Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
Yeah, what's up with that? @atari made a post calling @A Hole out and it looks like it's gone. Smells kinda fishy to me, anyone know what's going on? Did it get resolved or is someone covering their tracks?

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, whatevs, fox_wannabe and 3 others
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
Yeah, what's up with that? @atari made a post calling @A Hole out and it looks like it's gone. Smells kinda fishy to me, anyone know what's going on? Did it get resolved or is someone covering their tracks?
I put a watch on that thread to see how it played out. Even if it was resolved, shouldn't it have been left up with that info added to it, then thread closed? Unless, of course, he was lying. It was part of his complaint that the mod was removing such evidence in the first place.

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´ and Oblivion Access
I

indigomoon

Student
Mar 6, 2022
I thought this website was supposed to be about expressing yourself freely? If threads and posts are removed, that seems like censorship to me.

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, cyanol, houseofleaves and 4 others
Oblivion Access

Oblivion Access

I don't know anything
Jul 5, 2019
I put a watch on that thread to see how it played out. Even if it was resolved, shouldn't it have been left up with that info added to it, then thread closed? Unless, of course, he was lying. It was part of his complaint that the mod was removing such evidence in the first place.
That's what I'm thinking! The thread vanishing like that just makes it look like atari was right. Of course, there might be an alternate explanation, but it's starting to look exceedingly unlikely and more like a blatant power trip. But I could be wrong, I'm not all knowing. Time will tell.

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´ and whatevs
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
That's what I'm thinking! The thread vanishing like that just makes it look like atari was right. Of course, there might be an alternate explanation, but it's starting to look exceedingly unlikely and more like a blatant power trip. But I could be wrong, I'm not all knowing. Time will tell.
Same here -- act fast mods!

Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
I thought this website was supposed to be about expressing yourself freely? If threads and posts are removed, that seems like censorship to me.
Nah, that isn't true. Theres always someone complaining about how someone else expresses themselves around here.

Reactions: cyanol, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, whatevs and 2 others
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
Nah, that isn't true. Theres always someone complaining about how someone else expresses themselves around here.
Freedom of expression doesn't make anyone immune to criticism.

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, Wolfjob_dayjob, houseofleaves and 5 others
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
In fact, criticism is part of the bigger picture of free speech by definition. Just ask a country that doesn't have it.

Reactions: Smart No More, symphony and WhiteRabbit
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
Yeah we can go around and around with the old arguments, you know what I'm saying, and its not "freedom of expression should mean immunity to criticism."

DeutscheKartoffel

DeutscheKartoffel

Reclaiming my human rights & liberty thru suicide.
Dec 12, 2021
I smell fish and censorship.

Reactions: fox_wannabe
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Damn right, people are always reporting my posts for a start.

• Hugs
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, waitingforrest and BrokenBliss
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Its been resolved with both parties. Moving on now.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Sort of off topic again... But I think people fall into a trap on this forum, thinking it's a freedom of speach (across the board) forum. I see it written all the time. It isn't! It's a suicide centric freedom of speech forum. Not a free for all. Obviously some off topic goes on an I'm not apposed to it at all. It does present an issue though. When you have a pokemon thread in the same room as multiple 'how to kill yourself' threads it does create a certain counter productive situation when it comes to having to defend the forums existence and offset the views thrown at us by the fixers etc. It's hard to argue that we're not somewhat scew wiff in our MO and even harder to argue on the responsibility we do or don't display. (Particularly in relation to age and agency). As such I think we'd do well to stop assuming that anything goes round here. Whilst we're very liberal and open minded I don't think it's fair too assume no lines can be crossed and a little tact and common sense would go a long way. Similarly, reporting people should be done with some trepedation and reserved for times where it really matters rather than 'wen sum1 has hurted ur feewings' . You can only cry wolf so many times before fatigue sets in and moderators and moderation becomes such a bore that things get messy.

When I saw the thread go missing I did wonder but my assumption was that Atari had probably deleted it after some private chat with mods. I don't know what went on and do think some transparency when matters like that crop up is healthy. I dare say the fire was fueled on both sides as there often it. Moderation needs to bw impartial and I think it's too easily forgotten on forums because moderators are not always moderated themselves so a vacuum of power can form. Not saying its happened here. It's quite the candidate for it though given the nature of the place. Too easy a trap to fall into. So yeah, an amount of transparency would be healthy I reckon.

FWIW I don't consider myself anyone around here and don't really expect anyone to take me seriously. Just saying what I see.

Meh, sometimes I talk too much!

Last edited:
Reactions: whatevs and BrokenBliss
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
Just my two cents but I'd rather have seen this publicly announced (perhaps in the original thread then locking it) by the two of you than deleting the thread altogether. The way the thread just disappeared looked a lot like suppression of dissent and criticism by those in power.

