O

ophelia_

Aug 26, 2021
"I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside."

"Scar tissue has no character. It's not like skin. It doesn't show age or illness or pallor or tan. It has no pores, no hair, no wrinkles. It's like a slip cover. It shields and disguises what's beneath. That's why we grow it; we have something to hide. "
― Susanna Kaysen

• Hugs
Reactions: Venessolotic, bea1974, Celerity and 1 other person
P

paradiselock

Sep 19, 2021
I presume he comes to deny this position by the end of the book? I think there's no unveiled way of seeing tbh. Seeing is synonymous with seeing through a veil.
I have no idea to be honest. I've been meaning to read the book for a while but I've been too nervous to. This analogy stuck with me though because it explained so succinctly how hard it is to "leave" depression, like how when you realise something is a lie it's impossible to go back to believing what you used to. Or how it's really hard to go back to your old self once you've changed (like imagine acting as you did when you were a teenager now that you're an adult). I agree with your way of thinking because no way of seeing is unbiased but I think the analogy is more effective in letting others understand what depression is like if you frame it as the bare truth that we are living (regardless of whether or not that is true in reality).

Unrelated, here's another quote that's stuck with me. I love this movie.

"You don't know how lucky you are, being a monkey. Because consciousness...is a terrible curse. I think, I feel, I suffer." -Being John Malkovich
Vlcsnap 2021 09 26 13h28m56s089

Reactions: motel rooms, Celerity and deflationary
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Life is a piece of crap,
Covered in a shinny wrap.
Life is a piece of turd,
Masquerading as a bird.

Sing for me, you feathery bitch!
I hear nothing but droppings thud,
Without rythm and without pitch.
You're just an anus leaking crud.

• Yay!
Reactions: Venessolotic, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Rogue Proxy and 1 other person
O

ophelia_

Aug 26, 2021
"....I was surrounded by phonies. That's all. They were coming in the goddam window.

″'Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.'"
'Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it.'
Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all right—I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game."

– J. D. Salinger, Catcher in the Rye

"It is not seen as insane when a fighter, under an attack that will inevitable lead to his death, chooses to take his own life first. In fact, this act has been encouraged for centuries, and is accepted even now as an honorable reason to do the deed. How is it any different when you are under attack by your own mind?"
― Emilie Autumn, The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, D&D, it's_all_a_game and 3 others
BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit

Staring at the edge
Apr 28, 2021
All this means, to be sure, that life can be regarded as a dream and death as the awakening from it: but it must be remembered that the personality, the individual, belongs to the dreaming and not to the awakened consciousness, which is why death appears to the individual as annihilation. In any event, death is not, from this point of view, to be considered a transition to a state completely new and foreign to us, but rather a return to one originally our own from which life has been only a brief absence.

--Arthur Schopenhauer

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Venessolotic, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, D&D and 6 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Life is a piece of crap,
Covered in a shinny wrap.
Life is a piece of turd,
Masquerading as a bird.

Sing for me, you feathery bitch!
I hear nothing but droppings thud,
Without rythm and without pitch.
You're just an anus leaking crud.
Sorry for this.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021

The Ocean Doesn't Want Me​

The ocean doesn't want me today
But I'll be back tomorrow to play
And the strangels will take me
Down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
I'll open my head and let out
All of my time
I'd love to go drowning
And to stay and to stay
But the ocean doesn't want me today
I'll go in up to here
It can't possibly hurt
All they will find is my beer
And my shirt
A rip tide is raging
And the lifeguard is away
But the ocean doesn't want me today
The ocean doesn't want me today

-- Tom Waits

• Love
Reactions: D&D, UseItOrLoseIt, Celerity and 1 other person
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
Do you know what this is from? Michelle Pfeiffer is wonderful, so inquiring minds want to know.
White Oleander
One of my fav movies. Michelle is excellent in her role. She plays a sociopath so well.

