reesespiecesaregood

reesespiecesaregood

Dec 27, 2019
Watching the sunrise after not sleeping a wink, just thinking my endless monologue of thoughts n thought I'd share.

Life is so strange. I've gotten to the point where I feel like I'm just an observer in life since I don't participate these days. I've come to a lot of realizations thru this time.
If you truly examine life through the perspective of someone watching ants on an ant farm, things get clearer, but weirder. Everything is truly a construct. For the sake of explaining my perspective I'm gonna use the ant analogy.

Our lives are just whatever happens between birth and death. Whatever's in between is our choice. But not really though. Society and human existence or whatever has created a standard, acceptable schedule for "life" or whatever it is you do with the time you have on earth. That schedule can conveniently be measured and kept track of. Our little blip of present time's chosen societal schedule consists of going to job/school for x amount of time, exchanging words with other ants, arriving back to our reserved location on earth, doing things/chores that prepare us for our next round (what we call day) and repeating. Of course squeezing in what society deems as entertainment/leisure in between.

Now, to what our choices of that leisure time is. Entertainment is a huge industry. But the glitz and theatrics of it all distract from our understanding what it really is. For example, movies/Tv are just us spending time watching other ants doing what they do in their time here. Learning about the history of ants before us. Whatever it is.
Going "out to eat", is just eating food, surely tastier than most, but more importantly, being surrounded by fellow ants in what we call "public". Traveling to other areas of our little Rock (planet) to be around new fellow ants that we'll probably never see again after that. Seeing ant-built structures (buildings). Shopping, or using our constructed form of value/what we call money to be able to collect items we'd probably never think to need if we weren't exposed to it. Gathering clothes or things to cover us, and make us look nice to other ants. Watching/partaking in sports, various constructed ways to keep our ant bodies active, or just watch others do it, in a way that makes us use our constructed valued money to watch them do so.

Etc etc etc

But like, at the core of everything we do, from an observer perspective, is a) things necessary to keep our ant bodies alive like food hygiene etc and b) distracting ourselves

Not distraction in the way we understand the word in our daily lives, but literally distraction, from nothingness. Like we go to a job to get the money we need to support our reserved place on our rock, our eating (necessary to live), and every other activity we partake in to distract ourselves.

I know society wasn't always like this, it was simpler and harder to survive in itself, and people generally lived shorter lives, spent most of it working to survive, and then died. Some still do.

But generally, we schedule our lives according to necessity and distraction. So as society and humanity strives for new advancements and growth and whatnot, we're literally just continuing to create distractions for ourselves, distractions from existence. Distractions from nothingness. Idk a better way to put it. I don't even mean nothingness in a dark morbid sense. Just literally...nothing.

So is that the point of life? To survive and to distract from otherwise, nothing? At it's truest, rawest, core, that's what I see.

If you wiped the earth of all current advancements, and all was left was just blank land and your own two feet, what would life be? Still, it'd be you, in your own ant body, percieving the outside existence from your own ant mind. However, there wouldn't be many distractions. Our time here would be survival.

So is the core purpose of humanity and existence in general just that? Survival, reproduction, repeat. For what? I know it's THE existential question, and no one knows. But examining life in this way really makes it clear how weird and pointless life truly does seem. Not even trying to be negative or morbid at all. It's just fact to me.

I could write and write and write about stuff like this. Like how we even literally create what we deem as meaningful or relevant in life. The language we use to depict our thoughts is often times repetitive and not saying much of anything at all. Talking and conversing with others is just exchanging words we learned from other's and mostly repeating similar sentences and ideas till we die. I could truly go on and on, but I'll spare you all lol.

I don't think any of what I said even remotely captures the true essence of how I see the world. But if you take anything from this, I hope it's not pessimism, because that's not what I mean it to be. More it's just my own observations of in such a seemingly complicated and chaotic world, "life" seems to me really very very simple at it's core.

P.S. ! How about how our "identities" only actually exist in our's and other's faulty minds & memories. So actually, we are only what we are doing at the precise moment that we are in.

Hahaha okay I'm done, maybe I'll save that one for another time.

Last edited:
Reactions: UninformedLover, Ame and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
So is that the point of life? To survive and to distract from otherwise, nothing? At it's truest, rawest, core, that's what I see.
It would certainly seem so, yes. To survive long enough to produce offspring, then ensure they survive long enough to produce more offspring...yadayada. Genetic propagation to achieve even more survival of your genetic material beyond your own life span. If there is a reason beyond this, and if it's actually working towards something, then it will be forever beyond us. Or maybe the anthropic principle is in play here. There is a reason because there has to be or there is no point. Which is an interesting, if flawed perspective, but one that is very understandable given human nature.
I could write loads of stuff about this too ( I often write loads of meandering, conflicting thoughts), but for once I'll keep it short and sweet.

Reactions: Ame
reesespiecesaregood

reesespiecesaregood

Dec 27, 2019
It would certainly seem so, yes. To survive long enough to produce offspring, then ensure they survive long enough to produce more offspring...yadayada. Genetic propagation to achieve even more survival of your genetic material beyond your own life span. If there is a reason beyond this, and if it's actually working towards something, then it will be forever beyond us. Or maybe the anthropic principle is in play here. There is a reason because there has to be or there is no point. Which is an interesting, if flawed perspective, but one that is very understandable given human nature.
I could write loads of stuff about this too ( I often write loads of meandering, conflicting thoughts), but for once I'll keep it short and sweet.

I agree that any actual purpose is something we'd never figure out as we're just players in the game.

I'd love to hear more of your thoughts. Can you explain what you mean by the anthropic principle?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Sorry to be lazy, but wiki explains it better than i could

I guess it all boils down to 'I think, therefore I am.'

It's a clichéd truism but any meaning that life has may well be whatever you choose to give to it. It's possibly a subjective choice rather than an objective truth. If there is an objective truth, the subjective choice is still going to be all we will ever have access to.

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
@VisionsOfHell Whenever I see your username the song The Figurehead by The Cure starts playing in the back of my mind.

• Love
Reactions: VisionsOfHell
VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
@VisionsOfHell Whenever I see your username the song The Figurehead by The Cure starts playing in the back of my mind.
Thats how it originally got into my mind. I love that song and album. And I love the fact that we seem to agree on so many things :)

• Love
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

mahakaliSS_MahaDurga

Visionary
Apr 2, 2020
Thats how it originally got into my mind. I love that song and album. And I love the fact that we seem to agree on so many things :)
That's one of my favorite songs. :happy: We do seem to agree on many things. Are you on Twitter btw?

VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
That's one of my favorite songs. :happy: We do seem to agree on many things. Are you on Twitter btw?
No I just lurk on there sometimes but am not active. Theres a few meme accounts and e-celebs I find funny. Why do you ask? Pm me if u like I dont wanna invade this thread too much.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
Reactions: Disappointered