Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I'll start.

"The safest way of not being very miserable is not to expect to be very happy" - Arthur Schopenhauer

"Try as much as possible to be wholly alive with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough." - Ernest Hemingway

I didn't really understand the latter until I had a bout with severe anhedonia for one hellish year. Our man Hemingway knew his shit.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: _Minsk, DuckieWaddles, binturong and 25 others
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
qjepEDORJn.jpg

Kj6OaRr8J0.jpg

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: _Minsk, ophelia_, not-2-b-the-answer and 6 others
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Conspiracy against the human race book has hell of a lot of good words and paragraphs.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, heretogethelp, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
4nojpunazri31.png

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Venessolotic, BeautifulMosaics, Rogue Proxy and 24 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
"Is man one of God's blunders? Or, is God one of man's blunders?"

Friedrich Nietzsche

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, Forever Sleep, miserableforever and 13 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Cliche or not, it's still one of my favorite quotes:

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

--William Shakespeare

"We are aberrations—beings born undead, neither one thing nor another, or two things at once … uncanny things that have nothing to do with the rest of creation, horrors that poison the world by sowing our madness everywhere we go, glutting daylight and darkness with incorporeal obscenities."

-- Thomas Ligotti

"Besides, I'm not in the mood for all this today. I have no desire to demonstrate, surprise, amuse, or persuade. My goal is absolute rest. To know nothing, to teach nothing, to want nothing, to sense nothing, to sleep, and then to sleep more."

--Charles Baudelaire

• Love
Reactions: RazzleDazzle, not-2-b-the-answer, Dymming Star6 and 12 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Life Being Shit, eh? South Park illuminated this issue to me almost ten years ago:

KyleWhat's up?
StanKyle, I have to admit something to you. You know how I told you over the phone I like the new Gersploosh album? I lied. I don't like it. I don't like it at all, Kyle.
KyleOh. Really? Um well that's okay.
StanNo, you don't understand dude. Something's happened. Tween Wave doesn't sound the same to me.
KyleWhy? What's it sound like?
StanIt... kind of sounds like shit.
KyleWhat? You mean like you don't like the singing, or the lyrics, or what?
StanNo. I mean it sounds like somebody is shitting in my ears. Please, just listen really close. [has Kyle listen to a track] You don't hear shit?
KyleNo.
StanThat doesn't sound like shit to you?
KyleNO. Dude, maybe you should see a doctor.
A doctor's office, day. Stan took Kyle's advice. A doctor is checking Stan's ears
StanAnd so then I put on exactly the same album that I really like a year ago, and it sounded like shit to me.
Doctor CarollUh huh, and what about food? Are some of the things you thought tasted good tasting like shit to you now, too?
StanYeah. I used to love these Pop Rock things, and I tried them the other day and I thought they tasted like shit.
Doctor Caroll[reads his medical file] This says you had a birthday recently?
StanI just turned 10.
Doctor CarollWell, that makes sense. You see Stan, as you get older, your eardrums, taste buds, all that stuff develops and changes.
StanSo this is normal?
Doctor CarollIt's very normal. Let's just do a quick ear exam. I'm gonna play some Tween Wave music and you tell me what you hear. [plays some music, with lots of fart sounds]What's that sound like to you?
StanSounds like shit.
Doctor CarollAha. Now I'm going to play you some good ole Bob Dylan. [plays a Dylan track. Dylan gets through three syllables before fart sounds replace him.]
StanUh that sounds like shit too.
Doctor CarollWait, this sounds like shit to you?
StanYeah dude, it's just shit.
Doctor CarollWell that's very strange. [turns off the player] Hm, I'm gonna try somethin' else. [takes two pictures up to Stan] Look at these two pictures. One of them is an ad for Kevin James' new movie The Zookeeper, and the other is a turd in a microwave. Which one is the ad for The Zookeeper?
StanThey both look the same. [true enough, except for the turds]
Doctor CarollYou don't see any difference in the pictures?
StanNo.
Doctor Caroll[holds up the picture in his right hand] That is an ad for The Zookeeper and [holds up the picture in his left hand] that is a turd about to be reheated.
StanThey both look like turds about to be reheated to me.
Doctor CarollOh dear. I think I know what this is. You see Stan, as you get older, things that you used to like start looking and sounding like shit. And things that seemed shitty as a child don't seem as shitty. With you, somehow, the wires have gotten crossed and everything looks and sounds like shit to you. It's a condition called "being a cynical asshole."
StanOh no.
Doctor CarollYes. And there's no known cure, I'm afraid. Everything just seems shitty, and everyone starts to seem shitty, and everything they say just starts to [sounds shitty now, and Stan can't believe his ears. Soon, shit comes out of the doctor's mouth and Stan is more horrified]
No quote, but this next segment shows how I sort of felt with depression too. The only way I've been able to stay sane is by finding ironic or dumb reasons to like things before they become genuine to me...