Reactions: Celerity
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, D&D, BottomlessPit and 3 others
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
"I find nothing more depressing than optimism."
-Paul Fussell

"Death is not an evil, because it frees us from all evils, and while it takes away good things, it takes away also the desire for them. Old age is the supreme evil, because it deprives us of all pleasures, leaving us only the appetite for them, and it brings with it all sufferings. Nevertheless, we fear death, and we desire old age."
-Giacomo Leopardi
Personally, I disagree with the last sentence. Avoiding old age is one of the many reasons why I want to die soon.

"Life asked Death, 'Why do people love me, but hate you?' Death responded, 'Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth.'"
-Unknown

"From the moment we're thrown into this world, we're fated to bring each other nothing but pain and misery."
-Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid

"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable."
-Voltaire

"If there's life on other planets, then the earth is the Universe's insane asylum."
-Voltaire

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"I cannot here withhold the statement that optimism, where it is not merely the thoughtless talk of those who harbor nothing but words under their shallow foreheads, seems to me to be not merely an absurd, but also a really wicked way of thinking, a bitter mockery of the most unspeakable sufferings of mankind."
-Arthur Schopenhauer

"It would be better if there were nothing. Since there is more pain than pleasure on earth, every satisfaction is only transitory, creating new desires and new distresses, and the agony of the devoured animal is always far greater than the pleasure of the devourer."
-Arthur Schopenhauer

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
-Anatoly Rybakov

"Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, the best thing would to have never been born at all."
-Heinrich Heine

"Living is a disease from the pains of which sleep eases us every sixteen hours; sleep is but a palliative, death alone is the cure."
-Nicolas Chamfort

Also, does anyone else like to collect quotes? There were a few quotes on this thread that I enjoyed and jotted down.

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, D&D and 8 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
hate this series but this scene hit home.

Reactions: ophelia_
R

Rabbit

Sep 3, 2021
"I can't stand to live with myself any longer." Eckard Tolle. It's when he realized there were 2 entities. Thoughts are not real. They are separate from you.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
"I think and think and think. I've thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it."

"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living."

"Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future."

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."

"He awoke each morning with the desire to do right, to be a good and meaningful person, to be, as simple as it sounded and as impossible as it actually was, happy. And during the course of each day his heart would descend from his chest into his stomach. By early afternoon he was overcome by the feeling that nothing was right, or nothing was right for him, and by the desire to be alone. By evening he was fulfilled: alone in the magnitude of his grief, alone in his aimless guilt, alone even in his loneliness. I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. As if he might one day convince himself. Or fool himself. Or convince others--the only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad. I am not sad. I am not sad. Because his life had unlimited potential for happiness, insofar as it was an empty white room. He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all. And each morning he would wake with it again in the cupboard of his rib cage, having become a little heavier, a little weaker, but still pumping. And by the midafternoon he was again overcome with the desire to be somewhere else, someone else, someone else somewhere else. I am not sad."

- Jonathan Safran Foer

Reactions: Cold, spiralling, Celerity and 1 other person
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
"There's nothing special about being born. Not a thing. Most of the universe is just death, nothing more. In this universe of ours, the birth of a new life on some corner of our planet is nothing but a tiny, insignificant flash. Death is a normal thing. So why live?" - Johan Liebert

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic and LastLoveLetter
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
"Life is just an illusion. Deal with it" i dont think i seen that quote anywhere or i made it up once ,idk

"We're just humans ,tiny ,insignificant humans ,who couldn't even help save a little girl " - Edward Elric ,FMA2003

"Society that cant truely accept the ones who are different than them and the misunderstood etc ,cannot call itself a Society " - Simba (i just made that one up now )

"Society is a group of people who've decided how we should all live by and what societal norms too " (made that one too ,to me thats sad cause i have autism and i see myself with the dillema wheter to be like everyone else ,normies - or perhaps to be myself and to pay the price ,which i think i may be paying .. )

_____

Quotes from the Supporting SS page that i put up there

"Dying is not a crime."
- Jack Kevorkian

"A society that believes in nothing can offer no argument even against death. A culture that has lost its faith in life cannot comprehend why it should be endured."
- Andrew Coyne