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, ImsooDone1N, myopybyproxy and 4 others
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
A Hole said:
Just my two cents but I'd rather have seen this publicly announced (perhaps in the original thread then locking it) by the two of you than deleting the thread altogether. The way the thread just disappeared looked a lot like suppression of dissent and criticism by those in power.
Especially since the above mod is the one that was being complained about. The Sherri threads weren't completely removed; why was this one? @atari presented his case with restraint in the deleted thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, cyanol, Smart No More and 1 other person
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Can't speak for how restrained Atari was really but definitely agree that another admin should be the one to moderate the situation. That should be standard practice in these situations. Otherwise who mods the mods?!

Atari did make his case but didn't provide the transcript he referred to but said he had. Not sure how long they were but I think that would have been the best way to present his case as nobody had any info to go on other than his accusation which may or may not be valid. Without the relative info we just can't say. I can't stand on one side or the other at this point.

Something that I posted in that thread is that I don't think mods should be able to change their names either. At least have an active name history on their profiles. It's important for them to be a consistent presence and changing names means that their previous actions are more easily disconnected from them in members eyes. Not saying they're running around doing wrong. It goes both ways, good or bad. They just need to be consistent and recognisable. And of course accountable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´, whatevs, symphony and 1 other person
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
True, but they often actively call for censorship, they don´t just disagree or attack you.
Sort of off topic again... But I think people fall into a trap on this forum, thinking it's a freedom of speach (across the board) forum. I see it written all the time. It isn't! It's a suicide centric freedom of speech forum. Not a free for all. Obviously some off topic goes on an I'm not apposed to it at all. It does present an issue though. When you have a pokemon thread in the same room as multiple 'how to kill yourself' threads it does create a certain counter productive situation when it comes to having to defend the forums existence and offset the views thrown at us by the fixers etc. It's hard to argue that we're not somewhat scew wiff in our MO and even harder to argue on the responsibility we do or don't display. (Particularly in relation to age and agency). As such I think we'd do well to stop assuming that anything goes round here. Whilst we're very liberal and open minded I don't think it's fair too assume no lines can be crossed and a little tact and common sense would go a long way. Similarly, reporting people should be done with some trepedation and reserved for times where it really matters rather than 'wen sum1 has hurted ur feewings' . You can only cry wolf so many times before fatigue sets in and moderators and moderation becomes such a bore that things get messy.

When I saw the thread go missing I did wonder but my assumption was that Atari had probably deleted it after some private chat with mods. I don't know what went on and do think some transparency when matters like that crop up is healthy. I dare say the fire was fueled on both sides as there often it. Moderation needs to bw impartial and I think it's too easily forgotten on forums because moderators are not always moderated themselves so a vacuum of power can form. Not saying its happened here. It's quite the candidate for it though given the nature of the place. Too easy a trap to fall into. So yeah, an amount of transparency would be healthy I reckon.

FWIW I don't consider myself anyone around here and don't really expect anyone to take me seriously. Just saying what I see.

Meh, sometimes I talk too much

Here´s the thing though, there is more freedom of speech than in other places of the Internet, but as everywhere there is power there will be selective bias in those that yield it. For example, try to explain concisely why you personally against trying to change your sex and see what happens.

Just gotta be mindful of that. but it´s a nice place to hangout for the severely depressed, suicidal and what have you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fragile
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
Atari did make his case but didn't provide the transcript he referred to but said he had.
When did he even have a chance? That thread disappeared pretty quickly. As has Atari. The void is never conducive to truth.

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
When did he even have a chance? That thread disappeared pretty quickly. As has Atari. The void is never conducive to truth.
I'm not trying to justify the thread disappearing. Truth is we currently don't know who deleted it.

My point there (where you quoted me) is just that he didn't give us anything to work with so would have been wise to post the transcript he spoke of in his first post or at least added it directly after. That way we could have offered informed input rather than hypotheticals. Atari is still around. I checked as soon as the thread disappeared.

BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
I'm not trying to justify the thread disappearing. Truth is we currently don't know who deleted it.

My point there (where you quoted me) is just that he didn't give us anything to work with so would have been wise to post the transcript he spoke of in his first post or at least added it directly after. That way we could have offered informed input rather than hypotheticals.
I understand, and wasn't criticizing. My impression of his post at the time was that he was trying to start the conversation, to voice his complaint in the forums, which is what the chat mod told him to do. There were so few posts on that thread before it was yanked. I've witnessed a lot of Atari's behavior in chat and it truly sounded like he was trying to be heard without crossing the line or being too obnoxious about it, which exhibition of his screen shots would have been. I imagine he wanted to (or maybe already did) show them to the higher-ups.
Atari is still around. I checked as soon as the thread disappeared.
He stopped posting at the same time as the thread was removed. And here is where "the void" I mentioned is so dangerous. Like so many entries on here, it's just speculation as to where he is. So I will keep my thoughts to myself and hope we hear from him again soon.

• Love
Reactions: waitingforrest
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I didn't mean to suggest you should keep your thoughts to yourself. Hope that's not what you think.