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Dymming Star6, ithappens and 4 others
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
What is evil? What is good? In nature, there is only predator and prey.
—Blane the Insane, Guild Wars 2

All animals
—George Orwell, Animal Farm

Yxbg1kw59n541
Epicurus' Trilemma, The Problem of Evil

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, _Minsk, miserableforever and 13 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
1993B3ED 2F86 4B65 9D0F 200456E6D37D
Life Being Shit, eh? South Park illuminated this issue to me almost ten years ago:

KyleWhat's up?
StanKyle, I have to admit something to you. You know how I told you over the phone I like the new Gersploosh album? I lied. I don't like it. I don't like it at all, Kyle.
KyleOh. Really? Um well that's okay.
StanNo, you don't understand dude. Something's happened. Tween Wave doesn't sound the same to me.
KyleWhy? What's it sound like?
StanIt... kind of sounds like shit.
KyleWhat? You mean like you don't like the singing, or the lyrics, or what?
StanNo. I mean it sounds like somebody is shitting in my ears. Please, just listen really close. [has Kyle listen to a track] You don't hear shit?
KyleNo.
StanThat doesn't sound like shit to you?
KyleNO. Dude, maybe you should see a doctor.
A doctor's office, day. Stan took Kyle's advice. A doctor is checking Stan's ears
StanAnd so then I put on exactly the same album that I really like a year ago, and it sounded like shit to me.
Doctor CarollUh huh, and what about food? Are some of the things you thought tasted good tasting like shit to you now, too?
StanYeah. I used to love these Pop Rock things, and I tried them the other day and I thought they tasted like shit.
Doctor Caroll[reads his medical file] This says you had a birthday recently?
StanI just turned 10.
Doctor CarollWell, that makes sense. You see Stan, as you get older, your eardrums, taste buds, all that stuff develops and changes.
StanSo this is normal?
Doctor CarollIt's very normal. Let's just do a quick ear exam. I'm gonna play some Tween Wave music and you tell me what you hear. [plays some music, with lots of fart sounds]What's that sound like to you?
StanSounds like shit.
Doctor CarollAha. Now I'm going to play you some good ole Bob Dylan. [plays a Dylan track. Dylan gets through three syllables before fart sounds replace him.]
StanUh that sounds like shit too.
Doctor CarollWait, this sounds like shit to you?
StanYeah dude, it's just shit.
Doctor CarollWell that's very strange. [turns off the player] Hm, I'm gonna try somethin' else. [takes two pictures up to Stan] Look at these two pictures. One of them is an ad for Kevin James' new movie The Zookeeper, and the other is a turd in a microwave. Which one is the ad for The Zookeeper?
StanThey both look the same. [true enough, except for the turds]
Doctor CarollYou don't see any difference in the pictures?
StanNo.
Doctor Caroll[holds up the picture in his right hand] That is an ad for The Zookeeper and [holds up the picture in his left hand] that is a turd about to be reheated.
StanThey both look like turds about to be reheated to me.
Doctor CarollOh dear. I think I know what this is. You see Stan, as you get older, things that you used to like start looking and sounding like shit. And things that seemed shitty as a child don't seem as shitty. With you, somehow, the wires have gotten crossed and everything looks and sounds like shit to you. It's a condition called "being a cynical asshole."
StanOh no.
Doctor CarollYes. And there's no known cure, I'm afraid. Everything just seems shitty, and everyone starts to seem shitty, and everything they say just starts to [sounds shitty now, and Stan can't believe his ears. Soon, shit comes out of the doctor's mouth and Stan is more horrified]
No quote, but this next segment shows how I sort of felt with depression too. The only way I've been able to stay sane is by finding ironic or dumb reasons to like things before they become genuine to me...

