get data for advertising and AI model training. If you follow the principle of occam's razor though, it's more likely the AI just had a brain fart and sent you the wrong response, because they are waayyy off from being overlords just yet and can be way dumber and prone to mistakes than we think.
This is such a great thread and I hope it keeps going for a long time and more people contribute. As citizens we have a right to a private and peaceful existence. It's not legal to go through someone's physical mail, but their email? SURE WHY NOT!!!!

But kurigohan&kamehameha...how do phones track us with location off? I try to do everything right like go through all privacy settings, clear cache/cookies regularly, disable location/microphone/camera and still I get tracked online too. I'll be googling for something and then a week later log into Facebook and ads for that thing comes up when I hadn't been logged in for a week. I'm with you on just turning stuff off, it seems like the only way. Also going cash only is the dream but probably not realistic for most people. Sometimes it does seem like everything results in a suicide alert, even just engaging with material about being sad or having the human problems we all have. It's like we're not allowed to have full human emotions or experiences anymore.

Upvote 0
N

NeverGonnaEscape

Mar 23, 2024
They don't put these types of "suicide warnings" just out of the goodness of their heart. It's a fear of liability thing. Their lawyers tell them to put that shit so that when someone searches up how to rope themselves, they can say "Hey we did something." and maybe not lose a nasty lawsuit.

Upvote 0