TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
From my previous thread talking about how suicide prevention is evil and pro-suffering, I've came up with some ideas on how to actually be effective in real suicide prevention. Please hear me out before posting. So with all the suicide preventionists, if they really wanted to alleviate suffering and really prevent suicide, then they should revamp their approach on how they interact with and treat suicidal people. In the current state of suicide prevention, it is ineffective in the long run and only exacerbates the real problems (I guess they never wondered why the suicide rates continue to rise or maybe they did but continue to be oblivious to the real reasons and causes behind it...). With that said, here are several things as a start that would "actually" help the suicidal.

1) Do away with involuntary commitment and treatment, including threatening the use of force to get the patient to open up (I mean who would open up if they knew that the "help" that they are receiving includes, but isn't limited to being detained their their will, humiliated, freedom, liberty, and rights taken away without due process of law, and then being billed on top of the shitty treatment/services rendered to them against their consent. Oh and let's not forget that there is now a record on that person's background which will follow them professionally and throughout their lives, be it to ever own a firearm, or get professional license or other area in life). The exception to this is if the patient is actively threatening to harm other people (in which case, it would become a legal/criminal matter as well).

2) Instead of pushing therapy, counseling, and psychiatry as a go to solution for all problems, instead, society should be more willing to listen to the circumstances that lead the person to be "suicidal" rather than seeing suicide as a mental illness or irrational decision (not all suicidal people are mentally ill, depressed, or irrational). Most of the time, life sucks and shitty things happen (sometimes simultaneously or consecutively) and leads people to become 'suicidal'.

3) Similar to the 2nd point, stop viewing suicide and death as some net negative, but suicide as a response to a problem and that death is the polar opposite of life. Also, that life is not always a virtue. When other solutions have been exhausted and there are no other solutions left and the person has suffered long enough, it would only be merciful to consider that death is a release from suffering. Sure, people will be sad, but no one should live just for the sake of avoiding hurting others' feelings. People should live if only if they truly want to live, not because they are obligated by society.

4) Finding ways to curb the root causes of suicide, whether it be financial, employment, housing, or other reasons. I'd like to use the example that Japan (at least in the last few years) has started to take measures to solve the overworking problem, which is one major factor in young adults and middle aged adults dying by overwork and suicide. If only people started to target the root causes for suicide rather than preventing suicide alone (without solving the underlying causes), it would go so much further than just a simply virtue signal or just preventing suicide for the sake of feeling like a hero.

5) Having an open, rational discussion (no censorship and pro-life biases) about death and suicide. Do not antagonize the people who are suicidal and allow them to talk freely without judgment or threaten them with legal, civil, extra-judicial action for simply speaking openly about their "true" views on suicide and death. Suicidal people are often alone and trying to get them to open up while threatening them with punishment and consequences aren't going to help at all.

There are many other things, but I think this is a good start to revamping the way suicide prevention works.

• Love
Reactions: BabyYoda, EmotionlessWanderer, Jc40 and 13 others
Amber1974

Amber1974

Student
Dec 9, 2018
This is excellent.

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Void115 and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Thanks @Amber1974 . Also, just recently found a good thread on reddit that shared similar, if not the same sentiments as I've written in this topic. That guy had really good points and one of the replies is also well written.

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
From my previous thread talking about how suicide prevention is evil and pro-suffering, I've came up with some ideas on how to actually be effective in real suicide prevention. Please hear me out before posting. So with all the suicide preventionists, if they really wanted to alleviate suffering and really prevent suicide, then they should revamp their approach on how they interact with and treat suicidal people. In the current state of suicide prevention, it is ineffective in the long run and only exacerbates the real problems (I guess they never wondered why the suicide rates continue to rise or maybe they did but continue to be oblivious to the real reasons and causes behind it...). With that said, here are several things as a start that would "actually" help the suicidal.

1) Do away with involuntary commitment and treatment, including threatening the use of force to get the patient to open up (I mean who would open up if they knew that the "help" that they are receiving includes, but isn't limited to being detained their their will, humiliated, freedom, liberty, and rights taken away without due process of law, and then being billed on top of the shitty treatment/services rendered to them against their consent. Oh and let's not forget that there is now a record on that person's background which will follow them professionally and throughout their lives, be it to ever own a firearm, or get professional license or other area in life). The exception to this is if the patient is actively threatening to harm other people (in which case, it would become a legal/criminal matter as well).

2) Instead of pushing therapy, counseling, and psychiatry as a go to solution for all problems, instead, society should be more willing to listen to the circumstances that lead the person to be "suicidal" rather than seeing suicide as a mental illness or irrational decision (not all suicidal people are mentally ill, depressed, or irrational). Most of the time, life sucks and shitty things happen (sometimes simultaneously or consecutively) and leads people to become 'suicidal'.

3) Similar to the 2nd point, stop viewing suicide and death as some net negative, but suicide as a response to a problem and that death is the polar opposite of life. Also, that life is not always a virtue. When other solutions have been exhausted and there are no other solutions left and the person has suffered long enough, it would only be merciful to consider that death is a release from suffering. Sure, people will be sad, but no one should live just for the sake of avoiding hurting others' feelings. People should live if only if they truly want to live, not because they are obligated by society.

4) Finding ways to curb the root causes of suicide, whether it be financial, employment, housing, or other reasons. I'd like to use the example that Japan (at least in the last few years) has started to take measures to solve the overworking problem, which is one major factor in young adults and middle aged adults dying by overwork and suicide. If only people started to target the root causes for suicide rather than preventing suicide alone (without solving the underlying causes), it would go so much further than just a simply virtue signal or just preventing suicide for the sake of feeling like a hero.

5) Having an open, rational discussion (no censorship and pro-life biases) about death and suicide. Do not antagonize the people who are suicidal and allow them to talk freely without judgment or threaten them with legal, civil, extra-judicial action for simply speaking openly about their "true" views on suicide and death. Suicidal people are often alone and trying to get them to open up while threatening them with punishment and consequences aren't going to help at all.

There are many other things, but I think this is a good start to revamping the way suicide prevention works.
I approve this message.

That might actually work.

Reactions: TAW122