ocdrowsy

ocdrowsy

Apr 30, 2023
HI there, I was just wondering if anybody could share some positive stories about being able to start recovering from OCD. I don't know if I can allow myself to keep fighting it if it just wins all the time, but maybe if anybody has beat theirs it will give me a sense of hope, thank you :)

• Hugs
Reactions: pretzelsandballoons and Deathisbetter
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
I know one person who will try to break a habit by forcing themselves to do something different every fifth time. By gritting their teeth and forcing themselves to make an occasional alteration, they confront their OCD. What may be actually happening is that the comfort they get from their routine is slowly being transferred to comfort being derived from the ability to control things.

There may be a physiological / neurological component to OCD, but that doesn't mean that a person cannot make some improvements.

Reactions: AboutTom
P

painful existence

Student
Jul 11, 2023
I am primarily suffering from major depressive disorder but I also had symptoms of OCD(though it wasn't that harsh).I have pretty much overcome them through controlling my thoughts.It was difficult in the beginning but now it has become easier.

ocdrowsy

ocdrowsy

Apr 30, 2023
I know one person who will try to break a habit by forcing themselves to do something different every fifth time. By gritting their teeth and forcing themselves to make an occasional alteration, they confront their OCD. What may be actually happening is that the comfort they get from their routine is slowly being transferred to comfort being derived from the ability to control things.

There may be a physiological / neurological component to OCD, but that doesn't mean that a person cannot make some improvements.
This made so much sense thank you so much I do think lack of control drives the anxiety aspect of the disorder but maybe it's lack of control of own thoughts rather than the lack of control of the situation as situations can be uncertain. Even with antidepressants addressing the neurological component of the disorder the anxiety is still very present and very harsh so perhaps there are other underlying issues not being worked on
I am primarily suffering from major depressive disorder but I also had symptoms of OCD(though it wasn't that harsh).I have pretty much overcome them through controlling my thoughts.It was difficult in the beginning but now it has become easier.
i suffer from both too MDD is the worst but ocd feeds into it so much more, I'm so glad you were able to overcome them though, what kinda things did you do?

• Hugs
Reactions: Deathisbetter
ENDFINITY

ENDFINITY

Agony
Aug 13, 2023
I Was Diagnosed With Severe Refractory OCD, Anxiety & MDD In 2021 & I Still Have It. I Am On Meds Since 3 Years. I Couldn't Complete My Engineering Due To Illness. I Tried Suicide 2 Times, Both Times I Was Admitted To Hospital For 3 Days. That's The Real Life....Lonely, Sick, Depressed. But Each Day I Pray To Get Out Of Illness But Most Of Psychological Illness Can't Be Cured. So I Am Just Existing, Don't Know How Long..........
I have Refractory OCD means you can guess how severe it is and not responding to first line treatments. So I had tried risperidone & aripiprazole along with SSRI but it caused me Akathisia (physical pain and severe restless leg syndrome due to taking antipsychotics)

ocdrowsy

ocdrowsy

Apr 30, 2023
I Was Diagnosed With Severe Refractory OCD, Anxiety & MDD In 2021 & I Still Have It. I Am On Meds Since 3 Years. I Couldn't Complete My Engineering Due To Illness. I Tried Suicide 2 Times, Both Times I Was Admitted To Hospital For 3 Days. That's The Real Life....Lonely, Sick, Depressed. But Each Day I Pray To Get Out Of Illness But Most Of Psychological Illness Can't Be Cured. So I Am Just Existing, Don't Know How Long..........
I have Refractory OCD means you can guess how severe it is and not responding to first line treatments. So I had tried risperidone & aripiprazole along with SSRI but it caused me Akathisia (physical pain and severe restless leg syndrome due to taking antipsychotics)
I'm so sorry, that must've been so tiring to go through all the medication and waiting for it to get better, I don't think I've had any success with Zoloft as the anxiety is still there and I try to quiet it. Mental illnesses are truly horrible and I'm not sure if they've ever been fully cured but alot of people have recovered from them or learnt how to live with it, but honestly you are so brave for sticking with it and trying to recover especially with everything that you've been through, ocd and depression are so so intense and awful to experience together, but you are still trying, as I am, you are much stronger than the ocd lets on.

ENDFINITY

ENDFINITY

Agony
Aug 13, 2023
I'm so sorry, that must've been so tiring to go through all the medication and waiting for it to get better, I don't think I've had any success with Zoloft as the anxiety is still there and I try to quiet it. Mental illnesses are truly horrible and I'm not sure if they've ever been fully cured but alot of people have recovered from them or learnt how to live with it, but honestly you are so brave for sticking with it and trying to recover especially with everything that you've been through, ocd and depression are so so intense and awful to experience together, but you are still trying, as I am, you are much stronger than the ocd lets on.
Thanks buddy

todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
Alot of people use a supplement called NAC for OCD but I think the potential side effects are too powerful. You might try nebulized glutathione or another bioavailable form. Its a major liver antioxidant so its just massively enhancing your body's ability to clean up.

i copy/pasted the following with some edits:

"Key Micronutrients mentioned in here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7066598/

As far as lifestyle interventions/non-invasive therapies go, mindfulness meditation, electroacupuncture and kundalini yoga had some positive effects on OCD: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165032711002187?via=ihub

So for micronutrient supplements: D3 (sunbathing is optimal by far)+K2, (methyl)B12, 5-MTHF (watch for worse mood on folates), Selenium (careful not to overdo intake incl diet), Zinc+Copper (try and get from food, 25mg max supplemented imho), Magnesium(bis)glycinate (get the powder).
Others: NAC, Myo-Inositol (18gr+) (get powder it tastes like sugar), Sarcosine, Neboglamine

NAC can be used safely along SSRI/SNRI treatment, but Myo-Inositol and Sarcosine can enhance its effect"

If you start testing supplements, keep a diary of how you feel and take breaks from them to id side effects.