phersper

phersper

F*ck psychiatry
Jun 28, 2023
After failing a partial hanging two days ago I find myself with a shaky left hand and some slight problems with coordination in my body. And my neck still hurts.

Do you think the brain has the capacity to heal this kind of things? I mean, even people with a stroke recover partially, I guess a shaky hand and some lack of coordination should heal one day right?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: TheGoodGuy, idk3, conflagration and 7 others
Death is my goal

Death is my goal

pathetic failure
Aug 25, 2022
never thought of asking a doctor?

Reactions: tora, aticeret, ChronicallyCynical and 2 others
SenseOfLoss

SenseOfLoss

life could have been so beautiful
Feb 24, 2023
Did you only have these symptoms immediately afterwards or do they persist?

Reactions: ChronicallyCynical, Skathon and phersper
phersper

phersper

F*ck psychiatry
Jun 28, 2023
Immediately after they were huge, like I was convulsing and shaking a lot. Then it got better, but still I notice my left hand being a bit shaky and I can't play my guitar as I used to be. Could be also anxiety, I dunno.

But I really want to know the range of healing that a brain/nervous system can have?

If I go to a doctor and tell him what I did they will send me to a psych ward 🥶 cuz it s not the first time

Reactions: TheGoodGuy, Kompass, Brown-Jacket Revy and 2 others
howcanigo

howcanigo

another day without saying what i want to say?
Sep 9, 2023
i had a similar experience after a failed hanging attempt, though every attempt and brain is different, most people recover from the brain damage unless there's spinal injury which usually only happens in full suspension hangings and drop hangings. (here's one interesting study in India)

it could be days, or weeks or months, or years, it's really hard to determine without tests. all of my shakiness and confusion mostly fully healed in about a couple weeks. if you went unconscious, i'd say its more likely to be long-term or permanent but if you maintained consciousness, the recovery will probably be quicker.

Reactions: cfyzcfif, ChronicallyCynical and phersper
N

nobody96

Aug 3, 2023
How do you get through the fear. I want to die, just tried to hang myself but I couldn't do it.

Reactions: cfyzcfif, ChronicallyCynical and phersper
phersper

phersper

F*ck psychiatry
Jun 28, 2023
i had a similar experience after a failed hanging attempt, though every attempt and brain is different, most people recover from the brain damage unless there's spinal injury which usually only happens in full suspension hangings and drop hangings. (here's one interesting study in India)

it could be days, or weeks or months, or years, it's really hard to determine without tests. all of my shakiness and confusion mostly fully healed in about a couple weeks. if you went unconscious, i'd say its more likely to be long-term or permanent but if you maintained consciousness, the recovery will probably be quicker.
I dunno, I was kinda blacking out, and then I remember I was on the floor. But I think I volountarily opened the door knob to detach the belt, then I was on the floor shaking very hard (I don't know the reason of this symptom). I think that if I blacked out it was for a very short amount of time, less than 30 sec.

What were your symptoms? They fully recovered?

Which tests you can do in order to determine if there s a brain damage and the entity of it (which is not the classical mri)?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: ChronicallyCynical and Praestat_Mori
SenseOfLoss

SenseOfLoss

life could have been so beautiful
Feb 24, 2023
Well, I also had convulsions several times, but only while hanging. Afterwards, I always had severe headaches and sore throats, as well as dizziness. However, I have also never been completely unconscious. I only know from several people that they had symptoms after blacking out for several hours, but then they went away.
You could also tell the doctor that you played the choking game - it's basically the same mechanism and many do it just for fun.

Reactions: ChronicallyCynical
ToTheTwillight

ToTheTwillight

Experienced
May 19, 2023
Hi @phersper, I read your other thread and your story on your 3rd failed attempt to partial hanging. Really sorry you in this situation right now. I hear you about being locked in a psyche ward and why refrain from a doctor. But somehow getting medical help is ideal, maybe come with clever story so it won't appear as ctb or find someone who is medically knowledgeable although not certified doctor. It may sound sketchy, but someway somehow, you need to get checked on this

• Informative
Reactions: silentcicada and ChronicallyCynical
rosenwasser

rosenwasser

per ardua ad astra
Sep 9, 2023
Many people recover fully from brain damage like minor stroke etc so this doesn't have to be permanent at all.
It can go away spontaneously but it would surely be better if you had some medical help (neurological check, ergotherapy). Is there any way for you to frame your injuries to get it checked up?

