• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Sanctioned Suicide

Sanctioned Suicide

-
Mar 17, 2018
This is a clarification in a rule that hasn't been updated in a while, but I believe that it needed to be updated.

This rule has always been pretty vague and hasn't really meant much, but I believe that providing this clarification will help our moderators and members to understand what we're trying to accomplish here.

The rule that has been changed is below (changes are in red):

Be respectful of others, and their opinions.
  • Disrespect will not be tolerated on this forum. Try to have constructive conversations without resorting to name-calling or insults.

The reasoning behind this rule change is that we want our members to have difficult conversations, such as with politics or religion, in a respectful manner without having to resort to name-calling or insults.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, please post them below or DM me directly.

Thank you!

callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
No such thing as a civilized political discussion anymore. I've seen relationships in my family crumble over differences in political opinions. Some people are too emotionally attached to their beliefs and ideologies.
Too bad, too bad. I have only cheekily looked at the family gathering of fast-talking, where Obama is a must, but this is horrible.

Projects like Brexit showed how far can politics divide and it's ugly.

Reactions: Flippy and Misfit72
Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
You probably knew it, but politics is so strongly entangled with anything today.
"The private life is dead?"

Perhaps I am a naive fool, but in the Zhivago vs. Strelnikov debate, I fall firmly on the side of Zhivago. Though I suppose "Just live" is a political statement of sorts if you widen the definition far enough.

Reactions: BumperCrop
callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
"The private life is dead?"

Perhaps I am a naive fool, but in the Zhivago vs. Strelnikov debate, I fall firmly on the side of Zhivago. Though I suppose "Just live" is a political statement of sorts if you widen the definition far enough.

My, I never knew a western War movie can be so brilliant. I hate myself for not knowing it until now.
What happened to such movies? Compare to the trite, banal overimaginative garbage today, it's everywhere.

Zhivago is supposed to be a tragic hero? His determined position just makes for so little in the way of explanation. It was brilliant to summarize it with this phrase, because it easily overcomes the limits of censorship, what is forbidden, of convention and norms. Of course, the underlying issue here is security and control, but still.

It's helpful to summarize in your context that living and everything concerning it can be stretched in meaning to be political. Not inherently though, it looks like in this scene it was a pretext for a personal standoff more than political action. Strelnikov here merely used a little negotiation, but the argument took a turn for personal encounter, where he had to make an emotional realisation that his own loved one was quite in the same poistion as Zhivago would be and it made him realise nobody is safe (hence why at least to me, he was angry Zhivago had to remind him about his wife being stranded in the occupied city by shell bombardments).

I feel that even as little individuality could be the answer to all the collectivist nightmare of the last century. It embodies just a natural human experience, one of being. Our nature dictates that we are inevitably owned by impulses of emotion and reason, which lands to ideas forming politics and political movements.

Thus politics can be made to mean or include anything, righfully so since it concerns us as humans, but artificially so. This scene perfectly embodies it. Zhivago couldn't have had it any other way, although Strelnikov could have.

M

Misfit72

-
Aug 25, 2020
Projects like Brexit showed how far can politics divide and it's ugly.

Indeed, and if people want to have arguments over that, they can go elsewhere. I wouldn't say I've lost friends or family over Brexit, which I was more neutral over, rather that it's illustrated how little I had in common with them to begin with and have drifted away from them. However, I was considering suicide six years ago, and had I known then what things would be like now, I would have done it.

The morning of the referendum I was looking at pictures of the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland with a view to going there and never coming back.

Reactions: callme
callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
Indeed, and if people want to have arguments over that, they can go elsewhere. I wouldn't say I've lost friends or family over Brexit, which I was more neutral over, rather that it's illustrated how little I had in common with them to begin with and have drifted away from them. However, I was considering suicide six years ago, and had I known then what things would be like now, I would have done it.

The morning of the referendum I was looking at pictures of the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland with a view to going there and never coming back.
I am sorry that had to be the case. The marathon this charade is feels like a hundred years pain in the behind. I can relate issues at once so small making the divide and showing the true face of things, that you don't belong tp your family and even country. My best reasn for doing it is the fact I can't escape.

