G

GreenTree

Mage
Jun 1, 2020
I can't stop thinking about something from the past that I'm ashamed of. Its crippling my life. I'm sure the devil controls me.

• Aww..
Reactions: Peace_of_mind, _Minsk, All washed up and 2 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
This can be OCD, namely the O/obsessional part. It's very common and has its roots in anxiety. I used to ruminate on embarrassing situations from my past all the time, but when I was put on a combo of SSRI and a benzo, the rumination eased off almost completely.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend that combination, but it did prove to me that once I treated my underlying anxiety, the various offshoots of it would vastly improve too.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
i feel you, I always keep thinking about awkward and embarrassing stuff from my past and it keeps haunting me. It sucks

Reactions: Peace_of_mind and _Minsk
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
Same and the fun part is the more you don't want to think about stuff the more you think about it lol

Reactions: Lastsauce and Peace_of_mind
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
The classic method for quickly managing repetitive thinking is the Behavior Modification Therapy technique of THOUGHT STOPPING. Have a rubber band around your wrist, and when an unwanted or intrusive thought comes along, command yourself "Stop!," or "No!" while simultaneously snapping the rubber band against your wrist. Although of limited effectiveness, it's a simple technique which might provide some immediate relief.

G

GreenTree

Mage
Jun 1, 2020
This can be OCD, namely the O/obsessional part. It's very common and has its roots in anxiety. I used to ruminate on embarrassing situations from my past all the time, but when I was put on a combo of SSRI and a benzo, the rumination eased off almost completely.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend that combination, but it did prove to me that once I treated my underlying anxiety, the various offshoots of it would vastly improve too.
Are you on the benzodiazepine long term

violetsaturn

violetsaturn

Oct 28, 2020

Is your psychiatrist pretty loose on benzos or do they have a more strict policy? I was supposed to get benzos, but then my psychiatrist left and my case was just handed over to the newest hire (one that seems to be against prescribing benzos). I'm just trying to figure out if I need to leave that entire system and get a new psychiatrist, or if I should just keep waiting it out. I don't see him for another 3 months...I never went over a month between meeting with my old one, so I'm concerned.
Just to clarify, I am not trying to get benzos just for fun. My old psychiatrist wanted to put me on them for a bit so that I could get my anxiety under control enough to start practicing coping methods. At my current state, I'm constantly in panic mode with health issues that include a consistent tachycardia in 130s, so it's basically impossible for me to relax. By lowering my heart rate and whatnot, she theorized that I could perhaps actually be able to integrate non-medicinal methods during states of anxiety.

Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Are you on the benzodiazepine long term
I was on it for about 2-3 years but not anymore. It was very hard to kick.
Is your psychiatrist pretty loose on benzos or do they have a more strict policy? I was supposed to get benzos, but then my psychiatrist left and my case was just handed over to the newest hire (one that seems to be against prescribing benzos). I'm just trying to figure out if I need to leave that entire system and get a new psychiatrist, or if I should just keep waiting it out. I don't see him for another 3 months...I never went over a month between meeting with my old one, so I'm concerned.
Just to clarify, I am not trying to get benzos just for fun. My old psychiatrist wanted to put me on them for a bit so that I could get my anxiety under control enough to start practicing coping methods. At my current state, I'm constantly in panic mode with health issues that include a consistent tachycardia in 130s, so it's basically impossible for me to relax. By lowering my heart rate and whatnot, she theorized that I could perhaps actually be able to integrate non-medicinal methods during states of anxiety.
My psych was fairly relaxed about them, but like you I was experiencing a constant state of panic and terror/despair. I wound up in an outpatient clinic for a month and that was how I first got them prescribed. So I did have to kind of go through the ringer to be put on them.

• Hugs
Reactions: violetsaturn