S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I hadn't heard of Adalia Rose Williams before I came across this article (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/othe...order-has-died-at-15/ar-AASKKSY?ocid=msedgntp). She had progeria, diagnosed at 3 moths old, and just died at 15 years old. This poor girl never had one normal year in her life.

As heartless as I am, this story brought me to tears. I won't be here, but I hope that at some point in the future, gene editing is used to make sure no one has to go through this or deal with any other genetic disorder.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Heartaches, little helpers, GentleJerk and 1 other person
Depressed Cat

Depressed Cat

Mage
Jan 4, 2022
Life is bad enough for those who are physically normal. I just cannot imagine what the poor girl must have gone through during her very short life. :aw:

I don't know if modern medicine can find a cure to such rare genetic conditions now or in the near future. That's why the option of euthanasia/assisted suicide (entirely voluntary, of course) should be available to those suffering from debilitating conditions.

Reactions: Heartaches and summers
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Life is very cruel and unfair, some people are disadvantaged right from the start through no fault of their own. It is sad to see how much some people suffer, but at least now she is at peace.

Reactions: Depressed Cat, Heartaches and summers
Heartaches

Heartaches

Apologizing for my life and ever entering yours
May 6, 2021
I was just thinking about her a while ago. I never followed her but I was glad to see her family doing everything in their power to make her feel loved and respected, trying to give her a normal life despite her condition; must have been hard fighting with it almost since birth. I hope her presence raised awareness about her condition and helped others that struggle with it as well.

May she rest in peace.​

Life is bad enough for those who are physically normal. I just cannot imagine what the poor girl must have gone through during her very short life. :aw:

I don't know if modern medicine can find a cure to such rare genetic conditions now or in the near future. That's why the option of euthanasia/assisted suicide (entirely voluntary, of course) should be available to those suffering from debilitating conditions.

I remember seeing a video-report about a 5 year-old girl who was born with neuromuscular disease and at age 4 they asked her if she preferred going to the hospital or if she wished to die as her condition was incurable and going to the hospital would only prolong her life. She chose death, fully aware of the consequences. It was very touching, I believe as well that people with debilitating conditions should have the option of assisted suicide and be supported till their last moments, as it is their right and their choice.​

Reactions: Depressed Cat
Insomniac

Insomniac

š¯”„ š¯”² š¯”± š¯”¦ š¯”° š¯”Ŗ
May 21, 2021
Idk why this reminded me of the butterfly boy.

I generally find it cruel to let babies with severe genetic diseases live. I'm 100% against it and nothing can justify that to me.

I feel sorry for her and for what she had to endure.

Reactions: Depressed Cat