Justcheckingout

Justcheckingout

Jul 27, 2020
This is going to be a sad post about the passing of a pet so if you find that upsetting or trigger ing please do not read this.

I do not have a place to vent or any people to talk to so I wanted to say a few words here.

My cockatiel really was my little buddy. For 13 years he was my companion, he could talk and every morning he'd greet me with a 'whatre you doing? C'mere!' he hadn't been feeling well recently and after a visit to the vet I was warned that he was very old for a cockatiel. He had athritis in one of his legs and the vet estimated his age at at least 17 years. He gave him some medicine for his diarhea and told me he didn't have long left. I took him home and he briefly got better. As soon as his diarhea went away we had a fun play session every night and I installed a little space heater in the room where his cage was just to make sure he never got chilled. We sang opera together. He loved to sing opera with me lol his fave was madam butterfly his singing was terrible but he loved to try :)

After about a week he started to get sick again. He wasnt sick with any particular thing but you could tell he didn't feel really good. I called the vet but was basically told there wasn't much more they could do. The next few days he got clearly weaker.

I held him as he passed. I was gratefull I could hold his little body as he went, he didn't struggle just breathed slower until he breathed his last. I held him for a long while after he was gone. I sang him some bad opera even though I knew he couldn't here it.

It devastated me. I didn't even cry when it happened because it didn't seem real. He was with me for so long that him being gone was just unreal to me.

I buried him in my backyard and mourned him in silence. It's strange how people don't view a birds death with the same sadness as a cat or a dog, my co workers seemed baffled that I would be sad that a common pet store bird was gone. Even now months later I get up and ask him how he's doing before I remember that he's no longer there.

I'm sorry if this post was a downer but it feels good to share my sadness somewhere. Im crying while typeing this but it feels good to finally let it out.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Cold, Dead Meat, in hell out soon and 11 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I have a sun conure. Im a bird lover too. I'm so sorry for your loss. They are such wonderful little buddies. It's lovely you made him feel so loved, and that he got to pass being hugged. Sending you many hugs.

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni and SweetSurrender
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
He lived and died in peace with you. As for some cat-shit-eater that doesn't respect your grief, tell them not to eat so much cat shit. It is not good for an already retarded, defective brain.

Reactions: finish.me and MiserableBastard1995
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'm sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a pet whose friendship we value. he was lucky to have such a caring owner.

D

Darkpheonix

Nov 1, 2020
Us bird people are different - others dont understand it. I had my Cockatiel for 21 years. I was devastated, I still miss him now. He would shriek at 9pm every day to let me know it was bedtime. He always knew it was 9pm. I feel your pain and understand. I'm very sorry for your loss.

S

sadstargazer231

So, so weary…
Jun 29, 2021
Oh, Justcheckingout, I am truly sorry for the loss of your beloved friend. No matter what any one thinks or says, our love for our pets it deep, lasting and changes us forever. You showed your opera-singing buddy what love means. Thanks for sharing. Know that we are thinking of you and holding you close in our hearts.❤️❤️❤️

• Love
Reactions: Dead Meat