AJ95

AJ95

24/7 sylvia plath
Sep 3, 2020
I'd say I've had pretty chronic depression for the last decade or so, and it's gotten to the point where I've decided that it's not going to get better, so I'm planning to CTB before the end of the year.

But I'm wondering if anyone has thought about just living for pleasure rather than anything else. Like just saying "fuck it" and indulging in whatever you want; drugs, alcohol, casual sex, excessive spending, that sort of thing.

I'm just curious about it I guess, like do you guys think it would have any impact on my depression?

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: StateOfMind, Chupacabra 44, Amumu and 5 others
RottenDeer

RottenDeer

Rotten to the core.
Feb 29, 2020
Depends. I think an healthy amount of hedonism can't be bad. If you suffered from depression for a long time, it's more than understandable to go this way. But I also think it can turn into extremely unhealthy coping way too quickly.

Reactions: Pineapplecrown, WinterFaust, Deleted member 4993 and 2 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
If you were definitely set on ctb there would be no harm in it as you probably havent experienced enough pleasure over the years because of depression. It makes sense to want to experience some before you leave and completely fair.
I believe that pleasure is regulated by the dopamine (reward,motivation, pleasure) systems in the brain.
Im of the opinion that (myself included) a faulty or damaged dopamine system can cause anhedonia.
For example a healthy minded person could go to tbe pub, have one alcoholic drink, then go home. I couldnt because i believe that my dopamine levels are that low, that one hit would get me started and id need 10 drinks. Hope that makes sense.
Anyway digressing. What i believe would happen if you followed tnis idea.
Either you would have a few wild months and ctb.
Or you would become an addict and not ctb because the craving to recreate pleasure would be so strong, you would want to stay alive.

Reactions: Cold, Coolchicka, StateOfMind and 4 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
In my personal experience, excessive indulgence in anything leads to cause for excessive regret.

Reactions: Isisnefert, Coolchicka, Pineapplecrown and 3 others
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
I think I was like that from teens through mid-20s. Eventually, I wanted to try to do better, but I also got bored with it all. I think it's created a distraction for me. Even now that I'm over the ""try to do better" part that I got into I find I just don't have the interest in a lot of it. Also I feel like that was the only part of my life that was filled with some sort of luck yet I still wouldn't describe it as happiness. It all just came very easy to me.

Reactions: Isisnefert, Pineapplecrown and Deleted member 4993
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I do this but my definition of hedonism is rather tame. I basically just spend my day doing nothing except lying around while on my phone or watching something. Sometimes I get more depressed especially when I'm doing this to put something off.

Reactions: HenryHobkins, Isisnefert and Deleted member 4993
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I believe ultimately no matter what we do, we are living for pleasure. Everybody wants that sweet dose of dopamine, and the only thing that differs is what exactly you're doing to get it - some need to set a goal like losing weight or getting a promotion, so they can tell themselves they became better once they achieve it and receive their dopamine dose, some need sex, drugs and rock and roll, some just like petting animals and playing video games, some get their dopamine by volunteering in a homeless shelter and then feeling like a good person, and some feel a need to bash their neighbor in the head with a baseball bat to get their dose. But the end goal is the same for everyone, we do things because we want to feel good and we don't want to feel bad, or when feeling good is not an option, we pick whatever makes us feel less bad.

Ultimately, everything in life is utterly meaningless, unless you attach a meaning to it yourself. So I'd say saying "fuck it" to everything is a rather rational response. As long as your actions don't hurt others directly (and I mean directly as in "deliberately inflicting physical or mental pain on others", not just doing a thing or expressing an opinion that might upset someone, we live in a chronically offended society and it's near impossible to never do the latter), you can do whatever the hell you want with your life. Yes, some actions that are enjoyable at the moment might have negative consequences, but that's not a matter of hedonism vs. some other philosophy, it's just a matter of being able to think ahead, and how far ahead are you willing to look is also up to you.

Depression is a tricky thing. If we are to trust the modern medicine, it's when dopamine in your brain fails to be produced when you do everything you need to get it, you do things you should enjoy, but you don't enjoy them. Sometimes it just takes a greater effort for you to get that dopamine, and I don't see why not trying doing something you usually "don't allow" yourself to do to achieve it, if you feel like you will enjoy trying that. Honestly, I can't really comment on what helps depression, because I know the official medical opinion on that and I can't argue with it because I am not a doctor, yet none of the things that are supposed to help with depression according to modern medicine did anything to my own depression, so I am super skeptical about what helps it and what doesn't.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cold, Isitmytime, Coolchicka and 8 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I'd say I've had pretty chronic depression for the last decade or so, and it's gotten to the point where I've decided that it's not going to get better, so I'm planning to CTB before the end of the year.