I'm from Bulgaria so it's understandable I hate my country and culture. Brexit ruined my last real chance of working and living in the UK too and I like the culture, sense of humor, the common sense. What'wrong with rain? Grass smells so nice and full of life after raining.

Do you still consider Moher an option? I know you were expressing emotion using an analogy, but I took it to be an eligible method. Painful I know, but Ireland is not that far away if still living in the UK. Plus I bet they don't have Beachy Head's level of monitoring by chaplains (or stewards?). Maybe just the national suicide hotline printed somewhere, like at dutch train stations and road junctions.

M

Misfit72

-
Aug 25, 2020
I am sorry that had to be the case. The marathon this charade is feels like a hundred years pain in the behind. I can relate issues at once so small making the divide and showing the true face of things, that you don't belong tp your family and even country. My best reasn for doing it is the fact I can't escape.

I'm from Bulgaria so it's understandable I hate my country and culture. Brexit ruined my last real chance of working and living in the UK too and I like the culture, sense of humor, the common sense. What'wrong with rain? Grass smells so nice and full of life after raining.

Do you still consider Moher an option? I know you were expressing emotion using an analogy, but I took it to be an eligible method. Painful I know, but Ireland is not that far away if still living in the UK. Plus I bet they don't have Beachy Head's level of monitoring by chaplains (or stewards?). Maybe just the national suicide hotline printed somewhere, like at dutch train stations and road junctions.

Well, as an EU citizen, you still have Ireland as an option as an English-speaking country where you can live and work - in fact, as a British citizen I still do, though I digress. I thought about Ireland because seeing as I wasn't born in the UK, I didn't see why I should die there either. However, the lockdown has screwed up any travel plans and also the supply of antimalarial pills, which I was planning on overdosing on but are all out of stock.

People go on and on about 'SN' and 'N' on this forum, but they're too much of a hassle to get hold of. Carbon monoxide in a tent, similar to Callie Lewis, seems to be the best option - there are campsites open in winter.

callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
Well, as an EU citizen, you still have Ireland as an option as an English-speaking country where you can live and work - in fact, as a British citizen I still do, though I digress. I thought about Ireland because seeing as I wasn't born in the UK, I didn't see why I should die there either. However, the lockdown has screwed up any travel plans and also the supply of antimalarial pills, which I was planning on overdosing on but are all out of stock.

People go on and on about 'SN' and 'N' on this forum, but they're too much of a hassle to get hold of. Carbon monoxide in a tent, similar to Callie Lewis, seems to be the best option - there are campsites open in winter.
Yes but being a poor one, I can never have enough money for relocating. The irish living standart is the highest, and ours is the lowest. And I'm a manual trade worker in a job with no future,, without an education, experience, connections, skills and money.

Were you accustomed to the UK for the time being and of necessity? How do you keep strong feelings for your country of birth, in case you have been away for years?

Perhaps it would be unnecessary now upon mention. All classes of OTC pain supressing and similar pills nowadays aren't nearly as strong as they once were. Anti-malaria pills fall in this category I think.

I agree on this count. As if they weren't a hassle, just wait until you have to get Bitcoin.

Hmm, yes that is reasonable. A lower chance of success with CO than is usually thought, but it doesn't hurt. Even in the UK/Irish winter, one could still try as many times if they fail.
Cold could even be an excuse for when a police officer comes along to lecture you and be explained I've put the barbecue inside to warm up the tent or something. Reasonably, a police officer may easily not know of the danger or may not have such a broad common sense on the subject, seeing it as he's not a firefighter. Won't be suspicious if there's the usually recommended bucket of water below the grill, In case a fire breaks out.

M

Misfit72

-
Aug 25, 2020
Were you accustomed to the UK for the time being and of necessity? How do you keep strong feelings for your country of birth, in case you have been away for years?
I don't have any feelings for it at all, it's just the place where my mother gave birth to me, nothing else, so I'm not going to bother naming it. I'm not a citizen of it, I don't have the right to be a citizen of it because of it's nationality laws and I haven't been back there since I was one year old.

Cold could even be an excuse for when a police officer comes along to lecture you and be explained I've put the barbecue inside to warm up the tent or something. Reasonably, a police officer may easily not know of the danger or may not have such a broad common sense on the subject, seeing it as he's not a firefighter. Won't be suspicious if there's the usually recommended bucket of water below the grill, In case a fire breaks out.

