• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
Hello everyone

I had a meeting yesterday with my psychiatrist and hee told me I should detox from my lorazepam with the help of diazepam.

I take 1 mg in the morning and 1 mg in the afternoon. But very regulary, at least every other day I take 3 in the afternoon because the anxiety and depression is unbearable.

The psych said worst case I need to go to a detox clinic.

I'm afraid stuff will get worse. It's already bad. I'm even having ctb thoughts the last couple of weeks.

Anyone have experience with quitting lorazapam (or other benzo',s) and have advice??

I will have a conversation with the psych later about the specifics

A

amra81nz

Mar 22, 2024
It won't be easy if you been on them long term. You gonna have to go through withdrawal most likely. I'm surprised they still prescribed it that much to you. They won't give me more than 4 pills per month

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I didn't go through it myself but I saw many ppl in psych ward withdrawing from lorazepam..... to be honest, it seems to be not fun at all.
Wishing you good luck for it.
It won't be easy if you been on them long term. You gonna have to go through withdrawal most likely. I'm surprised they still prescribed it that much to you. They won't give me more than 4 pills per month
It's really surprising since it is well known that the withdrawal is not easy. Rather than surprinsing it seems abusive, though.

I ve heard many times that quitting lorazepam is compared to quitting heroin. I even once met a guy in a psych ward who had been addicted to heroin and later to lorazepam. He confirmed the comparison.

Last edited:
arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
This doesn't sound good at all. Will it really be that bad with 2-5 pills a day? I'm already very depressed and the extra lorazepam is the only thing that works for me. Though it might be placebo-effect... I don't know. I don't feel any effect of those 2 I take daily but I have skipped the second on a couple occasions and it didn't give me withdrawal symptoms. I feel like shit most days anyway so it's hard to say what's the cause.

B

biasedregret

Feb 23, 2024
If you're having CTB thoughts, a benzo withdrawal process is going to make that worse, probably. If you proceed, I'd go VERY slow on the taper. Like, this may take a year or so. It needs to be as gentle of a glide path as possible.

Fortunately, 2 mg isn't a crazy amount of lorazepam. I think this is doable.

Good news with diazepam as well is that it has a very long half life and metabolizes into other benzodiazepines (nordiazepam, temazepam, oxazepam), so that will help with the taper.

But honestly, if this drug helps you function, maybe your doc would be willing to keep you on a diazepam prescription for the long run? Benzodiazepines have their place, and I've personally found them to improve my own life.

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
This doesn't sound good at all. Will it really be that bad with 2-5 pills a day? I'm already very depressed and the extra lorazepam is the only thing that works for me. Though it might be placebo-effect... I don't know. I don't feel any effect of those 2 I take daily but I have skipped the second on a couple occasions and it didn't give me withdrawal symptoms. I feel like shit most days anyway so it's hard to say what's the cause.
Thanks for your response. I can't imagine feeling much worse than I already do daily. Taking the extra lorazepam calms me down or maybe it's a placebo, either way it works. I still use many pills that don't work (clomipramine, lithium, olanzapine).
On the other hand I feel kind of glad my psych is doing something about the 'lorazepam problem'. I struggle every day wether I should take them (the extra 2) or not. Last week it's been most of the days. In the end I might be able to use lorazepam only when needed... But how often is that. Everybody has an other awnser to that question.

ResidentEvil

ResidentEvil

Student
Mar 2, 2024
I don't know how long time you have been on them, so it's hard to give you an educated answer.

What i can tell you for sure is Lorazepam is a short acting benzo like Xanax/alprazolam so the withdrawals if you get them, will hit you harder, if you compare it to stopping taking klonopin/rivotril- or diazepam since they are long acting.

It sounds like a good idea to switch to diazepam. It will help you withdrawing from them. Just NEVER go cold turkey. Have respect for the medication. Trust me on this. There is no medication in the world, that can give you a worse time than benzodiazepines. It can be hell on earth! I know this first hand. Don't misuse them! Follow the prescription.

This will probably gonna take time, it may give you a hard time in your life. So having someone to supervise it, does not sound like a bad idea.

Anyway. I hope the best!

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
r/benzorecovery is a good resource.

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
I don't know how long time you have been on them, so it's hard to give you an educated answer.

What i can tell you for sure is Lorazepam is a short acting benzo like Xanax/alprazolam so the withdrawals if you get them, will hit you harder, if you compare it to stopping taking klonopin/rivotril- or diazepam since they are long acting.

It sounds like a good idea to switch to diazepam. It will help you withdrawing from them. Just NEVER go cold turkey. Have respect for the medication. Trust me on this. There is no medication in the world, that can give you a worse time than benzodiazepines. It can be hell on earth! I know this first hand. Don't misuse them! Follow the prescription.

