BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
I've been taking Pristiq, Buspar, and Ritalin together for a little over a month. This is probably my 10th week or so on Pristiq, 5th week at my current dose.

For some context... As some people may know, last month was rather tumultuous. I was still spiraling, but also have been on a two week bender with pot and occasionally alcohol (now that I can finally drink again). My suicidal urges have steadily been getting worse, more tempting; I have to fight myself to not go through with another attempt. I had two attempts recently while I was intoxicated. And I've had bad urges to self-harm since I was an adolescent, but even those urges have been getting absolutely unbearable. I try not to cut when the urges are so bad because I wouldn't be in full control, but I gave in last week and went too far.

I think the bender itself is leveling out, but the cravings are so damn strong. I can't stand being sober during the day. I've been dissociating more severely for the past month, and it's still going on now. Not sure if that's partly fueling this. I don't even like being intoxicated, it's not fun. It's really just a way to hurt myself, and seems to help me escape for a bit.

I've been thinking today and realized that perhaps my medications are also fueling the cravings. I recall hearing others say that their antidepressants made them crave alcohol, and was wondering if perhaps my spiraling issues are related to my meds.

Your stories and experiences are more than welcome, feel free to share your thoughts (whether you agree or disagree, etc). Hell, call me an idiot for continuing to let myself spiral. I'm up for discussion.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sherri, JusttryingtoDeal and Callie Arcale
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
I had bad cravings when I was on Sertraline, but I wasn't craving alcohol, I was craving food. I was literally hungry all the time, and I was craving salty, sweet and sour. My doctor said it wasn't the meds, she said it was my depression and anxiety causing me to stress eat. But as soon as I came off them, the cravings dimished, so I'm not sure she was right. My depression and anxiety are still here, though. Anyway I hated having cravings, they were controlling my life... I understand your situation and I can imagine your struggle is so hard. Not sure if my experience helps you, but I wanted to let you know you're not the only one to experience cravings on antidepressants. Please take care @BitterlyAlive_ ((Hugs)) All the best to you :heart:

• Love
Reactions: JusttryingtoDeal and BitterlyAlive_
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
I had bad cravings when I was on Sertraline, but I wasn't craving alcohol, I was craving food. I was literally hungry all the time, and I was craving salty, sweet and sour. My doctor said it wasn't the meds, she said it was my depression and anxiety causing me to stress eat. But as soon as I came off them, the cravings dimished, so I'm not sure she was right. My depression and anxiety are still here, though. Anyway I hated having cravings, they were controlling my life... I understand your situation and I can imagine your struggle is so hard. Not sure if my experience helps you, but I wanted to let you know you're not the only one to experience cravings on antidepressants. Please take care @BitterlyAlive_ ((Hugs)) All the best to you :heart:
It's always a treat to be able to talk with you. Haha. I think it was the meds as well, because they affect serotonin in the gut if I remember right. Hormones as well. That's apt to cause appetite changes, cravings.

I've always had that addictive personality though, so it could be a number of factirs.

• Love
Reactions: JusttryingtoDeal and Callie Arcale
JusttryingtoDeal

JusttryingtoDeal

Feb 21, 2021
My first time on antidepressants began in November- prescribed Wellbutrin and Abilify for BPD. My doctor said that smoking weed and alcohol were akin to playing Russian Roulette given chemical interaction possibilities et al. I went on a similar bender in January and went off the meds fearing this combination.

What I found was that the cravings waned significantly when I stopped taking the meds. You may be on to something as far as the antidepressants fueling the addiction!

As a sort of epilogue, I went back to the doctor today to reset my regimen. I hope that the desire to drink doesn't hit me as hard as it did before and may try pot again as soon as I get a new job. Ideation has been rampant for me the last 8 weeks, but I'm hopeful the med reset will work. I have been dealing with depression since 1995 and severely for the last ten years. Happy to share in the future, thanks for posting your experience

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I've been taking Pristiq, Buspar, and Ritalin together for a little over a month. This is probably my 10th week or so on Pristiq, 5th week at my current dose.

For some context... As some people may know, last month was rather tumultuous. I was still spiraling, but also have been on a two week bender with pot and occasionally alcohol (now that I can finally drink again). My suicidal urges have steadily been getting worse, more tempting; I have to fight myself to not go through with another attempt. I had two attempts recently while I was intoxicated. And I've had bad urges to self-harm since I was an adolescent, but even those urges have been getting absolutely unbearable. I try not to cut when the urges are so bad because I wouldn't be in full control, but I gave in last week and went too far.

I think the bender itself is leveling out, but the cravings are so damn strong. I can't stand being sober during the day. I've been dissociating more severely for the past month, and it's still going on now. Not sure if that's partly fueling this. I don't even like being intoxicated, it's not fun. It's really just a way to hurt myself, and seems to help me escape for a bit.

I've been thinking today and realized that perhaps my medications are also fueling the cravings. I recall hearing others say that their antidepressants made them crave alcohol, and was wondering if perhaps my spiraling issues are related to my meds.

Your stories and experiences are more than welcome, feel free to share your thoughts (whether you agree or disagree, etc). Hell, call me an idiot for continuing to let myself spiral. I'm up for discussion.
I'm sorry for what has happened to you these past weeks my sweet @BitterlyAlive_ , Im also on a cocktail of meds, but I refrain from drinking or smoking pot. Could it be that mixing the meds with the benders could have caused the suicidal thoughts, maybe a change of meds if it's causing you cravings for drink? Mine don't have that effect on me, I'm always stable. The only cravings I have is the prescribed opioids I get. Hope you find a way to get better. Love you sweetie.

Reactions: JusttryingtoDeal