• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

M

Michel Angelo

Jul 5, 2018
Like many of you I peruse the /childfree and /antinatalism threads every once in a while, and being how much attention is given to the recent Trump child separation fiasco I made a thread in the RANTS section of childfree, calling it something like "Childfree, Asylum, and Immigration," where I raised the point that if only more people would were childfree in Latin American countries, perhaps the pressure to emigrate would not be so great as it now is, but given how pronatalist latin american countries are (thanks to the catholic church, primarily) it'll probably take Jesus's second coming to get the birth rate down to sustainable levels, meaning that this is only going to get worse, blah blah blah blah. Inoffensive, and of course Trump / Sessions is a piece of shit for the child/mother separation fiasco in the message etc. etc.

Uncontroversial, right? Guess that's wrong, thread lasted all of nine minutes. It only took one nasty message from some lady who took it personally or something. Of course in the always beautiful language of ALL CAPS BECAUSE I NEVER LEARNED LOWERCASE.

Apparently RANTS are only for small-minded people to bitch and whine about particular "my mom said this" or "my coworker said that," and going one level higher in abstraction to societal critique / commentary is too much for their neurons to handle or something, even when it directly impacts being childfree. Perhaps it's in the nature of reddit, kind of like going to a real-life Craigslist/walmart I guess, there is quality there, but a lot of shit to wade through before finding anything.

Have perused the timetogo thread as well, I'm getting the feeling that whomever runs that now really isn't pro-suicide.....some of their discussions look more like they're someone from SW pretending to be pro-suicide or something.

Fylobatica

Fylobatica

Inactive
Apr 1, 2018
I left Reddit months ago, I simply couldn't stand all of the chatter.
r/childfree is also a populated community (it has about 305,000 members if I recall it right), people going nuts in overcrowded subs are a "normal" inconvenience.

However, I'd suggest you turn off other people's replies, so you can leave your comment without having your day ruined by pointless rants

M

Michel Angelo

Jul 5, 2018
You'd figure that in a sub that's dedicated to being childfree there'd be interest in taking that one step forward from individual childlessness to looking at it from a macro scale, yet there's always some idiot who doesn't understand or simply doesn't like the conversation so will attempt to ban it. But then again this is the same sort of place where it's accepted as common knowledge that depression is a chemical imbalance, that suicidality pretty much guarantees you being mentally ill, as well as believing in any standard trope as dogma. Guess that I've spent so much of my life in academia that frankly talking to common people only happens when I visit the parents in MN. (not to denigrate such people, but in normal conversation one assumes to separate emotions from rationality when making an argument, etc. - or that simply because a person feels a certain way doesn't automatically make them right, etc) Tend to forget that the usual response to anything of the "other" is denial or screaming.