• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Would it be desirable to have a 'Retire Account' option?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Don't know

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Just an idea. I like the idea of being able to 'Retire' an account rather than self ban. I know that users can come back from a self ban, it still seems final though.
I think one of the odd dichotomies of this place is that even though activity may be used as a sort of therapy, it can also become an addictive crutch at the same time.
Self banning may be a step to far in removing that crutch for those trying to recover. Retiring an account would leave that door open at any time for a return if needed, whilst also removing the temptation to just log in an engage again.
NB. This is placed in recovery as it is aimed squarely at those wishing to recover and ultimately get back into RL and leave this place on a positive note. Also, no idea if this would even be possible within the site's capabilities.

Opinions welcome.

waterstrider

waterstrider

cold
Nov 29, 2020
Off topic and just for my own understanding: If we leave/ctb we ban our accounts and our names get crossed out, right?
Is there also an option to delete our accounts or is not possible?
I don't know what to do yet if I am about to ctb.
Thank you.

KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
This would basically work as a self-exclusion for a certain period of time.
This would help those who aim to recover without this site.
Adding a new mechanism to the site seems like a pain but I guess if the votes are high, mods will think about it.

Reactions: Silvermorning
Ironweed

Ironweed

Nauseated.
Nov 9, 2019
I honestly don't see the need for it. If somebody wanted to all they'd have to do is change their custom title to "Retired," or "Hiatus starting 12/01/2020," or whatever.

User Icon >> Your Account >> Account Details >> Custom title >> "Type whatever you want."

And then update your Status by leaving a brief note.

If there's a way to shut off Private Messages except from Mods and Admins I dunno what it is, never having sent or received one on SS. But I've seen that feature on other sites. That would also be a step you could take.

Then take off, for as long or as short a time as you want.

D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
I voted no. My previous account needed to be locked. At the time I self banned from it, i had a family member trying to spy on me. I think it was better to ban than leave it open in any way to malice/abuse.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

🚫Safety is a figment of the imagination🚫
Jul 1, 2020
I voted no. My previous account needed to be locked. At the time I self banned from it, i had a family member trying to spy on me. I think it was better to ban than leave it open in any way to malice/abuse.
Doesn't the site have 2 step protection?? You could use that in general or at least while you're gone

D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
Doesn't the site have 2 step protection?? You could use that in general or at least while you're gone
I was thinking specifically about keyloggers, also some of us "older" folks aren't that savvy. Myself, i can't keep up with it. =/

• Hugs
Reactions: Silvermorning
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I honestly don't see the need for it. If somebody wanted to all they'd have to do is change their custom title to "Retired," or "Hiatus starting 12/01/2020," or whatever.

User Icon >> Your Account >> Account Details >> Custom title >> "Type whatever you want."

And then update your Status by leaving a brief note.

If there's a way to shut off Private Messages except from Mods and Admins I dunno what it is, never having sent or received one on SS. But I've seen that feature on other sites. That would also be a step you could take.

Then take off, for as long or as short a time as you want.
I've observed that people can sometimes develop an addiction to posting. I'd see 'retiring' as an option to try and remove the temptation to log in, without going cold turkey and having zero option. Not all of us have iron clad will power to just walk away from something that is a strong habit, without some kind of self imposed restriction.

Yes, 2FA would make it a pain to just log in without firing up a secondary device. Good idea. Also help to secure the account.

That would be a work around: avatar marked as 'retired' as suggested then setup 2FA also. LOL then hide the spare device.

TW She/Her
Aug 9, 2020
I've observed that people can sometimes develop an addiction to posting. I'd see 'retiring' as an option to try and remove the temptation to log in, without going cold turkey and having zero option. Not all of us have iron clad will power to just walk away from something that is a strong habit, without some kind of self imposed restriction.

Yes, 2FA would make it a pain to just log in without firing up a secondary device. Good idea. Also help to secure the account.

That would be a work around: avatar marked as 'retired' as suggested then setup 2FA also. LOL then hide the spare device.

I agree with that. I myself would have wanted that option when I got banned cauz people thought I was dead. A lot of people self ban and struggle to come back. And using a status "Retired" is not psychologically effective, I agree it's pretty much the same but this functionnality would really help people to commit to stay out from SS for a while.

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I'm of the middle class generation that will never retire. So once I'm tired of swimming against the current I'll stop swimming.
Just an idea. I like the idea of being able to 'Retire' an account rather than self ban. I know that users can come back from a self ban, it still seems final though.
I think one of the odd dichotomies of this place is that even though activity may be used as a sort of therapy, it can also become an addictive crutch at the same time.
Self banning may be a step to far in removing that crutch for those trying to recover. Retiring an account would leave that door open at any time for a return if needed, whilst also removing the temptation to just log in an engage again.
NB. This is placed in recovery as it is aimed squarely at those wishing to recover and ultimately get back into RL and leave this place on a positive note. Also, no idea if this would even be possible within the site's capabilities.

Opinions welcome.
I actually kinda like a "pause" mode idea if you will. But given the nature of this site I think the current system is best suited.

If anything, maybe add one more self ban chance. So that you can self ban twice and come back one final third time. But if you self ban a 3rd time it's final. "Three strikes" type deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: AutoTap
A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
I think people who we know ctb should have a special effect to their name or something. Lots of time people get banned and people mistake them for ctbing