N

nessun_nome

Student
May 7, 2023
After failing a partial hanging two days ago I find myself with a shaky left hand and some slight problems with coordination in my body. And my neck still hurts.

Do you think the brain has the capacity to heal this kind of things? I mean, even people with a stroke recover partially, I guess a shaky hand and some lack of coordination should heal one day right?

I doubt if you have brain damage. You describe blacking our for a very short time. My guess would be that the injury is more physical and I would expect it to heal.

You describe a significant improvement already and there is no reason to suppose that will cease.

phersper

phersper

F*ck psychiatry
Jun 28, 2023
I doubt if you have brain damage. You describe blacking our for a very short time. My guess would be that the injury is more physical and I would expect it to heal.

You describe a significant improvement already and there is no reason to suppose that will cease.
Yeah maybe you re right. But it's all the convulsions/shaking and confusion I got when I was on the floor which scares me. Not many people who failed partial hanging report these kind of reactions…

howcanigo

howcanigo

another day without saying what i want to say?
Sep 9, 2023
I dunno, I was kinda blacking out, and then I remember I was on the floor. But I think I volountarily opened the door knob to detach the belt, then I was on the floor shaking very hard (I don't know the reason of this symptom). I think that if I blacked out it was for a very short amount of time, less than 30 sec.

What were your symptoms? They fully recovered?

Which tests you can do in order to determine if there s a brain damage and the entity of it (which is not the classical mri)?
i had two hanging attempts, the second was the worse of the two. i was shaky and in pain for the week or so afterwards. my neck hurt externally until the ligature marks healed and my neck stopped burning consistently after a couple days. there was still some aching, probably from internal neck damage i couldn't see. i think convulsions that aren't related to epilepsy happen often from brain trauma, which could make sense here since you did have a lack of oxygen until you got down. i was shaky but i'm not sure if i'd call them convulsions, i didn't go to the doctor and this happened a few years ago. i did have a bit of trouble breathing for a bit afterwards and a hoarse throat. it did all eventually heal but it sounds like your symptoms are more significant than mine were.

since i didnt get medical help, i can't tell you first hand what testing they would do. wish i could give you a more educated response.

Reactions: SenseOfLoss and ChronicallyCynical
N

nessun_nome

Student
May 7, 2023
Yeah maybe you re right. But it's all the convulsions/shaking and confusion I got when I was on the floor which scares me. Not many people who failed partial hanging report these kind of reactions…

I think that's normal. I've had it.

See .

Reactions: howcanigo
phersper

phersper

F*ck psychiatry
Jun 28, 2023
I think that's normal. I've had it.

See .

Thank you a lot. The fact is that I still have a slightly left hand shaking. The rest seems pretty normal. When you failed you re attempt were you in a state of confusion/dizzines/drowsiness? Cuz for these last sulymptoms it took me more than an hour to go fully away, but still to this day I feel a bit drowsy sometimes. I m really hoping I didn't cause any brain damage due to some hypoxic or vascular hyper pression while I was hanging… I hope time ll tell, maybe I ll be stuck like this forever 😫

Reactions: howcanigo
N

nessun_nome

Student
May 7, 2023
Thank you a lot. The fact is that I still have a slightly left hand shaking. The rest seems pretty normal. When you failed you re attempt were you in a state of confusion/dizzines/drowsiness? Cuz for these last sulymptoms it took me more than an hour to go fully away, but still to this day I feel a bit drowsy sometimes. I m really hoping I didn't cause any brain damage due to some hypoxic or vascular hyper pression while I was hanging… I hope time ll tell, maybe I ll be stuck like this forever 😫

I was very confused. I think the last few percent of recovery will take the longest. You say it's slight. Maybe a few exercises would help it.

