• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Squidward

Squidward

This is as brave as I know how to be...
Apr 18, 2018
"He who does not accept and respect those who want to reject life does not truly accept and respect life itself."

"In the past, men created witches: now they create mental patients."

"Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults."

I went and picked up some of my favorite Thomas Szasz quotes from Google.

anna

anna

downfall
Mar 18, 2018
"At a given moment in life, we die without being buried."
Our destiny has been fulfilled.
The world is full of dead people, although she ignores it. "
Goethe

"Suicide, far from denying the will, affirms it energetically. For the denial does not consist in abhorring pain, but the joys of life. The suicidal loves life; the only thing that happens is that he does not accept the conditions in which it is offered. "
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The thought of suicide is a powerful means of consolation: with it you can endure more than one bad night."
Nietzsche

N

Neo-Schopenhauerian

Apr 16, 2018
"Suicide, far from denying the will, affirms it energetically. For the denial does not consist in abhorring pain, but the joys of life. The suicidal loves life; the only thing that happens is that he does not accept the conditions in which it is offered. "
Arthur Schopenhauer

I've read this before and disagree with him. You can commit suicide as an act of renouncing life for reasons other than depression or disliking the conditions. There's no existence I would prefer to there never having existed anything at all. Happiness is a drug that keeps you bound to life, akin to an addiction.

anna

anna

downfall
Mar 18, 2018
I've read this before and disagree with him. You can commit suicide as an act of renouncing life for reasons other than depression or disliking the conditions. There's no existence I would prefer to there never having existed anything at all. Happiness is a drug that keeps you bound to life, akin to an addiction.

What that quote mentions, are quite common examples. But they are not the only reasons.
Of course there may be others different.

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
"And , knowing the world for what it is - Unforgiveable .
And loving it just the same."

James K Baxter

Only ( misremembered ) quote I remember .
something about the paradox of it all .

DF90

DF90

Experienced
Mar 18, 2018
The Invitation
Oriah Mountain Dreamer

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shrivelled and closed from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it, or fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own; if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself. If you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul. If you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see Beauty even when it is not pretty every day. And if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand at the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, 'Yes.'

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the centre of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

Meena

Meena

Student
Jun 7, 2018
My suicide note will be addressed to my son kidnapped for 6 years now in France by his father. " Romain où que je serai tu resteras dans mon coeur". Wherevere i will be you will be in my heart.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
quote-it-is-good-to-be-a-cynic-it-is-better-to-be-a-contented-cat-and-it-is-best-not-to-exist-h-p-lovecraft-109-65-66.jpg

Very good and deep is the thought: "Nobody would accept life as a gift if they could decide." Seneca was the one who said it and I am in agreement with him. Imagine a pre existent soul, in all it's tranquility, Which is informed of what the life of man entails and the evils to which they are subject it would refuse to enter a body.
- Giacomo Casanova, Dialogues sur le suicide

How is it that in no epoch of history, in no place on earth, a sect of wise men has been formed with the aim of making human life die out in the face of the cruelty of its evils? Why is it that this end of mankind by abstention from procreation has not been preached? – Or, for the more hasty, by exploring and inventing in public chemistry laboratories possibilities for the most gentle suicide, where a combination of exhilarating gases would be taught that made a bout of laughter out of the transition from being to nonbeing?
- Edmond de Goncourt

Best by far not to be born, and not to come up against these rocks of life, but, if you are born, is it next best to escape as it were from fire of fortune as quickly as possible.
- Cicero, Consolation, 45 BC

And our very being what a mistake, what an injury to have adjoined it to existence, when we might have persevered, intact, in the virtual, the invulnerable! No-one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if ever there was one. Yet it is with the hope of being cured of it some day that we accept life and endure its ordeals. The years pass, the wound remains.
- Emil Cioran

T

tMartin

May 28, 2018
"I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first. I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark"
- Stephen Hawking