I love being a cynical asshole! At least you can act smugly superior.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, Rabbit, rioghbhardain and 9 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I love being a cynical asshole! At least you can act smugly superior.
True, though I've gotten flack for it just as much and find myself sometimes wishing I really could just genuinely enjoy a thing almost everyone else seems to be into...

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
Deadlyroses

Deadlyroses

Sad Millennial
Mar 28, 2021
"Depression sucks and life is shit"

-Me

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Venessolotic, _Minsk, not-2-b-the-answer and 14 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
"No one dies a virgin, life fucks us all."
-Kurt Cobain

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Venessolotic, Forever Sleep, StarryStarry and 19 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I'm gonna abuse this thread so much...

"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

--David Foster Wallace (CTBed on September 12, 2008)

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, _Minsk, LastLoveLetter and 22 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
I'm gonna abuse this thread so much...

"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

--David Foster Wallace (CTBed on September 12, 2008)
This is exactly it. And RIP.

I wish it hadn't come to this. I wish I could enjoy life, but it seems I can't. At some point, you look at the board and realize that you're fucked. No amount of squinting and pleading will change what has already happened and what inevitably will. You have lost, and there's no point in prolonging the misery.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: StarryStarry, not-2-b-the-answer, Mia Wallace and 8 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Suicides have already betrayed the body.

Still-born, they don't always die,
but dazzled, they can't forget a drug so sweet
that even children would look on and smile.

To thrust all that life under your tongue!—
that, all by itself, becomes a passion.
Death's a sad bone; bruised, you'd say,

and yet she waits for me, year after year,
to so delicately undo an old wound,
to empty my breath from its bad prison.

-- Anne Sexton

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, littlelungs, Sinai Silence and 2 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to sea and sink."
--Shunryu Suzuki

• Love
Reactions: miserableforever, not-2-b-the-answer, ithappens and 7 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
  • Love
Reactions: _Minsk, binturong, Élégie and 13 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
"Action is transitory - a step, a blow,
The motion of a muscle - this way or that -
'Tis done, and in the after-vacancy
We wonder at ourselves like men betrayed;
Suffering is permanent, obscure and dark,
And shares the nature of infinity."

--William Wordsworth

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, not-2-b-the-answer, Dymming Star6 and 6 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Dying is an art, like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell.

-- S. Plath

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Dymming Star6, ithappens and 7 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Everyone stands alone at the heart of the world
pierced by a ray of sunlight:
and soon it is evening

-- Salvatore Quasimodo

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Dymming Star6, heretogethelp and 1 other person
it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, Forever Sleep, _Minsk and 23 others
puppet_nihilist

puppet_nihilist

cogito, ergo sum
Jan 8, 2021
"I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth"

~ Kurt Vonnegut

• Love
Reactions: jello, Wishfulignorance, Zzzzz and 9 others
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
"Every human being must have a point at which he stands against the culture, where he says, this is me and the damned world can go to hell."

- Rollo May

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, demuic, bea1974 and 8 others
domedune

domedune

the stars will aid my escape
Dec 18, 2019
  • Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Dymming Star6, Superdeterminist and 5 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Death was defiance. Death was an attempt to communicate; people feeling the impossibility of reaching the center which, mystically, evaded them; closeness drew apart; rapture faded, one was alone. There was an embrace in death.

-- V. Woolf

• Love
Reactions: bea1974, jello, not-2-b-the-answer and 8 others
LastLoveLetter

LastLoveLetter

Persephone
Mar 28, 2021
  • Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, miserableforever, binturong and 20 others