This will probably gonna take time, it may give you a hard time in your life. So having someone to supervise it, does not sound like a bad idea.

Anyway. I hope the best!
Thanks
I've been on them over a year. My doctor prescribed me 2.5 mg pills in january last year. Later I took 2 mg and later 1 mg twice a day. I will get diazepam instead but not sure yet how much. There will still be a meeting with my psychiatrist about this.

You know it first hand. Can you tell me more about that? Only if you want.

B

biasedregret

Feb 23, 2024
You should be able to avoid having to redose with diazepam, so just something to keep in mind.

Also definitely ask your psychiatrist if staying on diazepam for the long run makes sense. I know plenty of people who take benzodiazepines daily and are perfectly fine and have never needed to increase their dose.

Based on the studies I've read, most people only develop tolerance to the sedation/euphoria, not to the anxiolysis.

FYI here's the benzo equivalence chart: https://deprescribe.web.unc.edu/wp-...20194/2020/04/Benzo-Equivalency-Table_UNC.pdf

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I've come off high dose, long term prescribed clonazepam. Whatever you do, don't stop abruptly like I did; as I've been left with debilitating protracted benzo withdrawal symptoms.

It's difficult but doable if you taper slowly - it will take time and you've got to be committed to the process.

If you're in the UK, then there's an organisation called postscript360 that can help you tailor a taper schedule and advise you on how to do it safely / support you through the process. If you're not in the UK, then a support group like Benzo Buddies might be useful to you too.

Also, look up the Ashton Manual and that should help you understand the process, drug equivalence, taper schedules etc. Make sure you show the manual to your prescriber - you'll probably be educating them, but they need to know not to try to withdrawal you too quickly (many haven't got a clue how to do it properly).

Happy to chat if you want any specific advice or support.

Edit - reread your post - if he's suggesting switching to diazepam first, then it sounds like he does know what he's doing - this is a good sign!

Last edited:
arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
I've come off high dose, long term prescribed clonazepam. Whatever you do, don't stop abruptly like I did; as I've been left with debilitating protracted benzo withdrawal symptoms.

It's difficult but doable if you taper slowly - it will take time and you've got to be committed to the process.

If you're in the UK, then there's an organisation called postscript360 that can help you tailor a taper schedule and advise you on how to do it safely / support you through the process. If you're not in the UK, then a support group like Benzo Buddies might be useful to you too.

Also, look up the Ashton Manual and that should help you understand the process, drug equivalence, taper schedules etc. Make sure you show the manual to your prescriber - you'll probably be educating them, but they need to know not to try to withdrawal you too quickly (many haven't got a clue how to do it properly).

Happy to chat if you want any specific advice or support.

Edit - reread your post - if he's suggesting switching to diazepam first, then it sounds like he does know what he's doing - this is a good sign!
Thanks.
He only said it would be with the use of diazepam and if necessary the help of a detox clinic. The latter sounds scary. Like im a drug addict.

Im sort of happy there is finally some clarity on how and when to use this medicine. I've been dropping 3 of them when I felt desperate but that is almost every other day, if not more.

This Friday me and the psychiatrist have a meeting about this. Then I'll know more and will let you know.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tesha
ResidentEvil

ResidentEvil

Student
Mar 2, 2024
Thanks
I've been on them over a year. My doctor prescribed me 2.5 mg pills in january last year. Later I took 2 mg and later 1 mg twice a day. I will get diazepam instead but not sure yet how much. There will still be a meeting with my psychiatrist about this.

You know it first hand. Can you tell me more about that? Only if you want.
I don't wanna frighten you. And every person is different.
It's almost impossible to tell you, how much you are going to suffer from the withdrawals. Some almost don't get them at all.
But i believe there is a HUGE difference in, if there is a mental disorder underneath.

But to explain it to you in a simple term, The way Lorazepam works your brain become used to that. When you are stopping your brain has developed a tolerance and adjusted your brain to the drug. So your brain has to go back to where it was, before you started taking the medicine. It reduces anxiety, makes you sedated, put a damper on things. So in your brains recovery process, there are a huge list of symptoms you could get.

Some I experienced, are of the more obvious: Panic attacks, over stimulated, sleeping issues, confusion, restless legs, emotional. And a lot more. Go on google and search: Benzodiazepine WIthdrawal. Then you should get all your answers.

But my experience: It was hell. I could only lay in bed, and doing nothing else. It was absolute horrible.

So i hope you will get it easier than i did.

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
I don't wanna frighten you. And every person is different.
It's almost impossible to tell you, how much you are going to suffer from the withdrawals. Some almost don't get them at all.
But i believe there is a HUGE difference in, if there is a mental disorder underneath.