"First, it is not a crime in America to watch somebody kill themselves and do nothing to stop it. (It may be in some other countries, but this is untested and thus unclear.) Therefore, a person can give the dying patient the absolutely essential gift of being present at the deathbed because (a) nobody should have to die alone; and (b) the presence of a caring friend reduces the chance of the self-deliverance being botched. In nearly every case in which I hear of a failed self-deliverance, the dying person has acted alone."
- Derek Humphry

"Providing information about how persons may end their life is not a crime, at least in the United States, or I would have spent many years behind bars!"
- Derek Humphry

"Self-destruction of a physically fit person is always a tragic waste of life and hurtful to survivors, but life is a personal responsibility. We must each decide for ourselves."
- Derek Humphry

"Then one day we suddenly realized that we had been keeping him alive not because it was good for him, but because it was good for us, because it was too hard to make the decision to let him go. And in the joyful bargain between dog and person, that is the one unforgivable cheat."
- Anna Quindlen

"If your pet is dying in pain, you will be condemned for cruelty if you do not summon the vet to give him a general anaesthetic from which he will not come round. But if your doctor performs exactly the same merciful service for you when you are dying in pain, he runs the risk of being prosecuted for murder."
- Richard Dawkins

"It's peculiar to me,' she said, 'that everybody pays so much attention to living and so little to dying. Why are these high-powered scientists always screwing around trying to prolong life instead of finding pleasant ways to end it? There must be a hell of a lot of people in the world like me--who want to die but haven't got the guts."
- Horace McCoy

"I lived my whole life following others' wishes. Let me follow my own wish in my death."
- Shon Mehta

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, it's_all_a_game, deflationary and 1 other person
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
"I think and think and think. I've thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it."

"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living."

"Why didn't I learn to treat everything like it was the last time. My greatest regret was how much I believed in the future."

"You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."

"He awoke each morning with the desire to do right, to be a good and meaningful person, to be, as simple as it sounded and as impossible as it actually was, happy. And during the course of each day his heart would descend from his chest into his stomach. By early afternoon he was overcome by the feeling that nothing was right, or nothing was right for him, and by the desire to be alone. By evening he was fulfilled: alone in the magnitude of his grief, alone in his aimless guilt, alone even in his loneliness. I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. As if he might one day convince himself. Or fool himself. Or convince others--the only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad. I am not sad. I am not sad. Because his life had unlimited potential for happiness, insofar as it was an empty white room. He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all. And each morning he would wake with it again in the cupboard of his rib cage, having become a little heavier, a little weaker, but still pumping. And by the midafternoon he was again overcome with the desire to be somewhere else, someone else, someone else somewhere else. I am not sad."

- Jonathan Safran Foer
Damn. I will need to read this book. I have lived several of these kinds of days. Clearly, the author has too.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Damn. I will need to read this book. I have lived several of these kinds of days. Clearly, the author has too.
These are actually from two books "Everything is Illuminated" and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close". Although both are nice I like the first one better (the last quote comes from it).

deflationary

deflationary

Fussy exister. Living in the epilogue
Mar 11, 2020
"Our 'love for life' is always, in some way, unrequited love. (...) Life does not care about us, it does not even know of our whereabouts. Contrary to what is said, it gives nothing for free, everything we manage to obtain is snatched away from us. Life does not need us. We chase after it, we humiliate ourselves, we beg, we accept everything it makes us go through, the greatest sufferings. Many are capable of the worst moral acts just to preserve it a bit more. (...) To those who ask, "But, do you not love life?" we should answer, in a poetic way: "Of course I love life; I always did. I always wanted to live, but it is life that does not let me live, that limits me, that hurts me, that makes me ill and destroys me. It is not me who does not want to live, because life is everything I always wanted. I wanted to build and life tore down everything I built; I wanted to love and life killed everything I loved. Do not say that I do not love life; it is life that does not love me, that does not love anybody."

- Julio Cabrera

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, ncmxm, Élégie and 2 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Le plus grand mystère n'est pas que nous soyons jetés au hasard entre la profusion de la matière et celle des astres; c'est que, dans cette prison, nous tirions de nous-mêmes des images assez puissantes pour nier notre néant.

(Literal translation: The greatest mystery is not that we are thrown at random between the profusion of matter and that of the stars; it is that, in this prison, we draw from our own selves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness.)