But I'm wondering if anyone has thought about just living for pleasure rather than anything else. Like just saying "fuck it" and indulging in whatever you want; drugs, alcohol, casual sex, excessive spending, that sort of thing.

I'm just curious about it I guess, like do you guys think it would have any impact on my depression?
I've had the "fuck it" attitude for a while now. I'm going to squeeze whatever bit of happiness I can out of this life before I finally CTB. Its been rather liberating so far and hardly anything bothers me anymore.

I made a thread on it a while back and I'm still having success so I've just kept rolling with it.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/wreckless-abandon-as-a-form-of-recovery.27243/

• Hugs
Reactions: Chupacabra 44, Pineapplecrown, AvaAdore and 1 other person
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
Unless you keep up with your responsibilities and find a way to afford your desires, it may work for some. For me, the "fuck it" mentality didn't increase nor decrease my suicide wishes, even though I did not manage to just do whatever I felt like doing, focusing as much as I could only in pleasure proved itself pointless to me.

• Love
Reactions: Pineapplecrown
D

Deleted member 8975

But I'm wondering if anyone has thought about just living for pleasure rather than anything else. Like just saying "fuck it" and indulging in whatever you want; casual sex

This is the only thing I've seriously considered doing and have come close several times but bailed out. I'm not really comfortable with hooking up with strangers and i don't know anyone physically near me. I wish.

Lmd

Lmd

Elementalist
Jul 12, 2020
I tried but sooner or later the depression hits again so whatever

Reactions: Pineapplecrown
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Drugs and alcohol worsen depression; excessive sex ruins the pleasure; excessive spending can become a baneful addiction.
Nonetheless, if you consider it would enable you to stay alive, go for it.
It isn't a long-term solution. But hedonism isn't really that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isisnefert, Isitmytime, Chupacabra 44 and 1 other person
S

Sk1n1M1n

Experienced
Jan 29, 2020
Go for t why not so long as it doesn't interfere with relationships 0 jobs etc

StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
Or you would become an addict and not ctb because the craving to recreate pleasure would be so strong, you would want to stay alive.
I think I'm addicted to pizza.. I have cravings again and I have to force myself to delay otherwise I would just be ordering every day.

• Love
Reactions: Isisnefert, GrumpyFrog, Coolchicka and 1 other person
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I think I'm addicted to pizza.. I have cravings again and I have to force myself to delay otherwise I would just be ordering every day.
Thats a pretty good addiction !

Reactions: Isisnefert
I

Isitmytime

Jan 26, 2021
I guess it depends. What does "everything else" mean as opposed to pleasure for each person?
It would not work for me. Not that I can't find any joy, it's just I can't get what could bring me joy. And everything else (like work, for instance) seems meaningless, therefore not enjoyable to me. On the other hand, everything else would suddenly have meaning if I could do it to support that one thing that brings back the joy. But then again, I have a lot of history to deal with. I know what I want/need in order to pull myself back, I just can't compromise any more if I can't get it, I did it for too long and I feel exhausted. It took very long to figure out what I need, bc I was conditioned to have no needs or feel guilty for them.
One could argue that all life is meaningless. It might very well be, for them. The meaning we assign is so personal. For me, there could be meaning and joy, under certain conditions. Casual sex or drugs for instance would not add anything in that direction, on the contrary - would bring shame, guilt, disgust. Not judging here, just stating my frame of mind.
But you may have different needs - assess them first. After all, you could try hedonism, why not? There's plenty of time to ctb. Just make sure you can afford it and do not harm others. Both will backfire, I think.

F

FoolishDog

Nov 20, 2020
I've done this. It makes it worse. Chasing pleasure only .leads to addiction. You will become more miserable than before. Whatever it takes to give you what you're looking for will stop being enough to give you what you are looking for. No matter what it is you are doing. It will happen sooner than you think it will. You'll do things you swore you would never do. Things that never even crossed your mind before.

This isn't the solution. It's just another symptom of the problem. Maybe the worst symptom.

Reactions: Isisnefert, Deleted member 22624 and Isitmytime
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Tried it but it felt like I was faking it or living someone else's life.
After all the distraction and "fun"
I was back to being depressed and empty old me...remembering a supposedly "happy" and "fun" evening I left early because the feeling of meaninglessness hit me right then and there.

But who's to say it won't work better for others.

• Hugs
Reactions: DocNo and Isisnefert
Isisnefert

Isisnefert

Student
Mar 17, 2020
Living in a constant weekend Is just a form of avoidance, monday always comes. I have practiced hedonism to run away from ctb, but failure in life is bigger than the momentary pleasure