• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
marked as NSFW because of PSA

I suddenly remembered this viral PSA and wondered if landmines are an actual serious issue or threat or normal thing in Australia and how/why they even ended up there

edit: accidentally sent off the post early and didn't get to add more info about this PSA

Reactions: Rocinante
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I hadn't heard of this.

Land mines are not at all an issue here as we have had almost no military combat on these shores, ever. It's a bonus of being too unimportant to be worth anyone's time.

There are some real threats, though. There's some truth to the stereotype about dangerous wildlife, even if it's rare that anyone actually gets killed this way. We've got a deadly asbestos-ridden ghost town called Wittenoom and an area that was contaminated by British nuclear testing. But of course, in practice, most people die the usual boring ways - heart attacks, car accidents, etc.

There are several regions of the world where landmines are a major issue. Examples include Cambodia and the DMZ between North and South Korea.

P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
We've got a deadly asbestos-ridden ghost town called Wittenoom and an area that was contaminated by British nuclear testing.
thank you for sharing I am surprised that I haven't heard about this place before as someone who used to watch urban exploring videos (they tend to explore places like that even if it's dangerous or possibly illegal for example Chernobyl)

hadn't heard of this.

after I skimmed the wiki article I discovered that is was a mock PSA intended to keep teens/children from skipping school but also it was intended to shock like many other infamous viral videos of the late 2000s and early 2010s

but also there have been many other PSAs I've viewed in the past about the issue or concern of landmines but I never caught what regions they were supposed to be for but they were usually narrated by people with ?English? accents so I wondered if it is a major concern in countries like Australia and United Kingdom

but also some of these advertisements (which I remember being from the 80s) make sense when I think of the UK because of films like Threads (1984) and When The Wind Blows (1986) (also a graphic novel)

I am not a history or geography buff though

but it is always interesting to learn of hear about these things or see these pieces of media

There's some truth to the stereotype about dangerous wildlife, even if it's rare that anyone actually gets killed this way.

This reminded me of when I was convinced and tricked into thinking that those Mountain Snakes (or maybe it was called a Bush or Tree Snake) were real ? maybe they are ?

but the wildlife there and the diversity of it although it may be life threatening is very fascinating especially of the insect variety

I had no idea Black Widows could be so huge !

sorry for rambling/a long reply/wall of text

• Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante and Pluto