If you have done damage then you need to learn to cope with it and overcome it. Try to find some physiotherapist exercises for hand control.

I still would be surprised if it was brain damage.

phersper

phersper

F*ck psychiatry
Jun 28, 2023
I was very confused. I think the last few percent of recovery will take the longest. You say it's slight. Maybe a few exercises would help it.

If you have done damage then you need to learn to cope with it and overcome it. Try to find some physiotherapist exercises for hand control.

"Neurological consequences of strangulation include: loss of consciousness (which indicates at least mild brain injury), paralysis, movement disorders, speech disorders, incontinence, and seizures"

Seems like by the time you lose consciousness you already have a mild brain damage, even if it s only for 10 seconds… sounds a bit too much but I m no doctor

N

nessun_nome

Student
May 7, 2023

"Neurological consequences of strangulation include: loss of consciousness (which indicates at least mild brain injury), paralysis, movement disorders, speech disorders, incontinence, and seizures"

Seems like by the time you lose consciousness you already have a mild brain damage, even if it s only for 10 seconds… sounds a bit too much but I m no doctor

I don't think so. Personally if I were to research this, I'd seek out peer-reviewed scientific or medical articles of the right standard. This is an article written for political effect.

Davey36000

Davey36000

I'm not the dog in the picture
Jun 12, 2023
I think you will recover, but if you want to make sure, regardless of whatever you do in regards to this (like going to the doctor, doing tests, etc.), you can take fish oil (omega 3) for neurogenesis. Other things may also help in brain/nervous system recovery like aerobic exercise and maybe other things.

If your system is recovering there is a good chance it can recover completely.

P.S: Lion's Mane mushroom seems to be good for brain damage (and maybe nervous system damage too). There are some natural healing options you could consider, and they aren't very expensive, considering the condition. Try doing some research and see what you can find.

Last edited:
tinyghost

tinyghost

go home at dawn sleep in the sun
Sep 13, 2023
i tried full suspension. idk how long i was unconscious, but i was definitely shaking for a while even after i regained consciousness and i felt really weird in the head for a few days (dazed, confused ect) but the hospital did bloodwork and scans and said i was fine. youre probably okay, but a doctor is the only way to know for sure

Reactions: phersper
N

nessun_nome

Student
May 7, 2023
I think you will recover, but if you want to make sure, regardless of whatever you do in regards to this (like going to the doctor, doing tests, etc.), you can take fish oil (omega 3) for neurogenesis. Other things may also help in brain/nervous system recovery like aerobic exercise and maybe other things.

If your system is recovering there is a good chance it can recover completely.

P.S: Lion's Mane mushroom seems to be good for brain damage (and maybe nervous system damage too). There are some natural healing options you could consider, and they aren't very expensive, considering the condition. Try doing some research and see what you can find.

But also exercise the affected parts so that the brain focuses on it.

Reactions: phersper
silentcicada

silentcicada

Silhouettes on the ceiling
Aug 2, 2023
Not a doctor, but with certain brain damage only time can tell. That's how it is in my case sadly. :( best of luck!

phersper

phersper

F*ck psychiatry
Jun 28, 2023
I did electroshock therapy which left me with a cognitive impairment
Damn, I feel I have a cognitive impairment too. Like if my mind is blank, very bad memory issues, difficulties in talking fluid and be brilliant. Sometimes I have also a hard time reading books…
Is it something similar to yours?
ECT sounds horrible, I still don't understand how electric shocks could heal a mental disorder…

• Hugs
Reactions: silentcicada
silentcicada

silentcicada

Silhouettes on the ceiling
Aug 2, 2023
Damn, I feel I have a cognitive impairment too. Like if my mind is blank, very bad memory issues, difficulties in talking fluid and be brilliant. Sometimes I have also a hard time reading books…
Is it something similar to yours?
ECT sounds horrible, I still don't understand how electric shocks could heal a mental disorder…
Sounds like we have the same brain!
I have ADHD and OCD so it can be hard to tell what is being caused by what.
ECT has helped a lot admittedly, but the trade off wasn't quite fair. Most people are lucky and don't suffer any side effects at all. The universe just hates me lmao