André Malraux, La Condition humaine (1933)

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and UseItOrLoseIt
O

ophelia_

Aug 26, 2021
I had sadness for breakfast.
-Andy Milonakis

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

"I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's like I was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. That sort of feeling."
― Haruki Murakami

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, LastLoveLetter, ncmxm and 3 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
"I have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's like I was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. That sort of feeling."
― Haruki Murakami
Murakami missing the Nobel again made me mad a little. I guess it's hard to do it if you transcend politics.

Here's to another who didn't ever win because he was larger than life...
The Suicide

Not a single star will be left in the night.
The night will not be left.
I will die and, with me,
the weight of the intolerable universe.
I shall erase the pyramids, the medallions,
the continents and faces.
I shall erase the accumulated past.
I shall make dust of history, dust of dust.
Now I am looking on the final sunset.
I am hearing the last bird.
I bequeath nothingness to no one.

- Jorge Luis Borges
PMKx

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, LastLoveLetter, it's_all_a_game and 4 others
O

ophelia_

Aug 26, 2021
Murakami missing the Nobel again made me mad a little. I guess it's hard to do it if you transcend politics.

Here's to another who didn't ever win because he was larger than life...
The Suicide

Not a single star will be left in the night.
The night will not be left.
I will die and, with me,
the weight of the intolerable universe.
I shall erase the pyramids, the medallions,
the continents and faces.
I shall erase the accumulated past.
I shall make dust of history, dust of dust.
Now I am looking on the final sunset.
I am hearing the last bird.
I bequeath nothingness to no one.

- Jorge Luis Borges
View attachment 75782

I love, love Murakami. The Jorge Luis Borges quote is beautiful , I've not seen that one before. Thank you. :) Didn't he miss out a few times? Like you mentioned, it's said to be politically motivated, which is a huge shame. In the end, it's the reader who is the most important and their work will stand the test of time.

Another:

"But even so, every now and then I would feel a violent stab of loneliness. The very water I drink, the very air I breathe, would feel like long, sharp needles. The pages of a book in my hands would take on the threatening metallic gleam of razor blades. I could hear the roots of loneliness creeping through me when the world was hushed at four o'clock in the morning."
― Haruki Murakami

• Love
Reactions: ncmxm and not-2-b-the-answer
deflationary

deflationary

Fussy exister. Living in the epilogue
Mar 11, 2020
"Droll thing life is—that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself—that comes too late—a crop of unextinguishable regrets. I have wrestled with death. It is the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place in an impalpable grayness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamour, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly atmosphere of tepid skepticism, without much belief in your own right, and still less in that of your adversary. If such is the form of ultimate wisdom, then life is a greater riddle than some of us think it to be."

- Joseph Conrad

• Love
Reactions: LastLoveLetter, it's_all_a_game, Élégie and 4 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
"And so I leave this world, where the heart must either break or turn to lead."

-- Nicolas Chamfort

"This poor child of five was subjected to every possible torture by her cultivated parents. They beat her, thrashed her, kicked her for no reason till her body was one bruise. Then, they went to greater refinements of cruelty—shut her up all night in the cold and frost in a privy, and because she didn't ask to be taken up at night (as though a child of five sleeping its angelic, sound sleep could be trained to wake and ask), they smeared her face and filled her mouth with excrement, and it was her mother, her mother did this. And that mother could sleep, hearing the poor child's groans! Can you understand why a little creature, who can't even understand what's done to her, should beat her little aching heart with her tiny fist in the dark and the cold, and weep her meek unresentful tears to dear, kind God to protect her? Do you understand that, friend and brother, you pious and humble monk? Do you understand why this must be and is permitted?"

-- F. M. Dostoevsky

N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
One very wise mand said many times to me: "You got one life, so smoke the best, drink the best, drive the best, fuck the best."

• Love
Reactions: ncmxm, not-2-b-the-answer and restforeternity
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge" - Paul Gaugin

• Love
Reactions: LastLoveLetter and not-2-b-the-answer
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
"Just because it was a suicide doesn't mean there wasn't a murderer."

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Celerity and 1 other person