I didn't witness Atari in chat myself so for me I have little to go on. It's certainly not justifyable for a mod to 'cancel' someone. Mods need to be impartial and I think it's unfortunate but necessary that a mod is really not so much of a participant in the forum as more active members. I think when you take a mod position in a place like this you need to kind of say goodbye to your status as a member so to speak. It's troubling that some may be prone to do so it exchange for a rod of power rather than as an impartial voice of reason and/or consideration.

I don't want to speak ill of atari as I've only really interacted with them briefly. I have to be honest and say, with respect, ai detected some erratic and perhapa young approaches to things. It's all too easy to just (both correctly and incorrectly) from behind a screen so I usually keep it to myself and see how things go. Or just steer clear in some cases. Some are more or less open to interpretation than others. We're on a forum that both attracts and breeds crazy for want of a more appropriate word. It's to be expected and as such to be tolerated due to the nature of the territory. Its bound to leech into the modersting team. Especially once initial founders move on. I've seen it on other forums. It can happen fast and drastically so I get where you're coming from. I do just think it's a bit dangerous to speculate too much before all info is presented. The mods are fully within their rites to say its none of our business too though. We kind of have to respect that and choose our battles (if any need fighting) . Respect to you for standing up for what you believe if you think this is such a time.

Reactions: BrokenBliss
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
I didn't mean to suggest you should keep your thoughts to yourself. Hope that's not what you think.
I do just think it's a bit dangerous to speculate too much before all info is presented.
I didn't think it. Actually, I was referring to myself. Same as with the void observation. It's human nature to try and fill in the blanks, so I know my thoughts may have nothing to do with the facts in this matter, yet my mind is creating a probable storyline. That's the void - the absence of information. Which brings me to:
The mods are fully within their rites to say its none of our business too though.
I have been waiting for one of them to put us in our place on this matter since this thread started and am fairly amazed that they've just let us speculate and analyze onward!
We kind of have to respect that and choose our battles (if any need fighting) . Respect to you for standing up for what you believe if you think this is such a time.
I guess I do, to a degree. I don't want to write a screed on the whole affair, but it was so abrupt and there was nothing offensive in @atari's comments that warranted removal of the entire thread. I see much worse directed at the mods by other members on a daily basis and they remain standing. The way this incident has played out leaves a bad taste for me.
Mods need to be impartial and I think it's unfortunate but necessary that a mod is really not so much of a participant in the forum as more active members. I think when you take a mod position in a place like this you need to kind of say goodbye to your status as a member so to speak.
Kathryn Janeway said memorably, "I'm your Captain. That means I can't always be your friend."
We're on a forum that both attracts and breeds crazy for want of a more appropriate word.
How can I improve on that. lol. Loved your comments - thanks!

Reactions: Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I think Atari will probably be along eventually. They may have reached an agreement between them to keep it of the boards though. That would be amicable/mutually beneficial. So we may never know. I guess you could chat with atari via DM to ease the void a little. There's just so many ways it could have gone. I don't see anything stop atari posting for too long though.

When we get timed out does it show up to other members. I remember when chinaski got banned briefly his name just got crossed out but that wasn't officially a time out. I haven't witnessed any timeouts or bans in real time though. Only after the fact. I'm just thinking atari may be on a self imposed time out. Like I say, I doubt they be quiet for long. They post a fair bit.

Reactions: BrokenBliss
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
I think Atari will probably be along eventually. They may have reached an agreement between them to keep it of the boards though. That would be amicable/mutually beneficial. So we may never know. I guess you could chat with atari via DM to ease the void a little. There's just so many ways it could have gone. I don't see anything stop atari posting for too long though.

When we get timed out does it show up to other members. I remember when chinaski got banned briefly his name just got crossed out but that wasn't officially a time out. I haven't witnessed any timeouts or bans in real time though. Only after the fact. I'm just thinking atari may be on a self imposed time out. Like I say, I doubt they be quiet for long. They post a fair bit.
I have similar thoughts to yours as to what's up, but like I said, I'm telling myself to not post them, cuz really, who knows? Certainly not us. I admit I did look to see if he'd been around, which I already mentioned, as well as for the telltale line thru his name (which there is none). I feel fairly certain we'll see him again soon. He's kind of a staple to the place after all.

Reactions: Toxic Positivity and Smart No More
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
He stopped posting at the same time as the thread was removed. And here is where "the void" I mentioned is so dangerous. Like so many entries on here, it's just speculation as to where he is. So I will keep my thoughts to myself and hope we hear from him again soon.
He stopped posting, and it is not possible to DM him when you look at his profile.

P.S. I have no idea what this is even about, but I think this is what it would look like if a member was "disappeared."

• Aww..
Reactions: waitingforrest and BrokenBliss
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Atari was on a chat timeout so it might make sense for those options to open a new chat or conversation with them. It does look odd but I don't think mods would do that to "disappear" them wben they could just outright ban them. Not sure if a full timeout is a thing or not. Maybe it is?

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
What is a chat timeout? Is it a thing that removes the buttons to start a chat or conversation?