But to explain it to you in a simple term, The way Lorazepam works your brain become used to that. When you are stopping your brain has developed a tolerance and adjusted your brain to the drug. So your brain has to go back to where it was, before you started taking the medicine. It reduces anxiety, makes you sedated, put a damper on things. So in your brains recovery process, there are a huge list of symptoms you could get.

Some I experienced, are of the more obvious: Panic attacks, over stimulated, sleeping issues, confusion, restless legs, emotional. And a lot more. Go on google and search: Benzodiazepine WIthdrawal. Then you should get all your answers.

But my experience: It was hell. I could only lay in bed, and doing nothing else. It was absolute horrible.

So i hope you will get it easier than i did.

I read another account by someone that had about the same intake as me that quit in 10 weeks...
I quit a third pill (1 mg) in the evening without any problems before.
What benzo were you on and how long did it take? Did you use a substitute?

ResidentEvil

ResidentEvil

Student
Mar 2, 2024
I read another account by someone that had about the same intake as me that quit in 10 weeks...
I quit a third pill (1 mg) in the evening without any problems before.
What benzo were you on and how long did it take? Did you use a substitute?
Every case is different. But it is absolutely possible :)
Yes. I used Diazepam at that time. I don't remember the time frame
The shorter time spent on benzos, the quicker normally it is to quit them.
There is not much more i can tell you, because it's so different what each person goes through.

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
Once the people who give me rTMS treatment give their ok, I'm ready.

I use on avarage 3 pills (2 standard, 2 extra when needed). So we go down 0.5 pill per week. Starting with the 'extra'. This way I can still take extra meds, but it will be a little less. Next steps will be going down 0.5 mg on the afternoon dose, and on the morning dose.

Wether I'll take diazepam or go in a rehab clinic depends on how this goes.

The last milligrams of quitting lorazepam is supposed to be the worst. At that time we'll have created a plan to go slower.

StillBreathing

StillBreathing

Student
Dec 4, 2022
How long does it take to get dependant on Xanax? I have been taking it almost every day for anxiety and as a sleep aid for about about 6 months. Im taking 4mg most days now. I started using it on script but slowly needed higher dosages to feel any effect so currently not taking them prescribed. Feeling resistant to ask my doctor for advice as he scolded me when I told him I took it off script at times.

Edit: I am thinking of tapering down so I can continue to function at work. Can't deal with withdrawal symptoms rn.

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
According to others my depression became worse since I tapered down on lorazepam. They might be right. I feel even more terrible than I used to.

Right now my maximum intake is 2.5 mg and it used to be 4mg. My psychiatrist told me to keep at this amount because I told him I am doing so bad Im having suicidal thoughts. Not sure what the next step will be. Psych is on vacation so a replacement will decide.

Wish I could feel normal again. Been almost a year since I felt normal.

• Aww..
Reactions: Mirrory Me
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
You're doing brilliantly.

Some people get rebound effects when dropping the dose and it sounds like this is where you're at. They often calm down, but if it's an underlying condition reappearing they may suggest adding in an anti-depressant, while keeping you at 2.5mg until you stabilise again. They can then look to slowly restart the taper.

It's sadly a long process for some people…. 🫂

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
You're doing brilliantly.

Some people get rebound effects when dropping the dose and it sounds like this is where you're at. They often calm down, but if it's an underlying condition reappearing they may suggest adding in an anti-depressant, while keeping you at 2.5mg until you stabilise again. They can then look to slowly restart the taper.

It's sadly a long process for some people…. 🫂
They haven't calm down so far. I am feeling desperate and suicidal. Trying not to take the maximum dose of 2.5 but the 'normal' dose of 1.5. I'm allowed 2.5 every other day. Taking extra barely helps if at all. Maybe it's just a placebo.

I juat want to feel NORMAL again

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
These drugs are absolutely shit. I'm sorry you're going through this.

It sounds like you're being tapered too quickly (presumably the doctor didn't switch you to diazepam). It's also not going to help if you're doing a higher dose one day, then a lower one. It's called kindling and it really screws you up.

You should go back up to last dose that felt 'ok'. Stabilise on that again and then think about restarting a slower taper.

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
These drugs are absolutely shit. I'm sorry you're going through this.

It sounds like you're being tapered too quickly (presumably the doctor didn't switch you to diazepam). It's also not going to help if you're doing a higher dose one day, then a lower one. It's called kindling and it really screws you up.

You should go back up to last dose that felt 'ok'. Stabilise on that again and then think about restarting a slower taper.
The idea was to switch to diazepam later if stuff Gets tough in the last phase. Psych said if it's really unbearable I could go to a rehab clinic. I really don't want to go to a hospital again. The last two times didn't help.

Not to offend you but I'll stick to whatever my psychiatrist advices

• Love
Reactions: Tesha