Interesting thought, but I don't think a police officer would be on a campsite in the first place, unless my behaviour aroused suspicion?

callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
I don't think a police officer would be on a campsite in the first place, unless my behaviour aroused suspicion?
Yes they definitely don't go to those places. I meant they may come on a routine check or somethung.

I was thinking if they see a lone camper at a roadside camp for example. Sure if it's one of the forest bivouacs, only the "ranger" (don't know what's it called, forest chaplain haha) could be a problem, but I doubt they are anywhere in sight most times.
You know, police like to be where they easily have control and there's no need for them at all.

By the way, since I have considered the same for Denmark, isn't it suspicious you have your own grill when the bivouacs already have big ones installed? Plus, it's intended for groups of people to gather, so if they see you bringing I doubt they'll care, but still, what to do? They may suspect.

It sucks without a car, but as a foreigner what is there to do, steal one? A badly-looking, heavily sweating fat eastern foreigner with a very heavy backpack with a tent and a damn grill inside, walking alone without a car to a campside in backwater Ireland. Just one thought comes to mind - busted.

I think you'd have no problem because you will be more naturally-looking as a native.

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Thanks for this post @Marquis. The lack of empathy I've seen was a growing concern for me.

callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
Thanks for this post @Marquis. The lack of empathy I've seen was a growing concern for me.
Disclaimer: not attacking you.

Why does behavior have to be empathy necessarily? As somebody said before, we don't have to be friends necessarily. I am asking, because I noted you have a strong reaction, not asking why, but isn't empathy biased? Respect is neutral and I think, more fitting here.

M

Misfit72

-
Aug 25, 2020
It sucks without a car, but as a foreigner what is there to do, steal one? A badly-looking, heavily sweating fat eastern foreigner with a very heavy backpack with a tent and a damn grill inside, walking alone without a car to a campside in backwater Ireland. Just one thought comes to mind - busted.

I think you'd have no problem because you will be more naturally-looking as a native.
I don't think I'd fare much better as an overweight middle-aged Englishman taking a camping holiday in late November, as that would look a bit odd. Callie Lewis, who was on this forum as @Zanexx went camping in the summer, when it would look less so, though she didn't have a car either.

callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
I don't think I'd fare much better as an overweight middle-aged Englishman taking a camping holiday in late November, as that would look a bit odd. Callie Lewis, who was on this forum as @Zanexx went camping in the summer, when it would look less so, though she didn't have a car either.
Hmm.l probably lived close enough. Phew, a backbreaker ain't it? Carrying all stuff. And being too stuoid to set up a tent.

The bivouacs worry me. They already have grills at deisgnated areas, public ones at that. Rough camping is illegal almost anywhere decent, including Ireland.

M

Misfit72

-
Aug 25, 2020
The bivouacs worry me. They already have grills at deisgnated areas, public ones at that. Rough camping is illegal almost anywhere decent, including Ireland.
I'm not looking at Ireland anymore, it'll probably be somewhere near where I live in England, one place has fire pits rather than grills.

callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
I'm not looking at Ireland anymore, it'll probably be somewhere near where I live in England, one place has fire pits rather than grills.
Home is where the hatred is?
Ooh fire pits, you could go like the Isdal woman.. painful as hell, but she took a lot of phenobarb before dying...

M

Misfit72

-
Aug 25, 2020
Home is where the hatred is?
Ooh fire pits, you could go like the Isdal woman.. painful as hell, but she took a lot of phenobarb before dying...
Naah, I'll have my disposable barbecues. Interesting to learn about the Isdal woman, what a story....

N

Naufrago

Somos o que pensamos...
Sep 24, 2021
Who is here in the SS is because it is already suffering from sadness, prejudice, disaffection, racism, misunderstanding and isolated from the world and apathy. Respect is at least the least we owe to the like.

callme

callme

Aug 15, 2021
Naah, I'll have my disposable barbecues. Interesting to learn about the Isdal woman, what a story....
Feck the biggest stupid mystery of the english girl missing. Media crap. The Isdal woman is the biggest one, totally unsolvable. Do you have a guide on disposable barbecue, and is hibachi useful? Can it be bought anywhere in Europe?